Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 10:06 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,542,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
If you read the link it is a study/survey of WORKING moms.
I think they should also give the same survey to WORKING dads. It would be interesting to see the similarities and differences.
Yes, also factoring in things like physical labor or other “abstract” ideas that constitutes labor to pretty much anyone else besides the illiberal left. Ten, twelve or fourteen hours of labor are not always the same in terms of work that was completed. I do understand it’s hard to quantify something like data entry though. Not to mention many of the jobs either spouse does, maybe all of them, are supportive of the family as a whole and may not directly translate into something immediately tangible. The construction of a fire pit for example. It doesn’t really add much to the efficiency of the household. It used resources for something that is not needed and yet think of all the memories that come with spending time around the fire pit with the family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 10:08 AM

21,380 posts, read 7,999,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Yes, also factoring in things like physical labor or other “abstract” ideas that constitutes labor to pretty much anyone else besides the illiberal left. Ten, twelve or fourteen hours of labor are not always the same in terms of work that was completed. I do understand it’s hard to quantify something like data entry though. Not to mention many of the jobs either spouse does, maybe all of them, are supportive of the family as a whole and may not directly translate into something immediately tangible. The construction of a fire pit for example. It doesn’t really add much to the efficiency of the household. It used resources for something that is not needed and yet think of all the memories that come with spending time around the fire pit with the family.
Apparently we all need to be paid to spend time with family.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:12 AM

36,794 posts, read 31,094,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
This article wasn't women complaining, it was a survey of working mom's domestic duties.

On average, even if both parents work, women take on the lion's share of childcare, cooking, and cleaning. This isn't 100% or true of every family, but the trend as an aggregate. Look at how often men taking care of their children is called "babysitting" versus "parenting."

This is particularly worth noting in a society where having one parent stay at home is a luxury that only high income families can afford. When there are *also* tons of articles out about our declining birth rates and how that will impact the future of the country, it's worth further investigating how these sorts of scenarios impact family growth.
Well thank you. At least one other person actually read the link.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
This article wasn't women complaining, it was a survey of working mom's domestic duties.

On average, even if both parents work, women take on the lion's share of childcare, cooking, and cleaning. This isn't 100% or true of every family, but the trend as an aggregate. Look at how often men taking care of their children is called "babysitting" versus "parenting."

This is particularly worth noting in a society where having one parent stay at home is a luxury that only high income families can afford. When there are *also* tons of articles out about our declining birth rates and how that will impact the future of the country, it's worth further investigating how these sorts of scenarios impact family growth.
I have never heard any father I know call spending time with their kids as babysitting.

is this the 1970s?

Old 05-10-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I do think the hours are those spent actually caring for children on a daily basis like feeing them, cleaning up after them, baths, putting them to be, getting them up for school, taking them to school, picking them up, homework, etc. But then the actual survey questions were not linked. I would also like to have seen the same survey with fathers filling it out.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I do think the hours are those spent actually caring for children on a daily basis like feeing them, cleaning up after them, baths, putting them to be, getting them up for school, taking them to school, picking them up, homework, etc. But then the actual survey questions were not linked. I would also like to have seen the same survey with fathers filling it out.
It's like they are trying to convince women to be victims.

For the 34,275,779,887 time.

I never for 1 second considered reading a bedtime story to my toddler something I should be paid to do.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I have never heard any father I know call spending time with their kids as babysitting.

is this the 1970s?
Well I hear it all the time. I watched the kids while my wife.....He babysat his kids. I helped with the housecleaning, laundry etc.
You never hear that from the mom though. I watched the kids while my husband moved the yard. she babysat the kids while her husband went golfing, I helped do the laundry.......

Old 05-10-2021, 10:21 AM

34,329 posts, read 18,705,198 times
Her body, her choice.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
It's like they are trying to convince women to be victims.

For the 34,275,779,887 time.

I never for 1 second considered reading a bedtime story to my toddler something I should be paid to do.
No it isnt. It was a survey about how much time women spent at their job plus taking care of kids/home combined. No where in that article did it say victim or try to anyone of anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies