Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2021, 08:16 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Repeat: I, just like most people, don't believe this country needs working poor. If you work 2 jobs full time and are still not able to provide for your family, there is something wrong with it.

THIS SAID,

Many people think this is a wise idea: the government should mandate such a minimum wage. Because it will help people who work low-paying jobs. The upsides of the policy are great! And so they pat themselves on the back, happy that they are so generous and caring.

But they commit a terrible error: they only consider what could go right.
They never even consider what could possibly go wrong.

This is something that libertarians harp on continually. You can have a good policy and predict that it will help. But that is in your head. The thing that matters is the actual, observable outcome. You really don’t deserve any “moral credit” for good intentions alone.

So, the big problem with the minimum wage are the same problems whenever the government sets price floors. (A minimum wage is a price floor on wages.)

1. Low-wage jobs disappear. Poof. The poor people you want to help? Some of them don’t have jobs anymore.

2. Low-wage jobs moves black market. Where the rule of law disappears, shenanigans occur.

3 Some jobs move up to the price floor.

etc etc.

Minimum wage law is great, but the punishment associates with it must go.

If somebody are willing to work $13 / hour, let them work. Employers who are willing to give that job (below minimum wage) are not monsters you know.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 05-03-2021 at 08:27 AM..

Old 05-03-2021, 08:18 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You're debating with those who are probably just one wrung above those minimum wagers but who are adept at maintaining their pride and egos by looking down upon them with the old "if I can live on what I make selling shoes or whatever job that let's me wear a tie, they can (and dang well should be forced to) live on what they make flipping burgers."

A well known phenomena of making yourself feel good by disparaging those only slightly beneath your station in life. Of course these types don't want those others to rise up. That would make them equals.

Can't have that now, can we?

Typical.
Well, it is the American way, isn’t it?
The “haves” have done a great job convincing the small people that their greed isn’t the problem; it’s all those wage slaves who want a sliver of their pie.

Many have internalized this to such an extent that they believe that the people who wipe grandma’s butt so that they don’t have to, aren’t actually worth the pittance they are paid to do so.
It’s also why abuse of service workers is at an all-time high.

https://www.qminder.com/prevent-frontline-worker-abuse/

Old 05-03-2021, 08:18 AM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
What does the '' lefties '' have to do with it. A business can pay whatever it wants, it doesnt have to wait for the gov to pass a law for a higher min wage. Understand how a business works. Supply and demand. You dont want that job, step aside, it will be filled.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:36 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Raises hand. I'm in chain retail, I know lots of people attempting to make it on minimum wage for a few years at least. The hardest hit 'stuck' at MW are typically single moms, usually divorced. Where and how do you people live that you seem so utterly unaware of others lives?

My wife works as a retail manager.

They pay above minimum.
She can't get anyone to want to work for $11/hr starting pay.

What did these divorced moms do for a living before they got divorced??

And don't even claim stay at home Mom....cuz that's an endangered species these days.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:46 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
What public transportation?

Do you honestly believe that every locale has public transportation?
Nope.
Then they pack a suitcase and rent a room near public transportation. Different town altogether? People have been doing that for 200 years.

I just love how all these people who never ran a business insisting that OTHER PEOPLE pay unskilled workers more money than that set by the market. All that will do is result in fewer jobs for unskilled people.

We’ll never agree. I believe people who want to earn more should develop a job skill, thus incentivizing people to better themselves, and you believe business owners are all wealthy people who are living large by paying the required amount for very simple jobs that can be taught in 15 minutes.

We need three tracks in high school:

1) Kids with the motivation, interest, and ability to go on to college: academic track
2) Kids without the above but don’t want to be stuck earning minimum wage: vocational
3) Kids without the above but don’t want to learn a trade and understand they will very likely earn minimum or close to it: basic

I guarantee you that 99% of kids will choose 1 or 2.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:48 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
How do they get to that minimum wage job?
for 99.9% of min wage workers, they live within a few miles of said job

when I worked at White Castle..I biked to work

If you are accepting a min wage/low wage job...you would be stupid to accept one that is a long (expensive) commute

Old 05-03-2021, 08:51 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
High schools already have multiple track for students.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:55 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Public transit differs greatly across the country.
I don't know if you all are comparing the same kind of communities.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:56 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Nope, Minimum wage people can take public transportation. They’re not automatically entitled to a car.

And I went over the food, insurance, etc., in the original budget. Again, if you have no real job skills, your choice is to:

1) Get some career training, via taxpayer-provided training, to increase your market value, or
2) Live very modestly, joining forces with others similarly situated

The problem with liberals is that see things from only one side: what they think people are entitled to. They never consider the cost of providing that to them. In this case, increasing the MW to $15 would drive half the businesses to close shop. You all can say, “fine.....they didn’t deserve to have a business,” but the fact is that there would be tens of millions of fewer jobs available.
You ignored my response with the list of bills & you ignored that other persons post regarding bills. Why? Because you know you’re wrong. Period. End of story.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:58 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Our only community college is next door to the airport, surrounded by farms and pastures, roughly 15-20 miles from each of the three major population centers. There is NO public transportation available. You guys love to construct these perfect little scenarios that have nothing to do with the very real obstacles a lot of people face. And how easy is it to say 'they should live in such a way', cripes, can't even come up with a real answer...
That’s because these people have no idea what real life is like. Zero. Not one clue & they have zero interest in finding out because that would be admitting that they have no clue & they are 100% wrong about absolutely everything about life & reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies