Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 11:40 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
That's an interesting take. So the parties are not supposed to represent the American people but their Oligarch donors?

So why have elections at all? Why can't just the Kochs, the Bloombergs, the Zuckerbergs appoint themselves directly as our rulers?
Because if you knew democracy was fake, you wouldn't obey.

"The people flatter themselves that they have the sovereign power. These are, in fact, words without meaning. It is true they elected governors; but how are these elections brought about? In every instance of election by the mass of a people—through the influence of those governors themselves, and by means the most opposite to a free and disinterested choice, by the basest corruption and bribery. But those governors once selected, where is the boasted freedom of the people? They must submit to their rule and control, with the same abandonment of their natural liberty, the freedom of their will, and the command of their actions, as if they were under the rule of a monarch." - Alexander Fraser Tytler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2021, 12:15 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I don’t care about Trump
Sorry, just can't buy that when...

Quote:
a rigged election that McConnell, Roberts, and others were just as culpable as the Democrats were.
...you're still going with what Trump is saying over everyone else.

There's no vast conspiracy to get Trump man, he just has a bruised ego and can't handle the shame a public admission of defeat would bring to his damaged psyche.

Old 05-01-2021, 12:22 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
I am fed up with this loser of a party full of RINOs at the top. I’m completely done with them until massive changes are made.

First of all, McConnell must be replaced as the minority leader of the Senate, or whatever he is as a 50-50 tie with idiot Kamala as the deciding vote. This guy, while I do believe he’s a gifted speaker, just doesn’t represent the base in the policy positions he normally takes.

Also, why does McCarthy hardly ever get any criticism? This guy is awful. A moderate Republican from California? He does nothing but lose in his state, and I’d even bet he’s part of the problem, too. I know he’s behind the scenes colluding with the corporate oligarchy to screw his base over, the people that vote for him.

I could go on and on. Romney must go, Liz Cheney must go. Murkowski must go. Susan Collins does nothing for me, she’s slightly better than a Democrat, but slightly better isn’t good enough. Etc, etc.

As far as “conservative” John Roberts, he’s dead to me, too. Unfortunately, we are stuck with him.

But the main reason? Is there anybody out there that actually believes that the Republican Party didn’t collude with the Democrats to oust Trump? I don’t care about Trump, the man. But what I do care about is that a sitting president, who was willing to work issues for his base, was ousted by a rigged election that McConnell, Roberts, and others were just as culpable as the Democrats were.

I’ve made up mind. Despite my hatred of the idiot white liberals in the Democratic Party, I will no longer support Republicans until it’s a party that represents its base.

I’m back to 2012, where I’m just a guy without a party.

Count your blessings, both major parties are but two sides of the same slug posing as a coin of value.

Old 05-01-2021, 12:25 PM

10,464 posts, read 4,042,712 times
Quote:
I am fed up with this loser of a party full of RINOs at the top. I’m completely done with them until massive changes are made.

First of all, McConnell must be replaced as the minority leader of the Senate, or whatever he is as a 50-50 tie with idiot Kamala as the deciding vote. This guy, while I do believe he’s a gifted speaker, just doesn’t represent the base in the policy positions he normally takes.

Also, why does McCarthy hardly ever get any criticism? This guy is awful. A moderate Republican from California? He does nothing but lose in his state, and I’d even bet he’s part of the problem, too. I know he’s behind the scenes colluding with the corporate oligarchy to screw his base over, the people that vote for him.

I could go on and on. Romney must go, Liz Cheney must go. Murkowski must go. Susan Collins does nothing for me, she’s slightly better than a Democrat, but slightly better isn’t good enough. Etc, etc.

As far as “conservative” John Roberts, he’s dead to me, too. Unfortunately, we are stuck with him.

But the main reason? Is there anybody out there that actually believes that the Republican Party didn’t collude with the Democrats to oust Trump? I don’t care about Trump, the man. But what I do care about is that a sitting president, who was willing to work issues for his base, was ousted by a rigged election that McConnell, Roberts, and others were just as culpable as the Democrats were.

I’ve made up mind. Despite my hatred of the idiot white liberals in the Democratic Party, I will no longer support Republicans until it’s a party that represents its base.

I’m back to 2012, where I’m just a guy without a party.
Good luck. They are just doing what they were paid to do by the rich elite who put them into power. People think it's a Red vs Blue thing, when in reality it's the super elite vs the rest of us. Sure, I got money now, but my money was from sheer luck and hard work. The elite I am talking about are the ones that got that way from royal blood lines.

Old 05-01-2021, 12:25 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
That's an interesting take. So the parties are not supposed to represent the American people but their Oligarch donors?
There is no such thing as "the people" -- only an increasingly diverse, and fragmenting collection of individuals; those who prattle about "society", "mankind", "humanity" and "the people" are usually seekng accress to the monopoly on the use of force granted to the modern nation-state -- in hopes of focing their own agenda on all of us.

The fragmenting of this supposed majority should be viewed as a positive -- since it retards the possibility of the rise of "butcher-states" as in Europe in the 1930s. Better a (supposed) "handful of Oligarchs" than an army of thugs.

Old 05-01-2021, 12:30 PM

10,464 posts, read 4,042,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The republican party had the chance to be the party of the working class American. They did not want to be that party, even though many, perhaps most people who vote for republicans wanted to see the party go in that direction. If the republican party will not stand up for the will of the people, they do not deserve to represent the people and will continue to lose. It looks as if that's their true intent.

The republican party does require a drastic restructuring in order to successfully take on today's embolden radical left. They are not going to win by cowering and behaving like spineless losers. Unfortunately, that seems to be all they are capable of doing... Cowering and losing. Not my republican party...
This is true. I think the last real Republican was Eisenhower. But his own constituents shot him down when he was open to stopping the racial injustices of his time. Sadly, we were in a time where the world was changing drastically, and America was still trying to get her footing as the new superpower. I would also argue that JFK was also the last of the good democrats, and well, since then, both parties been taken over by the super elite. The politicians since then were nothing but puppets.

Old 05-01-2021, 01:00 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Sorry, just can't buy that when...

...you're still going with what Trump is saying over everyone else.

There's no vast conspiracy to get Trump man, he just has a bruised ego and can't handle the shame a public admission of defeat would bring to his damaged psyche.

Absolutely! OP is simply pi$$ed off why GOP didn't do 'exactly' what Trump asked them to doOP believes he has spun it enough that people won't recognize

Old 05-01-2021, 01:09 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Getting rid of liberal rinos like Trump is a good start. They can rebuild.

Rebuild what, and for what purpose?

Trump was the culmination of decades of effort to empower working Americans.

It started with the failed Perot campaign of 1992 and the Reform Party movement that followed.

We learned from that experience that a third party, one that competes with the Republican establishment, will only succeed in electing Democrats.

That's a mistake we would not repeat.

With Bill Clinton in office, we supported the Republican Revolution of 1994 and the Contract with America.

It was our first real victory, but the primary process was still beyond our reach, evidenced by the 2000 nomination of George W. Bush.

Until we gained control of that, presidential elections would continue to be a contest between two pre-approved corporate whores, each owing allegiance to the oligarchs that backed their respective campaigns and would one day reward them for their loyal service while in office.

The financial crisis of 2008, largely brought about by bi-partisan efforts to remove common-sense banking and mortgage industry safeguards, made a weak Republican candidate, McCain, political fodder for a relatively unknown Democrat, Obama, and the allied media.

When the bailouts gave the very people that caused the crisis the ability to buy distressed assets at fire sale prices and hold them until their former value returned, we witnessed the greatest transfer of wealth from the working poor to the wealthy elite in world history.

This, along with a timely rant by Rick Santelli, spurred the fledgling Tea Party movement to action.

This was the moment when we resolved to take over the Republican Party from within.

It took some time and much effort, but this we accomplished.

Had we not, Jeb Bush and his fat campaign account almost certainly would have rolled over everyone in his way and faced off in a who-cares-who-wins general election that would undoubtedly have set a new record for low voter turnout.

Trump's policies - not his charming personality - won him the White House, and someone, could be Trump, could be someone else, will win with those same policies because they come from the same working Americans that saw the writing on the wall back in 1992 when Perot was explaining NAFTA in terms of a huge sucking sound.

Today, the pre-Covid economy Trump created is revealing itself in a nearly post-Covid world, so no one is thinking about how ****ty our trade arrangements are or about US worker's ever declining share of productivity gains.

When the economy goes south again, and it will, these matters will once again take center stage.

The Flakes and Romneys of the world will then fare about as well as they did when the Republican Party was unquestionably Trump's alone.

The smart ones will toe the line and the others will face the consequences of their disloyalty to the voters.

Old 05-01-2021, 01:17 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,813,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Rebuild what, and for what purpose?
Rebuild a conservative base and get rid of the liberal nonsense like Trump that has infiltrated the party.
Quote:
Trump was the culmination of decades of effort to empower working Americans.
That's what people were fooled to believe and then he failed flat and just turned out to be another big government liberal spending liberal... just like when he donated to Pelosi for years and supported her on abortion rights. He fooled the American people -- and sadly, some are still brainwashed into believing he was going to empower them.
Quote:
Today, the pre-Covid economy Trump created is revealing itself in a nearly post-Covid world, so no one is thinking about how ****ty are trade arrangements are or about US worker's ever declining share of productivity gains.
Trump had little impact on the economy pre-covid. It takes 3-4 years for Presidential policy to impact the economy and just like Obama rode Bush's economy, Trump rode Obama's. We'll see in the next year or 2 what Trump's economy will look like.
Quote:
When the economy goes south again, and it will, these matters will once again take center stage.
Yes.. once Trump's policies start impacting it. And I don't have confidence in Joe to fix Trump's mess... so we have a real opportunity to have a conservative in the whitehouse in 2025. But only if the republican party leaves the liberal Trump big government policies behinds and rebuilds as a conservative party.

Quote:
The smart ones will toe the line and the others will face the consequences of their disloyalty to the voters.
That's the truth. And ousting Trump was the first step.

Old 05-01-2021, 02:07 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,073 times
The majority of the GOP's problems revolve around 1 man. When they distance themselves away from him and his type, they can retool. You don't need Trumpism or Huey Long populism to win back PA or Wisconsin and you sure as heck don't need it in the southwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies