Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 02:57 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
In no way did I agree with you. Just because they whine about it it doesn't mean the amenities don't exist. In actuality, we have MORE amenities when you consider the natural landscape as opposed to the concrete jungles they come from. Maybe they miss all the fast food joints. We don't have a single one here and probably won't for the foreseeable future. Nice thing is, this place will never become what they left. Don't move to a place you love then try to change it.

I have lived in Philly, Baltimore and Detroit. I loved city living. However, I much prefer the sounds of the ocean waves and shore birds to the sounds of the streets. It's a different way of life.
Shrug, well you stated “we never will be” in terms of not having the amenities that a city has so that appeared to be agreement to me.

I love the north woods & I love the city. The in between is where I never want to be. Sorry, I know of no suburb that has the things I previously listed even though some are insisting otherwise. Symphony? That’s downtown. Performing Arts Center? That’s downtown. Sports arena? That’s downtown. Festival grounds that bring in major bands? That’s downtown on the lake. I could go on.

Last edited by thefragile; 04-28-2021 at 03:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 03:14 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
In no way did I agree with you. Just because they whine about it it doesn't mean the amenities don't exist. In actuality, we have MORE amenities when you consider the natural landscape as opposed to the concrete jungles they come from. Maybe they miss all the fast food joints. We don't have a single one here and probably won't for the foreseeable future. Nice thing is, this place will never become what they left. Don't move to a place you love then try to change it.

I have lived in Philly, Baltimore and Detroit. I loved city living. However, I much prefer the sounds of the ocean waves and shore birds to the sounds of the streets. It's a different way of life.
Excellent points.

Although people do disagree about amenities and priorities, I am with you in that I much prefer a long stroll to and along a waterfront or in a large "natural" park to being able to walk to stores and restaurants -- and I will take a vista of trees and sky to concrete monoliths, and I also prefer to listen to the sounds and songs of birds to a neighbor blasting music within five feet (or less) of my living room or bedroom.

But to each his or her own, of course!

P.S. I do, however, miss quality art museums, but I actually only went to one of those an average of about once a year -- and everything else I want is only an hour away.

Last edited by katharsis; 04-28-2021 at 03:26 PM..

Old 04-28-2021, 03:31 PM

25,744 posts, read 12,824,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Yes, I know.

The article is based on things that happened in the past.

I'm talking about things that are happening today and the trend in the future.

Lots of people starting to move back to the cities.

Fewer are moving back than are staying away. They've already bought or rented elsewhere, and have moved on with their lives.

Florida is filling up fast with them. So is Texas, North Carolina, Idaho, ect..

The big city tax bases are shrinking, so that leaves less taxpayers to shoulder the burden. That is why Cuomo in NY is jacking taxes.

The big cities are a sinking ship in the service sector information & internet age. "Where" has no meaning.

Big Northern Cities = costly, crime ridden, bad schools, homeless people galore, traffic gridlock, nasty public transit systems, corrupt politicians, riots, high abortion rates, poverty, housing projects, food deserts, poorly run police departments...not a Republican in sight. The Dems have run these cities for 50+ years, so they must own it.

Old 04-28-2021, 03:35 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,430,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Shrug, you stated “we never will be” in terms of not having the amenities that a city has so that appears to be agreement with me.

I love the north woods & I love the city. The in between is where I never want to be. Sorry, I know of no suburb that has the things I previously listed even though some are insisting otherwise. Symphony? That’s downtown. Performing Arts Center? That’s downtown. Sports arena? That’s downtown. Festival grounds that bring in major bands? That’s downtown on the lake. I could go on.
You really just want to argue this point. For the last time. We will never be THE CITY. Where we live is a destination point. People come here to escape the cities. They love it, until they move here. People are never satisfied with what they have but, when you take them away from their "home" they miss what they did have. I've lived in 11 states. I've lived on the ocean, in the mountains and in cities. I loved it ALL. Perhaps people need to get out from their bubbles and live other places for a while to discover other ways of life and I don't mean for a year or two. It takes time to develop new things and interests.

Oh and there are venues near to us. Sure it takes a half hour or so to get there but, I don't live in that mess and congestion. I see who (concerts) I want, go to the major sporting events I want, etc. Hell, I probably have been to more of all of that then most people that live in the cities have been to at their venues.

I'm not trying to denigrate where others live, I'm just trying to relay that there is more to life and where you live than what you are used to. I'm very lucky that I have experienced different places and ways of life. Instead of looking down on others for what they enjoy People need to step out of their comfort zones and learn about other ways of living.

Some people are discovering that there is more to life than city living. Others are learning that cities are not the big scary places they heard about. Others are too afraid to live life or to try to understand differing points of view.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 04-28-2021, 03:39 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,155,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
How I look for a place to live? Find a city I want to live near and potentially work in. Then find the furthest Xurb with the best reputation. Potential 1 hour commute? That’s the price you have to pay to separate yourself from the animals.
Who have all the money and people keep voting tax breaks for.

Separating yourself from smartness maybe.

Old 04-28-2021, 03:40 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,155,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Fewer are moving back than are staying away. They've already bought or rented elsewhere, and have moved on with their lives.

The big city tax bases are shrinking, so that leaves less taxpayers to shoulder the burden. That is why Cuomo in NY is jacking taxes.

The big cities are a sinking ship in the service sector information & internet age. "Where" has no meaning.

Big Northern Cities = costly, crime ridden, bad schools, homeless people galore, traffic gridlock, nasty public transit systems, corrupt politicians, riots, high abortion rates, poverty, housing projects, food deserts, poorly run police departments...not a Republican in sight. The Dems have run these cities for 50+ years, so they must own it.
Big anywhere cities that never recovered from white flight maybe. Otherwise, cities are awesome and have been the lynchpin of human civilization since we moved on from everyone farming.

Old 04-28-2021, 03:41 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,199,422 times
47 states experienced population growth in the 2020 results. Illinois and Mississippi saw negligible loses, and for Illinois the 12,000 wasn't from Chicago but rather rural areas and small towns. The biggest lose by far was West Virginia, with some 200,000 deficit compared to 2010 census.

Old 04-28-2021, 03:46 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

Have you ever thought about.....

Who is selling to these city dwellers? And where do they go after they sold their homes?

Many of them are moving to the cities. There are always those who wanted to move to the cities but didn't have the chance and now they do.

Old 04-28-2021, 03:47 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
I've lived in all 3. Suburbia is VERY underrated. It's the best lifestyle for me. This isn't the 90s when it was cookie cutter hell with strip malls the only place to go.

Old 04-28-2021, 03:53 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2021/...s-usa-america/

COVID showed people in high-rise tiny apartments in crowded cities that they could not roam free. And staying home had them crawling the walls.

We moved semi-rural well ahead of the pandemic (2018) - and are not looking back. I get hives thinking about the density of the nearby large cities. We have access to a small city for our needs - but wide open spaces never looked so good.
FYI, comparing New York City to the rural county in Wisconsin where I live:

New York City
Population: About 8.5 million (some sites say 8.3, others say 8.7)
Population Density: About 27,000 people per square mile (WOW!!!)
COVID Deaths to Date: 32,456
Population Divided by COVID Deaths to Date: 262*
Average Age: 36.7

*Meaning that about 1 out of 262 NYC residents have died of COVID to date

"My County", WI
Population: About 25,500 (Estimates range from 22,000 to 29,000)
Population Density: About 57 people per square mile
COVID Deaths to Date: 22
Population Divided by COVID Deaths to Date: 1,159
Average Age: 53.0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies