Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2021, 07:28 PM

558 posts, read 338,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousstyles32 View Post
Congratulations, you had the privilege of going to college. Everyone doesn't have the ability to go to college for a multitude of reasons.
Community college costs almost nothing. Soon to be "free".

Old 05-02-2021, 07:37 PM

103 posts, read 52,848 times
Stop watching Fox News eer Fox Opinion

Old 05-02-2021, 07:47 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
Minimum wage was not meant to be a living wage.
Correct. It was actually supposed to be better then that. I dont know why yall constantly try to claim otherwise.

Roosevelt:
Quote:
In my Inaugural I laid down the simple proposition that nobody is going to starve in this country. It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By "business" I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living.

Old 05-02-2021, 08:01 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,275,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Why can't a business do all those things people are telling low wage workers to do. My good friend goes out for dinner sometimes for business with three other company people and the dinner tab is usually $1500.00 dollars. Leo Fender who owned Fender Guitar was known to eat out of a can of pork 'n beans at his work bench for lunch and he wandered around the factory picking up small screws off the floor to keep them from being swept up. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
it is pretty hypocritical that they tell min wage workers to do better and be responsible but they will not say the same thing for business owners. Seems like business owners do not have the responsibilities to their workers or society that others have.

Old 05-02-2021, 08:06 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,275,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousstyles32 View Post
Congratulations, you had the privilege of going to college. Everyone doesn't have the ability to go to college for a multitude of reasons. It doesn't mean they don't deserve to earn a living wage.

There are a finite number of good paying jobs in any industry in any city in any state. The system is not built to have every single person earn a degree (assuming the purpose of getting that degree is to get a good paying job).

The job market is tough as it is....imagine if every single 21 year old in the country had a college degree and expected to get a good paying job. It just couldn't/wouldnt happen.

The capitalist system the right loves to talk about doesn't work if there are no workers. We don't need more degree holders who would rightly demand higher salaries. We need to figure out how to pay everyone else a little more.
Your right and if a whole bunch of people got degrees there would not only not be enough high paying jobs for all of them it would lower the wages of these higher paying jobs because the scarcity of people who can do these jobs would increase.

Old 05-03-2021, 02:33 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
it is pretty hypocritical that they tell min wage workers to do better and be responsible but they will not say the same thing for business owners. Seems like business owners do not have the responsibilities to their workers or society that others have.

The primary purpose of any business is to make money, not to be engines of social justice.

Businesses don't exist in order to employ people, that's just a necessary part of running the business.

And for some reason, the Left seems Hell bent on trying to make that a smaller and smaller part of it for many business owners.

Old 05-03-2021, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Which will cost more over time than getting a cell phone plan unless you used a tiny amount of minutes .and I have needed or used the capabilities of smart phone looking for or for work such as email and gps.

BS.

My son has a $79.00 Walmart Phone smart phone.

It's not the lastest, greatest Iphone or Galaxy, but it does everything you need a smart phone to do.

He pays $45/month for unlimited data.

Old 05-03-2021, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Tuition for advanced education to move out of the "entry level job."

You don't need an "advanced education" to move out of an entry level job

And there are other ways to get an education besides going to an expensive University just to have Liberal dogma shoved down your throat.

Old 05-03-2021, 06:07 AM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
They need to live in such a way that they can pay for the dentist, and they probably shouldn’t have a car if they are on minimum wage. And knowing how precarious their situation is, they should take a few courses to learn a trade of some sort.

And remember, we are talking about only 2% of workers. To hear you liberals talk, you’d think that small business owners are paying most of the staff at minimum wage.
Our only community college is next door to the airport, surrounded by farms and pastures, roughly 15-20 miles from each of the three major population centers. There is NO public transportation available. You guys love to construct these perfect little scenarios that have nothing to do with the very real obstacles a lot of people face. And how easy is it to say 'they should live in such a way', cripes, can't even come up with a real answer...

Old 05-03-2021, 06:14 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Our only community college is next door to the airport, surrounded by farms and pastures, roughly 15-20 miles from each of the three major population centers. There is NO public transportation available. You guys love to construct these perfect little scenarios that have nothing to do with the very real obstacles a lot of people face. And how easy is it to say 'they should live in such a way', cripes, can't even come up with a real answer...
Then they need to move closer to public transportation. Here in my city, you can move 25 miles outside the city where rents are pretty cheap, and there are busses and local shuttles to the train 10 miles away. That’s what I did when I was young and earning next to nothing - took a bus to the train, and the train to my job.

You guys love to make up excuses as to why small businesses should be driven out of business - which is the end result of paying more than market rate to unskilled labor - without asking anything of the MW worker.

(Also, if someone lives in such a rural area away from anything, then $8 an hour will provide an income that one can get by on by sharing a rental with two or three others.)

P.S. Just out of curiosity, where is your business located?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies