Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2021, 09:42 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
First, I don't know what information a vigilante Texan has to provide initially in a law suit. Do you? It's not clear if they have to provide all the info recorded by a health care provider that serves as their defense or if they can just make the allegation and the court requires the provider to provide the info during a discovery process.

But, assuming they have to have the info., there are situations readily apparent. A father or grandparents could sue to stop a pending abortion for example.
The point is that there won't be a sudden stampede of civil lawsuits over abortions as the "hair on fire" pro-abortion contingent is claiming. The only people who will know a woman is pregnant and seeking abortion is possibly the father, grandparents, or other very close relatives or friends, and they might not even know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2021, 09:42 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
No one I have seen address this seems to know how that would work. So far, they are only giving as an example someone who would have personal knowledge of the woman having an abortion.....i.e. someone she told.

No one really has to sue for Texas to continue this all out war on women.

Providers will stop performing abortions when they detect cardiac activity so they can't be sued successfully. And, that will ban most abortions in Texas.

Not, clear to me why a woman denied an abortion under this law doesn't have standing to sue that the law is a violation of her civil rights and unconstitutional.
Uh huh. (sigh) AGAIN I reiterate suddenly with THIS state law involving THIS right the Constitution matters. All the other state and municipal laws and regulation that violate grievously so many other rights we have under the Constitution are just fine. So long as they support leftist policy. Now a state does the same thing following onto the same policy that the left has been doing for decades claiming state and municipal independence from the federal Constitution with a law the left can't abide and they cry foul.

To be clear and I mean CHRYSTAL I am neither expressing agreement or disagreement with the premise of this TX law. I do NOT discuss my feelings and opinions on the Roe v Wade issue. But the fact is undeniable that this new law has more than ample precedence to support it and it is the people who are so stridently crying Constitutional foul here that put that precedence in place. THAT is my one and only singular point here.

To use those peoples own words "get over it." The state can do whatever it pleases insofar as rights under the national Constitution are concerned at least rights under the first, second, fourth, and fifth amendments either seriously restricting or outright denial of those latter rights and ...well..."Get over it." That one simple fact is the one premise that the SCOTUS needs to examine. They need go no deeper than the precedence set by the opponents of this TX law regarding the restriction of other Constitutional rights being restricted at state and local levels. On that alone this TX law can stand firm.

A very good example is the recent ruling by the Court that CAs magazine ban is in fact unconstitutional. Did the state repeal it? No, they did not. Supreme Court ruling pound sand. That applies with this TX law as well. Face it folks, YOU, the far left, let this genie out of the bottle and now it's turning on you and all I can say is it's about time you got a dose of your own medicine. And that has not one single thing to do with my personal (deeply personal and not open for discussion) feelings and opinions as to Roe v Wade.

Try a spoonful of sugar. It's been said that helps the medicine go down.

Old 09-06-2021, 09:59 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The point is that there won't be a sudden stampede of civil lawsuits over abortions as the "hair on fire" pro-abortion contingent is claiming. The only people who will know a woman is pregnant and seeking abortion is possibly the father, grandparents, or other very close relatives or friends, and they might not even know.
I'm quite sure there will be opportunists who will figure out ways to grab $10,000 whether they care about abortion or not.

But, you are the one missing the point. There doesn't have to be a sudden stampede of lawsuits. Providers are going to follow the law rather than risk being sued which will make it much more difficult for a woman seeking an abortion and will shut down most clinics effectively denying abortions to women who want or need them.

Then if the law is allowed to stand, other states will follow suit. More women denied.

Then Dems will use it to enact stricter gun control. Then both parties will come up with other things for people to snitch on each other about.

My hair is not on fire. I am however fed up with the continuing stupidity of a certain segment of the Republican party.

Biden just handed over the mid-terms and very likely the next Presidency on a silver platter and the sanctimonious bible thumpers constantly meddling in other people's business/bedrooms just threw it in the trash.

Way to go Texans!

Old 09-06-2021, 10:02 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Again, how would anyone know who's pregnant or how far along they are? Isn't that info most women keep to themselves, especially if they plan on getting an abortion? Or is it public knowledge when any woman is x-weeks pregnant but she doesn't want the baby so she's getting an abortion?
Lawsuits will have to come from close friends or family imo...even then, IDK, seems very unlikely women will inform anyone they know to be highly against abortion.

Old 09-06-2021, 10:04 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
I'm quite sure there will be opportunists who will figure out ways to grab $10,000 whether they care about abortion or not.

But, you are the one missing the point. There doesn't have to be a sudden stampede of lawsuits. Providers are going to follow the law rather than risk being sued which will make it much more difficult for a woman seeking an abortion and will shut down most clinics effectively denying abortions to women who want or need them.

Then if the law is allowed to stand, other states will follow suit. More women denied.

Then Dems will use it to enact stricter gun control. Then both parties will come up with other things for people to snitch on each other about.

My hair is not on fire. I am however fed up with the continuing stupidity of a certain segment of the Republican party.

Biden just handed over the mid-terms and very likely the next Presidency on a silver platter and the sanctimonious bible thumpers constantly meddling in other people's business/bedrooms just threw it in the trash.

Way to go Texans!
Well, then maybe doctors and medical providers should start acting like Americans!!

American citizens do have a duty as citizens...some may have forgotten this.

Old 09-06-2021, 10:10 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times
Quote:
You didn't answer the questions; you just spewed hate. So, again... How would anyone know who's pregnant or how far along they are? Isn't that info most women keep to themselves, especially if they plan on getting an abortion? Or is it public
knowledge when any woman is x-weeks pregnant but she doesn't want the baby so she's getting an abortion?
Spewed hate? Oh please.

For starters any number of people whose desire it is to impose their will on the bodies of others. These types of folks could work in billing or medical records or insurance providers and a host of other offices and or on-site ancillary positions with access to charts & more, and easily self-justify their nefarious intent, religious zealotry or political partisanship as sanctioned by the Lone Star State. All kinds of information can be gleaned by people whose intent is to bully and intimidate health care providers and clinics and their patients out of the Lone Star State.

But I am not going to get drawn into the weeds of distraction and deflection by the defenders of this barbaric, GOP created, Texas law and its obvious assault on women.

Many Americans on either side of the political aisle---women and men alike --- identify as pro-reproductive rights because they believe that everyone has the basic human right to decide when and whether to have children. Pro-choice people believe it’s OK for women to have the ability to choose abortion as an option for an unplanned pregnancy — even if they wouldn’t choose abortion for themselves. In 1973, Roe v Wade affirmed that access to safe and legal abortion is a constitutional right.

People who support reproductive rights support laws that allow people to access the full range of reproductive health care — including safe, legal abortion. This Texas atrocity tramps on women's rights with legislation and vigilantism that will keep reproductive healthcare such as abortion out of reach for many women, just like many of the other laws occurring across the nation that shut down health centers or that force patients to jump through hoops to get the care they need.

Decisions about whether to choose adoption, end a pregnancy, or continue a pregnancy should be made by a pregnant person with the counsel of their family, their faith, and their health care provider. Politicians should not be involved in anyone’s personal medical decisions about their reproductive health or pregnancy. And religious leaders should keep their noses out of the governance of our nation.

And this law, the strictest abortion ban in the nation, which restrains the reproductive lives of Texas women, by random passersby, is not only a brutal assault on all women, it is an assault on health care providers and on anyone who helps a woman, in any way. It is another assault on basic human rights and our Constitution, in these United States of America.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Welcome to Texas, where a virus has reproductive rights and a woman does not.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 09-06-2021 at 10:25 AM..

Old 09-06-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
How? No one has been able to answer the questions... How would anyone know who's pregnant or how far along they are? Isn't that info most women keep to themselves, especially if they plan on getting an abortion? Or is it public knowledge when any woman is x-weeks pregnant but she doesn't want the baby so she's getting an abortion?
Quote:
Providers do the same thing with every other procedure/practice. For example, the severe limitations on prescribing scheduled narcotics. This is nothing new.
Quote:
Did I miss something? Can't women simply get an abortion elsewhere? Seems to me the pro-abortion contingent would be responding Much more constructively if they set up charitable foundations that funded women's travel, etc., to go elsewhere for an abortion.
Quote:
Unlike abortion, the Right to keep and bear arms actually is enumerated in the US Constitution. A new Amendment would have to be passed and ratified to circumvent that and I just don't see that ever happening.
Quote:

Way to go Texans!
What makes you think only supposed "bible thumpers" think killing a human life is immoral? Those who are anti-murder exist all over the religious/political/ideological spectrum.

Old 09-06-2021, 10:21 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
So I presume right-wing Texas politicians are going to make sure the mother/child/family now have the proper medical care, childcare, healthcare, and financial care so that the baby can grow up and live a happy life. And if the parents dont want it, I presume Texas is going to improve it's adoption system to make sure that child goes to a healthy, supportive home.

Or maybe they will just continue to ignore the baby once its born and turn to shaming the parent(s) for having a baby they couldn't handle in the first place and begrudge providing assisstance. Further adding to the problem. Good job Texas.

Old 09-06-2021, 10:22 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,510,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
For starters any number of people whose desire it is to impose their will on the bodies of others. These types of folks could work in billing or medical records or insurance providers and a host of other offices and or on-site ancillary positions with access to charts & more, and easily self-justify their nefarious intent, religious zealotry or political partisanship as sanctioned by the Lone Star State. All kinds of information can be gleaned by people whose intent is to bully and intimidate health care providers and clinics and their patients out of the Lone Star State.
I don’t recall hearing anything about HIPAA laws being repealed, yet you are suggesting here that an institutional breach of HIPAA will occur in Texas.

This is what we call hysteria.

Old 09-06-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Not legally. That's a violation of HIPAA and the 4th Amendment. As such, I doubt many would take that risk as those violations actually ARE prosecutable crimes, unlike abortion after 6 weeks in TX.

https://www.hipaaguide.net/hipaa-violation-penalties/
Quote:
But I am not going to get drawn into the weeds of distraction and deflection by the defenders of this barbaric, GOP created, Texas law and its obvious assault on women.

Many Americans on either side of the political aisle---women and men alike --- identify as pro-reproductive rights because they believe that everyone has the basic human right to decide when and whether to have children. Pro-choice people believe it’s OK for women to have the ability to choose abortion as an option for an unplanned pregnancy — even if they wouldn’t choose abortion for themselves. In 1973, Roe v Wade affirmed that access to safe and legal abortion is a constitutional right.
No, Roe v. Wade affirmed that the privacy of one's health status, health records, and doctor-patient relationship is a Constitutional Right via the 4th Amendment. There is no Constitutional Amendment that guarantees anyone an abortion, or any other form of healthcare for that matter.
Quote:
People who support reproductive rights support laws that allow people to access the full range of reproductive health care — including safe, legal abortion. This Texas atrocity tramps on women's rights with legislation and vigilantism that will keep reproductive healthcare such as abortion out of reach for many women, just like many of the other laws occurring across the nation that shut down health centers or that force patients to jump through hoops to get the care they need.

Decisions about whether to choose adoption, end a pregnancy, or continue a pregnancy should be made by a pregnant person with the counsel of their family, their faith, and their health care provider. Politicians should not be involved in anyone’s personal medical decisions about their reproductive health or pregnancy. And religious leaders should keep their noses out of the governance of our nation.

And this law, the strictest abortion ban in the nation, which restrains the reproductive lives of Texas women, by random passersby, is not only a brutal assault on all women, it is an assault on health care providers and on anyone who helps a woman, in any way. It is another assault on basic human rights and our Constitution, in these United States of America.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Welcome to Texas, where a virus has reproductive rights and a woman does not.
How is killing female fetuses not a FAR MORE egregious assault on women? Abortion kills 300,000+ females each year. How many women does preventing abortion kill each year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies