Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 09:32 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,524,460 times

Advertisements

The Supreme Court has announced it will hear a direct challenge to Roe v. Wade in the first abortion case taken by the court since Amy Coney Barrett joined the court last year.

Quote:
Supreme Court will hear direct challenge to Roe v. Wade

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Monday said it will review Mississippi’s ban on abortions after 15 weeks of pregnancy, taking up a direct challenge to Roe v. Wade just a few months after its newest conservative justice joined the bench.

The Mississippi ban, which has been blocked by lower courts since it was enacted in 2018, will be one of the first reproductive rights cases argued before the Supreme Court since Justice Amy Coney Barrett was confirmed in October, giving conservatives a 6-3 majority that is widely expected to curtail abortion access.

The court will consider the heart of Roe by hearing arguments on whether all bans on abortion prior to the point of fetal viability are unconstitutional.
It is time to overturn this decision, which will for those who do not know, would not make abortion illegal. It would return the authority for the matter to the state legislatures, each which would be responsible for passing its own law to govern abortion policy in their respective state.

Get your seatbelts on. Here we go....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 09:38 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
It is time to overturn this decision
If it's time to overturn a decision that has been the law of the land for 50 years and is supported by over 60% of the American people, then it might be time to expand the court to correct that.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:41 AM

6,127 posts, read 3,351,401 times
As someone who wants to be a part of the new Republican Party, I don’t care at all about abortion.

On a personal level, abortion is awful and I think it’s the absolute worst wrong choice someone could possibly make. But I try to stay out of other people’s business as it is really not my concern. I definitely don’t want my tax dollars being used in any way for abortion, or any welfare program for that matter. If your own family doesn’t care about you, why should I have to?

So it angers me that John Roberts and the others may change this law, which I don’t care about at all, while they ignored election law over the summer that led to Trump’s fraudulent loss.

They also will do nothing to help control the border.

Bottom line, I’m just a guy without a political party. I hate the Democrats with an absolute passion, but the Republicans are focusing on stuff I don’t care about, like abortion.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:43 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
If it's time to overturn a decision that has been the law of the land for 50 years and is supported by over 60% of the American people, then it might be time to expand the court to correct that.
Your argument is that since it's law and about 50% of people support it -- your 60% figure is high, BTW -- than it needs to remain as law? Nothing else? Solid argument. Kudos.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:46 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
your 60% figure is high, BTW
Negative. And it's been stable at that level for decades.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:46 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Actually, the SCOTUS was wrong in 1972. It should be up to individual states, if one is following the Constitution.

So the worst than would happen is that a handful of states might outlaw it. It would still be widely available in the majority of the country.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:47 AM

2,367 posts, read 910,049 times
It's a step towards more state autonomy. We are free to move to other states.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:50 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
I’m at the point I believe our culture is already terminal so why should I care what people want to do with their own children? If you want to kill them before they are born I have other things to worry about.

Just look at people these days, half of them are whacked in the heads lunatics. It’s beyond me and my moral compass to help them.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:50 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times
I'm fine with making it up to the states. Let the red states reap what they sow. However, make each state pay for the result. No getting federal funds for the massive increases in medical, welfare, schools, reduced lunches, foster care, etc. Because that is going to be the result. People who want and can afford children are rarely the problem, the ones red states will get are the poorest, likely born drug addicted, least educated and the ones that will cost them the most. It's very sad but true. Also, good luck attracting big companies to their Gilead.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:51 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,341,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
So in other words. both sides of this dispute are ready to sink to the argument that the end justifies any means?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies