Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 09:31 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,910,957 times

Advertisements

So help me out here. Is this study concerned with Moms not be paid to be moms?

What about dads? I dont recall ever getting a check for doing yard work, coaching soccer, teaching Karate, maintenance of the the home, the vehicles or pool. (The pool that I never wanted in the first place). I wasn't paid for building our home. I wasn't paid for doing the landscaping, changing the septic pump twice. Both times on freezing ass days in snow that was over knee deep. I never got paid for being a dad. I didnt need to because to me it wasn't a job, it was part of life. The thought that I should be compensated for it never occurred to me. It was all by choice.

You know what? I am wrong, I was compensated. I watched my baby girls grow up to become very beautiful women. Smart, strong and very capable. That is one helluva reward if you ask me. I watched a very troubled 7 and 1/2 yearly boy grow to become a good man, a better man than I ever was. Damn life was good.

I have stage 4 cancer and I dwell upon these things a lot these days. Why do people think anyone owes them compensation for doing their jobs as a parent? Your children growing up to be good people is your compensation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2021, 09:46 PM

78,829 posts, read 61,038,645 times
You have control of your body, you chose to have a kid, you chose in almost all cases whom the dad is and to cry that you are not paid for "your work" well then don't sign up for the job.

If you have not raised your kids capable to do their own laundry, cook and clean by the end of junior high then that is your choice and I respect that. However, unless they are special needs, they could have learned those skills.

I cannot begin to tell you how hard my kids and I have laughed over the years when they got to college and people were *shocked* that at age 18 they drove themselves 200 miles there for orientation, maybe staying in a hotel the night before. OMG...get the fainting couch out lol.

Pick up a history book, go read about Annie Oakley etc. Stop limiting your kids because of your own fears and upbringing. My great uncle was killing Nazis at 18, my can do their own laundry and drive 200miles lol, but you make your choices and live with them and I'll make mine.

Old 05-09-2021, 09:48 PM

8,973 posts, read 2,581,498 times
You don't get paid for doing your own chores. If you don't want to take care of kids, don't have them. If you don't want to be a stay at home wife, get a job.

Old 05-09-2021, 09:51 PM

17,746 posts, read 14,852,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post

What about dads? I dont recall ever getting a check for doing yard work, coaching soccer, teaching Karate, maintenance of the the home, the vehicles or pool. (The pool that I never wanted in the first place). I wasn't paid for building our home. I wasn't paid for doing the landscaping, changing the septic pump twice. Both times on freezing ass days in snow that was over knee deep. I never got paid for being a dad. I didnt need to because to me it wasn't a job, it was part of life. The thought that I should be compensated for it never occurred to me. It was all by choice.

You know what? I am wrong, I was compensated. I watched my baby girls grow up to become very beautiful women. Smart, strong and very capable. That is one helluva reward if you ask me. I watched a very troubled 7 and 1/2 yearly boy grow to become a good man, a better man than I ever was. Damn life was good.

I have stage 4 cancer and I dwell upon these things a lot these days. Why do people think anyone owes them compensation for doing their jobs as a parent? Your children growing up to be good people is your compensation.
It sounds like your kids are very lucky to have you.

Old 05-09-2021, 09:59 PM

78,829 posts, read 61,038,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post

I wrote a personal message and got "you cannot rep again so soon". Ugh.

Short version: You see the big picture. None of us get out of life alive and well, you do your thing. Much respect. Peace.

Old 05-09-2021, 11:55 PM

10,047 posts, read 5,765,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
The people who should be having kids, aren't.

The people who shouldn't, are.

We are screwed.

Old 05-10-2021, 01:12 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,726,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Blah blah blah.

Don't have kids then.
Well, it's impossible for some women to resist guys with adorable big brown puppy dog eyes.

Old 05-10-2021, 01:29 AM

10,047 posts, read 5,765,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Well, it's impossible for some women to resist guys with adorable big brown puppy dog eyes.
Especially for women who go shopping for men at AdorableBigBrownPuppyDogEyes dot com.

(FULL DISCLOSURE: I'm a passive investor in the aforementioned website even though my personal conquests from said website might dispute the "passive" classification of my investment posture.)

Old 05-10-2021, 03:06 AM

7,537 posts, read 3,660,131 times
I work full time and am the primary care giver to 2 children. My spouse makes more than I do, has a worse commute, gets home later, has to finish up work at home, always "on the clock"...all that takes time and has a value. We designed it that my job is lower stress, flexible, and close to the schools so that we both wouldn't be running around crazy. I was a sahm for a few years too. Being a sahm does not compare in any way to working full time, dealing with actual work situations, commuting, etc and therefore I didn't expect any "help" on my end because being in casual clothes all day doing whatever I wanted with my kids was the greatest joy ever. The only downside to being a sahm is lack of adult interactions and loneliness but work, it is not. A lot of young mom's out there are quite insane and make being a mom hard work. They need to chill the heck out.

Old 05-10-2021, 03:25 AM

15,949 posts, read 12,351,216 times
I'll be the stay at home father. She can be the breadwinner. These articles are rediculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies