Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2021, 02:08 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post

Automation is almost always cheaper than human labor. Machines don't need breaks, don't get sick, don't need health insurance, retirement, unemployment or workers comp. The reason why an task is not automated is because the machine may be more expensive than the human being at the moment, but even then the cost of a machine isn't fixed and can become cheaper. Or the capabilities of the machine can't match a human at the moment (people are faster at some tasks or more flexible) but again machine capabilities can change with time. The kiosks have been installed because the technology for the kiosk is now deemed ready for use and they are evaluating it not because labor has become too expensive. You can pay $1.00 and hour and the kiosk can still be cheaper.
Bingo.

Once scanners were reliable, no more jobs for people putting price tags on cans and boxes at the grocery store. Didn't make any difference how low the minimum wage, scanning at the check stand was cheaper.

Ditto with the self-serve checkout. They are already all over the place and the minimum wage hasn't changed significantly in years.

Machines need to be repaired, but they don't call on Tuesday to say they have followed a woman to Montana and won't be coming back.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 05-02-2021 at 03:09 PM..

Old 05-02-2021, 02:09 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,090,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Which will cost more over time than getting a cell phone plan unless you used a tiny amount of minutes .and I have needed or used the capabilities of smart phone looking for or for work such as email and gps.
The phone should be for work only. No need to use it to keep in touch with the homies or chicas. Only the employer should have that number. Have to set priorities rather than digging the hole deeper.

Old 05-02-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Right, that's why I pushed my kids to go. It's also why I know that you're making this out to be far simpler than it is. A two year degree is hardly a guarantee of getting a well paying job, those two year degrees are a dime a dozen now and competition for those jobs is pretty stiff.
It's also amusing to see how the goal posts have moved over the years. It used to be get a degree, any degree, that piece of paper proves you're capable of serious effort. Now it's 'you have to get the right degree'.
All of our kids and their spouses have jobs with six figure incomes. Barely, in a couple cases, but still.

None could have gotten their foot in the door without college degrees.

But that doesn't mean while they were going to college they didn't need to be paid a decent wage.

Old 05-02-2021, 02:13 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,655,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
The US military doesn't expect to pay newbies 15/hr, so why is the public expected to dish out the same? Public sector is much like the military. You start with the low paying jobs to get your feet wet, and then as time moves on, you move on to a higher position in the company, but if that company has nothing available, then you need to move to a company that does. If you can't find something in your niche, then that's when you either start a new career, or you branch out and created your own company.

I will admit though, it is tough to pay for food, housing and utilities, but just like the military where people are banded together to live in the barracks, public have banded to have roommates to spread out the costs.
The US military supplies newbies with housing, meals, clothing, training, and complete medical care. And transportation to their job site as needed. PLUS basic salary. What low end employer does that?

Old 05-02-2021, 02:13 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,000,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
The phone should be for work only. No need to use it to keep in touch with the homies or chicas. Only the employer should have that number. Have to set priorities rather than digging the hole deeper.
So if the phone is for work, how will your wife, mother, children call you or you call then? Note having a cell phone and a landline or another kind of phone is more expensive.

Last edited by chirack; 05-02-2021 at 02:22 PM..

Old 05-02-2021, 02:23 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Businesses will just lay people off and automate more. I was just watching a news program where a robot went from table to table, replacing the waiter. At McDonalds, there are kiosks from which to order, and at the store there are all these self-service checkouts. Just exactly how much do you think an owner will pay an employee that which his customers could easily do themselves, or just automate?

All you’ll do is drive more people out of work, and onto some form of UBI. Is that the end goal?

News flash - regardless of the minimum wage, more automation is coming. A well-built robot is more reliable than most human beings. My BIL used to crew container ships. He was well up in the command structure when he retired, and very far from a minimum wage. Today's huge container ships sail with about half the crew they used to sail with. How can they do that? Automation. And I'm not talking about overseeing cargo loading either. The fantasy is a completely self-steering, self-navigating, ship. It's coming, and it's everywhere, at all pay levels.

The UBI is one way of coping with the disruption. Individuals just don't change as quickly as technology does.

Last edited by jacqueg; 05-02-2021 at 02:56 PM..

Old 05-02-2021, 02:52 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Huh? I owned a business as well, and paid well for the professional staff. The only person earning less than $15 an hour (but still more than MW) was a part-timer, and she was happy for the chance to earn extra spending money.
Ok, that's all well and good but it isn't the norm.

The main offenders are franchise owners, small restaurant owners, and lawn care owners...from my experience.

The bulk of their employees get up every morning and contemplate suicide before clocking in.

As I said before, it's not a violation of natural law (just like the practice of usury). Two parties free from duress are consenting to associate with each other. I'm just saying it's scummy. I know this concept is a bit advanced for conservatives/Republicans (who are pseudo-capitalists) so it's really just an inward-looking thing.

I personally couldn't live with myself if my employees were miserable people. The vast majority of business owners feel otherwise IMO based on experience.

Old 05-02-2021, 02:54 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Work harder.

When someone cannot pay their bills because the minimum wage is too low for the cost of living, this is the response that is usually given. The same applies to you.

Some people suck at running a business, that could be your case, to which I would say close shop or re-evaluate your business.
Best answer -- obviously you aren't working hard enough -- lol.

Old 05-02-2021, 02:56 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Apple discontinues IOS updates on older models.

In order to advance in life at some point you'll need a relatively new phone.

You do realize that you can't rock Doordash or Grubhub with a rotary model, right homie?

Old 05-02-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Walmarts business model involves taking advantage of employees and being subsidized by taxpayers in order to sell products made in China at low prices.

Is this what you all are defending?
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
That's where it all started.
That's the root of today's problems ( when it comes to salaries/small business) in America.
Indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies