Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2021, 02:19 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,559,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
What is inherently wrong with doing the same thing Barack Obama does though regarding self defense?

Why wouldn't people think that firearms are a good solution to the problem of defending one's self?

I mean, that's been the cases for hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of years now.

How would you recommend a 65 year old lady defend herself against a young male intent on doing her bodily harm?

We're all ears, once again.
Whose arguing with you about your very particular examples?

Now; can we once again discuss why a 6th grader would think a firearm is the answer to her situation?

Sometime in her impressionistic stage she got the idea that a gun would solve her particular problem. Where, how and why do you suppose she learned that?

Somewhere there's an adult in this picture who dropped the freak'n ball. The real pity is that with all of the school shootings having been performed by fractured young people, there wouldn't be the actuality of, in this particular case, a whole platoon of adults missing all the clues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 02:20 PM

8,388 posts, read 3,575,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Wrong. Taking a gun to every fight should never be the option. If she was bullied she needed to talk to her parent/s, teachers, others at school. Last resort get some friends and teach the bully a lesson but nothing too severe, just enough to let them know you will not tolerate being bullied. To many youths think the only way to fight is with a gun or knife.
Last resort? What about the ones that don't have any friends and the whole school thinks it is great that you are randomly beaten in the halls?

Old 05-07-2021, 02:22 PM

23,651 posts, read 14,146,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
.........Is the average American Joe citizen a "target".
You tell me, is "Jo"?

https://www.counselindia.com/wp-cont...kZZ.org_-2.pdf
(p. 286)

and that is just for serial killers.

As far as what passive defence against being attacked? Basically for me, I would say some communication of MAD.

Ie, "you attack me and I may not win........but it is really going to cost you.".

Old 05-07-2021, 02:25 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,986,743 times
Quote:
Whose arguing with you about your very particular examples?

Now; can we once again discuss why a 6th grader would think a firearm is the answer to her situation?

Sometime in her impressionistic stage she got the idea that a gun would solve her particular problem. Where, how and why do you suppose she learned that?

Somewhere there's an adult in this picture who dropped the freak'n ball. The real pity is that with all of the school shootings having been performed by fractured young people, there wouldn't be the actuality of, in this particular case, a whole platoon of adults missing all the clues.
Seems to me like you're talking about parenting, not about firearms.

You're finally starting to zero in on the actual problem.

Why didn't you say that from the beginning?

Old 05-07-2021, 02:26 PM

2,828 posts, read 830,218 times
Quote:
Oh c'mon now. Where have I even hinted more authoritarianism is required. As a nation adjudged as already having less individual, economic and freedoms of the press than the other top tiered nations, why would I suggest you add more stuff like another Patriot/Freedom Act, another infringement like the TSA, NSA, or Homeland Security agency to even further remove your freedoms.

Jumping to the conclusion, some of you have already made, that I ever suggested you suffer an even more egregious usurping of your rights than you've already benignly accommodated is in error.

I have already stated on here going back years, that there is absolutely nothing whatsoever to be done at this point in time OTHER than a general consensus being arrived at by the populace itself (most unlikely) that it's now gone too far and instead of firearms making you more free they are making nothing of you but a fear ridden bunch, all "primarily" afraid of your own fellow citizens and NOT your government.
Why would/should I be afraid I carry a gun.

Old 05-07-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
I've been involved in the shooting sports since I was about 6 years old and I've NEVER heard people talk like that.

I'm sure in the inner city ganglands, they do. If you're talking about that, I agree, they need to have better parenting and probably not glorify rap music and the thug life, etc.

Otherwise, I have no idea what you're talking about.
Oh yeah; being involved in shooting sports and on any range no one is ever going to utter such a litany because it would bring undo attention upon them.

However at home in front of the TV after slugging the sixth brewski while watching some thug threatening a family you don't suppose the possibility exists Billy Bob uttering something of the kind?

Old 05-07-2021, 02:31 PM

2,828 posts, read 830,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92greenyj View Post
While this is true, there are numerous options out there on the market for this. As a responsible gun owner myself I employ one. All of my firearms save one are secured in my gun safe when not in use. The other one is secured in a small, biometric lock box that only myself and my wife have access to. The small lockbox is in a location that can be accessed quickly if need be. And that is where my carry weapon goes when it is not on my person.
Finally someone with some brains and a responsible parent.

Old 05-07-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
You tell me, is "Jo"?

https://www.counselindia.com/wp-cont...kZZ.org_-2.pdf
(p. 286)

and that is just for serial killers.

As far as what passive defence against being attacked? Basically for me, I would say some communication of MAD.

Ie, "you attack me and I may not win........but it is really going to cost you.".
You have the tendency to think that the average American "Joey" is brought up with a different set of standards regarding acquiescence/tolerance to/for bullying.

I would grant you that the majority of the world's parents have no time for the "turn the other cheek" preachings of the mindless drones.

Old 05-07-2021, 02:40 PM

23,651 posts, read 14,146,351 times
Quote:
You have the tendency to think that the average American "Joey" is brought up with a different set of standards regarding acquiescence/tolerance to/for bullying.

I would grant you that the majority of the world's parents have no time for the "turn the other cheek" preachings of the mindless drones.
I don't follow what you just said, you may clarify as you wish.

As far as my tendencies go, that's part of my training, to know what makes someone a target.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 05-07-2021 at 02:49 PM..

Old 05-07-2021, 02:41 PM

1,943 posts, read 570,119 times
Quote:
While you've said nothing to refute the point and only bolstered it's credibility, does a point have to be profound to be relevant?

Leaving aside for the moment the original post's description of a child in 6th grade usage of a firearm to perform this act; I challenge you to describe how anyone, never mind a sixth grader, would perform a spur of the moment, anger or revenge motivated, remote, killing episode by using a swimming pool or a yacht.

In any first world advanced society calling itself civilized; which one of those - swimming pools, cars, golf clubs, yachts, motorcycles, steak knives or guns; which one of those would you think would be the first one to be addressed?
Many events have taken place in the last year that cannot be called civilized. To the second part of your question, assuming you are talking about homicides,

(Swimming pools)Did the victim die by drowning?

(Cars)Was death due to hit and run? Vehicle tampering?

(Golf clubs, baseball bats, hammers, etc)Was the victim bludgeoned to death?

(Yachts) *See drowning*

(Motorcycles) Ever hear of "Hells Angels"?

(Steak Knives)Was the victim stabbed?

It is all relative to how the person died. I don't see how guns fit into any of the above, yet they happen to the extent they cannot be called uncommon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies