Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2021, 11:30 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You seriously can’t think of bills? Apparently you don’t pay your bills,
Apparently, you can’t think of examples.

As for me, yes....I have lots of bills, because I have lots of spending power. But as I said, in my low-income “entry” years, my only bills were the rent, the phone, and the parking space.

Old 05-02-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
flip burgers until one is eligible to be independent from their "indifferent" parents income to qualify for the Pell grant, which is 24?
Yes. If parents earning $80,000 or $100,000 didn’t prepare at all for some sort of post-high school education, then we shouldn’t have to make up for their irresponsibility. Let them sacrifice and spend a little less for a year or two, and pay a few thousand for their kid.

And if the parents are low-income, and can’t squeeze anything out of their budget, then the kid qualifies for Pell Grants. As it should be.

Old 05-02-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You are aware that even a BS or BA doesn't give you much more earning power than a high school diploma, aren't you? Especially if there is no job related work experience with the 2yr degree.
Also you glaringly left out any sort of health or prescription insurance, and seem to think that everyone lives where cheap and reliable public transportation runs 24/7. I can tell you that even in small cities it is beyond difficult for employees to find that public transportation that enables them to work the extremely variable schedules that many/most minimum wage employers utilize. Maybe you should venture out into the world where the peons actually work and live?
That’s not true. People with a bachelors average around $60,000 a year - more than triple the minimum wage. And that’s what we are talking about here. Someone with no skills at all, flipping burgers, can jump his income quite a bit by getting some vocational training.

If liberals succeed in demanding small businesses pay even their part-time, entry level staff $15 an hour, there will be a lot fewer people earning anything at all. Would you prefer that?

Edited: to add specifics that prove the fallacy of your claim that a BA doesn’t earn you much more than a high school diploma. (You sure don’t think that much of college graduates, do you?) High school grads average $38,000, and college grads average $64,000.

https://www.northeastern.edu/bachelo...ucation-level/

Old 05-02-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Yes.

And it’s one that doesn’t rely on a business model where my employees would rather be dead than do work.
Huh? I owned a business as well, and paid well for the professional staff. The only person earning less than $15 an hour (but still more than MW) was a part-timer, and she was happy for the chance to earn extra spending money.

Old 05-02-2021, 11:41 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,014,844 times
whine on CD apparently.

Old 05-02-2021, 11:45 AM

9,519 posts, read 4,348,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You are aware that even a BS or BA doesn't give you much more earning power than a high school diploma, aren't you? Especially if there is no job related work experience with the 2yr degree.
A BS or BA absolutely gives you more earning power if you're not a complete idiot when selecting a major. In addition, the skilled trades do very well. The common denominator is this: pick a skill/trade/major that is in demand and you'll be fine. Do the dumb (major in liberal arts, women's studies, art history) and you will be rewarded a accordingly.

Old 05-02-2021, 11:57 AM

3,697 posts, read 5,001,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yup, lots of headaches with owning a business. (That’s part of why the compensation should be more.) And you are an employee who goes home without work. As a business owner, I worked 7 days a week in the early days, and many weekdays until 9 pm. Yet you think I should be willing to hand over more of my net income to a low-level employee who is doing simple work that can be explained in 15 minutes, and then have to increase the other employees’ salaries to maintain parity? That would mean I would barely be netting more than I could earn as an employee, so why bother owning a business and providing jobs for others?
I have know real people who have their own business. They may work late, may work 6 days a week but NONE work 7 days a week. If you did, it would leave you no time to attend to the other the other thing that need to be done in life. Why do you need to maintain parity? Employers need to pay the going wages and/or offer attractive benefits.

Also your attitude does not vibe with why you hire low level employees to begin with. You hire them because they free up higher wage employees to do their job thus making the place more efficient. The electrician, plumber, mason, carpenter can all do their job better if they have the help of an laborer. The auto mechanic can focus on fixing the cars if he doesn't have to deal with customers. In the old days typing on an typewriter was such a chore that having a typist focus on this task freed up other office workers(accountants, lawyers, managers, ect.) to focus on their job but computers made this task much easier such that an office worker NOT typing is no longer the norm. Even in a fast food joint the cook(who gets paid more than the others) needs lower payed cashiers and others.(i.e. kind of hard to cook, take orders and clean the place! Unless there isn't much business at all.). Employees are added as needed.

Quote:
Businesses will just lay people off and automate more. I was just watching a news program where a robot went from table to table, replacing the waiter. At McDonalds, there are kiosks from which to order, and at the store there are all these self-service checkouts. Just exactly how much do you think an owner will pay an employee that which his customers could easily do themselves, or just automate?

All you’ll do is drive more people out of work, and onto some form of UBI. Is that the end goal?

Automation is almost always cheaper than human labor. Machines don't need breaks, don't get sick, don't need health insurance, retirement, unemployment or workers comp. The reason why an task is not automated is because the machine may be more expensive than the human being at the moment, but even then the cost of a machine isn't fixed and can become cheaper. Or the capabilities of the machine can't match a human at the moment (people are faster at some tasks or more flexible) but again machine capabilities can change with time. The kiosks have been installed because the technology for the kiosk is now deemed ready for use and they are evaluating it not because labor has become too expensive. You can pay $1.00 and hour and the kiosk can still be cheaper.

Old 05-02-2021, 12:00 PM

16,078 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Quote:
(You sure don’t think that much of college graduates, do you?)
Right, that's why I pushed my kids to go. It's also why I know that you're making this out to be far simpler than it is. A two year degree is hardly a guarantee of getting a well paying job, those two year degrees are a dime a dozen now and competition for those jobs is pretty stiff.
It's also amusing to see how the goal posts have moved over the years. It used to be get a degree, any degree, that piece of paper proves you're capable of serious effort. Now it's 'you have to get the right degree'.

Old 05-02-2021, 01:55 PM

5,661 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You have no freakin' clue how fast food workers get their schedules, do you? A cell phone is a requiremnt for holding down a service job.

We need another Jakob Riis - because you people have no idea how the other half lives. None.
WalMart has cheap pay-by-the-minute flip phones. Buy a card to reload. Use that to meet work requirements. No Facecrook apps for it though.

Old 05-02-2021, 01:59 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,001,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
WalMart has cheap pay-by-the-minute flip phones. Buy a card to reload. Use that to meet work requirements. No Facecrook apps for it though.
Which will cost more over time than getting a cell phone plan unless you used a tiny amount of minutes .and I have needed or used the capabilities of smart phone looking for or for work such as email and gps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies