Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 01:03 PM

11,036 posts, read 5,995,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Aren't the tires and the oil in the bike chain as well as the machines used to make the bike all made possible by petroleum?
This is quite true. I was just wondering what the difference between a car and bicycle would be in terms of 'carbon foot print'. Even an electric bicycle would us a fraction of the oil or coal that goes into the building or running of a car. And I mean a tiny fraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2021, 01:06 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,817,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
This is quite true. I was just wondering what the difference between a car and bicycle would be in terms of 'carbon foot print'. Even an electric bicycle would us a fraction of the oil or coal that goes into the building or running of a car. And I mean a tiny fraction.
You have to put it up against number of miles traveled. If the electric bicycle travels the same number of miles as a car (whether electric or ICE) it will use less resources than the car. But otherwise, it's not comparable.

Nuclear power (along with electricity from other sources) can effectively power an electric bike. That is not true for ICE.

Old 05-01-2021, 03:56 PM

3,277 posts, read 1,754,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
What are you talking about? Why in the world would NY use coal? Also, NY already gets nearly 25% of its power from hydroelectric. You have no idea what you're talking about.
Go back and read the last line of the first post.

Old 05-01-2021, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Go back and read the last line of the first post.
The article doesn't say anything about coal. Less than 0.3% of NY's electricity comes from coal. Nearly 25% comes from hydropower. Your post makes no sense.

Old 05-01-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Thus Indian Point 3's clean energy will be replaced by gas fired turbines, which produce CO2 plus oxides of nitrogen and also dirty energy produced from coal.
Quote:
The article doesn't say anything about coal. Less than 0.3% of NY's electricity comes from coal. Nearly 25% comes from hydropower. Your post makes no sense.
I said "Last line of the first post." Comprehension fail. Whoop, There it is. I quoted it for you. Pay attention to the last five words. "Dirty energy produced by coal."

Old 05-01-2021, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I said "Last line of the first post." Comprehension fail. Whoop, There it is. I quoted it for you. Pay attention to the last five words. "Dirty energy produced by coal."
You also quoted my post but failed to read it.

"Less than 0.3% of NY's electricity comes from coal. Nearly 25% comes from hydropower."

Old 05-01-2021, 06:04 PM

Quote:
You also quoted my post but failed to read it.

"Less than 0.3% of NY's electricity comes from coal. Nearly 25% comes from hydropower."
Oh, I read it but more will be coming because of the nuke plant being shut down, which is what this entire thread is about. I'm done with you.

Old 05-01-2021, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Oh, I read it but more will be coming because of the nuke plant being shut down, which is what this entire thread is about. I'm done with you.
Why would a state that abundance of natural gas and no coal use coal? You don't seem to know much about energy production in the USA.

Old 05-02-2021, 09:02 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,189,465 times
Quote:
Why would a state that abundance of natural gas and no coal use coal? You don't seem to know much about energy production in the USA.

New York State used to produce a lot of coal fired electricity. The Danskammer power plant in Newburgh on the Hudson was shut down quite a while ago. Now they want to repower the plant using natural gas. It's run into big time opposition.

https://www.wamc.org/post/public-hea...kammer-project

The last coal fired power plant in NYS shut down in 2020 again under pressure from Cuomo.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/n...-energy-ny.htm

Cuomo's father, Gov. Mario Cuomo, ordered the shut down of the Shoreham Nuclear Power Plant on Long Island before it could go online. Long Island Lighting Co. spent 20 years and 6 billion 1970s - 1980s dollars building Shoreham. LILCO was forced to declare bankruptcy and was taken over by the Long Island Power Authority. LIPA did such a poor job running LILCO that the management was given to Public Service Electric and Gas Co. of New Jersey. Now instead of clean nuclear power, most of the electricity for Long Island comes through the Neptune Transmission Line, which runs 55 miles under the ocean to a point in New Jersey where it connects with the PJM. Just think of how many millions of tons of CO2 were added to the atmosphere because Shoreham was prevented from opening.

Old 05-02-2021, 09:09 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,297,747 times
People in general have this exaggerated notion of how bad nuclear weapons are much less power plants... this idea the planet would be a wasteland if we had a nuclear war like the fallout games promote... it would end up more like Chernobyl.. a nature sanctuary. Meltdown hysteria could be compared to modern day anti-vaccine people.... very little actual risk but hyped as though there is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies