Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 11:47 AM

13,458 posts, read 4,292,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Florida has figured out how to get college students to vote. The Republican dominated state government in Florida does NOT want college students to vote. They are purposely creating new laws which will prevent some college students from voting, knowing that the sole reason for the new law is to prevent some college students from voting. The GOP uses this method of voter suppression to win elections. It works. Fewer college students will vote if they can no longer use the Student ID to as a valid photo ID to vote. So the GOP enacts laws to make it more difficult for students to vote. If students voted heavily Republican, the GOP wouldn't enact these laws. The intent is to reduce the number of student voters. Maybe they get 9,000 fewer students to vote with such law. Could flip a few elections to R with this new law.

Clueless. Florida knows that they get many students out of state and country. They don't want students that come to Florida to study to vote in 2 or more places (that's illegal)

I know people (especially students) that vote in multiple states. There is no task force to crack down on this because the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Counties or precincts don't talk to other counties from other states. Since this is not federal, the states manages it, the system is open for fraud.

My friend did it. She lives in the basement of her parents in 1 state and she left to California for college. She voted in 2 places. I know people from Puerto Rico that votes in 2 places.m Some are college, others are workers. That's illegal but can't be enforced unless somebody reports them directly with the evidence and that's not the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 11:49 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
I voted this morning (city-wide election for Council members) and had to show ID. Nearly all the poll workers were people of color. I guess they're racist too?

<off to read some Dr Seuss>...

Old 04-27-2021, 11:54 AM

1,262 posts, read 561,609 times
I'm in favor of everyone having ID in general. And while we are spending billions on some other boondoggle, let's use some money to assist the states in getting everybody a photo ID. Feds can kick in the cost for simple identification or have a fund available for those who are truly unable to pay.

This just for a card with a photo that says who you are and confirms that you are a citizen. Driver license costs are on the individual.

Old 04-27-2021, 11:57 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
I'm in favor of everyone having ID in general. And while we are spending billions on some other boondoggle, let's use some money to assist the states in getting everybody a photo ID. Feds can kick in the cost for simple identification or have a fund available for those who are truly unable to pay.

This just for a card with a photo that says who you are and confirms that you are a citizen. Driver license costs are on the individual.
Good solution, but I think you'll be called a racist for suggesting it. Anything that shifts accountability to the poor and people of color is these days considered racist.

Old 04-27-2021, 12:03 PM

they should make a federal I.D. to vote and a database so the left hand knows what the right hand is doing. Right now, the counties in states control the voting and they don't talk to other counties from other states. It's so open for fraud. I know people especially students and part time workers that vote in 2 or more places. You have over 150 million votes and that's too large under the current system for fraud. You get to vote 1 time in one place.

I know a college student who used the address of her parents and then voted in the state of California where she was studying and working part time. The county of 1 state doesn't talk to the counties of other states. There is no federal task force to check on this. This is wide open for fraud.

If i live 1 state and go to Florida to study (young people do this a lot), I can't be voting in 2 places. California makes it really easy for fraud since you don't have to show much to vote and the counties in California don't check the voting records of other states.

Old 04-27-2021, 12:25 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,308,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Right now, the counties in states control the voting and they don't talk to other counties from other states. It's so open for fraud..

If i live 1 state and go to Florida to study (young people do this a lot), I can't be voting in 2 places.
Incorrect ^^^

30 states DO coordinate voting records to ensure people aren't voting in 2 places. Florida is in this 30 state consortium. More and more states have been joining this consortium. Texas joined in 2020.

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay...data-with.html

Florida to join a national electronic center to exchange voter registration data with other states, an effort long-sought by county supervisors of elections.
Florida will become the 29th state to participate in the Electronic Voter Registration Information Center, known as "ERIC," a consortium of states known that share voter registration information.

State lawmakers last year passed a measure allowing Florida to join ERIC, which aims to reduce duplicate voter registrations.

Data matches by the center can identify voters registered in two states, those who have moved between states, and those who have died, which allows county elections officials to identify and remove people who are no longer eligible to vote in the state.

https://ericstates.org/
Consortium members:

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. The District of Columbia is also a member. (30 states plus D.C.)

Last edited by Variable; 04-27-2021 at 12:39 PM..

Old 04-27-2021, 12:27 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
Interesting......

Fox News Poll: 77% support requiring photo ID for voting

A new Fox News poll, released Monday, finds 77 percent of voters nationally think "a valid form of state or federally issued photo identification to prove U.S. citizenship" should be needed for voting. That’s down from a high of 85 percent who felt that way when Fox first asked the same survey question 10 years ago.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fox...-id-for-voting

I’ll do you one better. I had to provide proof of my US CITIZENSHIP when I renewed my drivers license. If every state made that a requirement it would make the drivers license a valuable identifier. Voters wouldn’t have to bring the information to the polls.

Old 04-27-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Incorrect ^^^

30 states DO coordinate voting records to ensure people aren't voting in 2 places. Florida is in this 30 state consortium. More and more states have been joining this consortium. Texas joined in 2020.

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay...data-with.html

Florida to join a national electronic center to exchange voter registration data with other states, an effort long-sought by county supervisors of elections.
Florida will become the 29th state to participate in the Electronic Voter Registration Information Center, known as "ERIC," a consortium of states known that share voter registration information.

State lawmakers last year passed a measure allowing Florida to join ERIC, which aims to reduce duplicate voter registrations.

Data matches by the center can identify voters registered in two states, those who have moved between states, and those who have died, which allows county elections officials to identify and remove people who are no longer eligible to vote in the state.

https://ericstates.org/
Consortium members:

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. The District of Columbia is also a member. (30 states plus D.C.)
Wrong back at you. ERIC only provides each member state reports that show voters who have moved within their state, voters who have moved out of state, voters who have died, duplicate registrations in the same state and individuals who are potentially eligible to vote but are not yet registered. ERIC doesn't have any prosecutorial powers.

They don't share voting data. Tell me the last time the DOJ prosecuted a voter for voting in 2 places. Go google it. It's rare. It's like investigating credit card fraud, banks hardly investigates or prosecute cases because it's a waste of time.

Old 04-27-2021, 03:11 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
The real issue is not that IDs will reduce election fraud - they won't. But they will increase the cost for election fraud since fake IDs are more expensive.
Mine proves my citizenship. I had to produce an original Birth Certificate to renew it. It would be simple enough to include a weapons ban.

Old 04-27-2021, 03:50 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,308,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Mine proves my citizenship. I had to produce an original Birth Certificate to renew it.
Green card holders and visa holders can also get a Real Id. Real ID is the Drivers License with star in the corner. It's needed to fly starting later this year. You don't have to be a citizen to get it. You just need to prove you are legally in the country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies