Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 11:41 AM

5,308 posts, read 6,209,910 times

Advertisements

The closure was forced by NY Governor Andrew Cuomo. The plant was in operation since 1976 and could have operated for another 40 years. Indian Point 2 closed 1 year ago. Together they supplied 40% of the power for downstate NY.

Cuomo thinks that a tsunami will come up the Hudson River and destroy the plant or maybe terrorists will attack it and thereby kill 10s of millions of people in the northeast.

Cuomo has said that replacement power will be supplied by 400 wind turbines on the waters of the Long Island Sound. That was recently shot down by the Biden administration.

Consolidated Edison has indicated that replacement power will come from "Bayonne Energy Center II Uprate," CPV Valley Energy Center and Cricket Valley Energy Center. They are gas turbine plants. A lot of power will also come from the PJM Interconnection through the Hudson Transmission Project. 1/3 of the PJM's electric generation comes from coal fired power plants.

Thus Indian Point 3's clean energy will be replaced by gas fired turbines, which produce CO2 plus oxides of nitrogen and also dirty energy produced from coal.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wire...shuts-77389135
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2021, 11:45 AM

9,954 posts, read 4,708,872 times
Nuclear power can be dangerous but if careful, monitored and regulated it's an extremely valuable source of power. And if convential plants go off line for what ever reason the rest of that grid will be even more stressed.

As usual the 'professional' politician people chose the pc route.

Old 05-01-2021, 11:57 AM

3,298 posts, read 1,775,626 times
Liberals in NY need that coal to power their virtue signaling electric cars.
Wind power? Not in my backyard !
Solar power? Not in my backyard!
Hydro electric ? Not in my backyard !
Nuclear Power? WHAT ??? You crazy ? Never in my backyard !

How about a nice bicycle ? 'Cause that's about all you got left !

Old 05-01-2021, 12:06 PM

8,305 posts, read 3,830,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post

What are you talking about? Why in the world would NY use coal? Also, NY already gets nearly 25% of its power from hydroelectric. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 05-01-2021, 12:15 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,610,517 times
Not to mention 1000 people will lose their jobs, when it should be Cuomo losing his job.

Old 05-01-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Not to mention 1000 people will lose their jobs, when it should be Cuomo losing his job.
You might not know this but electricity is a commodity with constant or increasing demand. Additional jobs will be created to meet the demand.

Old 05-01-2021, 12:18 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,610,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
You might not know this but electricity is a commodity with constant or increasing demand. Additional jobs will be created to meet the demand.
I'm sure that makes those who's jobs have been displaced, feel good.

Old 05-01-2021, 12:43 PM

51,671 posts, read 25,914,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
The closure was forced by NY Governor Andrew Cuomo. The plant was in operation since 1976 and could have operated for another 40 years. Indian Point 2 closed 1 year ago. Together they supplied 40% of the power for downstate NY.

Nuclear power plants are licensed for 40 years. Renewals are available in 20 year increments.

40 years seems like a reasonable time to check the concrete, cables, water lines, and various mechanical components.

For example, in my neck of the woods, 40 to 50 years is generally considered the lifespan of sewer lines. Earth shifts, etc.

As an added bonus with nuclear power plants is that what the engineers called for is not necessarily what was done.

For example, a common complaint among ironworkers who installed rebar at nuclear power plants is that the blueprints would call for an unreasonable amount of rebar. The engineer's mathematical calculations may have called for that much, but in reality it would be impossible to tie, and ridiculous difficult to get the concrete in. So rodbusters would put in what they thought best. Inspectors were paid off. Life rolled on.

Then there is the problem of what to do with the spent nuclear fuel. As far as I know, there is no plan to deal with it other than leave it in giant steel/concrete casks, parked on concrete, next to our nation's major rivers.

A terrorist attack on the casks stored at Prairie Island in Minnesota could contaminate the Mississippi River for Lord knows how long.

Old 05-01-2021, 12:53 PM

10,569 posts, read 4,092,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post

Aren't the tires and the oil in the bike chain as well as the machines used to make the bike all made possible by petroleum?

Old 05-01-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Aren't the tires and the oil in the bike chain as well as the machines used to make the bike all made possible by petroleum?
What is your proposal on how to make them out of nuclear power and/or waste? As of now, Nuclear power plants don't provide materials for tires and bike chain. Also, the effective ingredient in bike chain lubricant is teflon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies