Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 01:15 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times

Advertisements

Pure madness.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/sc...sks/ar-AAKePSN

Quote:
Southfield Regional Academic Campus in Southfield, Mich., is coming under fire after stating that it will charge unvaccinated students to attend prom. According to a flyer posted on the school's website about graduating events for the class of 2021, the June 14 prom will be free to vaccinated students. Unvaccinated students, on the other hand, will need to pay $80 to attend.

Some families are speaking out about the policy on Facebook, even threatening to sue the school. A protest, dubbed #PromGate, is scheduled to be held at the school from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Friday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2021, 01:19 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,659,902 times
Suprised unvaccinated could go at all! No problems with it!

Old 05-22-2021, 01:27 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,222,561 times
That makes no sense. What is the point? If they have determined the risk is not acceptable then they should not allow the unvaccinated kids or maybe require a negative test. It seems pretty clear they are trying to use it as leverage to get kids to get vaccinated, but that is unfair to families with less means. $80 is nothing to a family with means - they can just pay it. But a family that is struggling will be faced with going against their preferences regarding vaccinations or telling their kids they can't go to prom. I'm never supportive of a policy that effectively only impacts people of lesser means.

Last edited by CrowGirl; 05-22-2021 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: fix two typos

Old 05-22-2021, 01:41 PM

4,393 posts, read 1,702,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
That makes no sense. What is the point? If they have determined the risk is not acceptable then they should not alklow the unvaccinated kids or maybe require a negative test. It seems pretty clear they are trying to use it as leverage to get kids to get vaccnated, but that is unfair to families with less means. $80 is nothing to a family with means - they can just pay it. But a family that is struggling will be faced with going against their preferences regarding vaccinations or telling their kids they can't go to prom. I'm never supportive of a policy that effectively only impacts people of lesser means.

The point is to encourage people to get vaccinated. Proms always cost money to attend (where I live and work, anyway). They are giving a discount to those that get vaccinated.

Old 05-22-2021, 01:43 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times
They shouldn’t allow unvaccinated students to attend at all IMO.

Old 05-22-2021, 01:45 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
This is so wrong and I’m glad parents aren’t letting it go without a fight.

Old 05-22-2021, 01:46 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,494,303 times
The standard solution when schools have strange prom rules is students make their own prom elsewhere.

Old 05-22-2021, 01:48 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
A mask cost $1. Why not make the unvaccinated kids buy a fresh mask at the door with orders that it not be removed except to eat or drink while seated?

We have been told for over a year now to mask up to protect ourselves and those around us and in some cases to wear 2 masks. Has that all been a lie?

Wear a mask kids and you will be alright. Consider the $80 as a fine for being a free thinker.

Old 05-22-2021, 01:50 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,222,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
The point is to encourage people to get vaccinated. Proms always cost money to attend (where I live and work, anyway). They are giving a discount to those that get vaccinated.
Yes, I noted tht as the likely reason in my post. Bu the cost of putting on a prom has nothing to do with whether or not someone is vaccinated. If the charge is to cover the cost of prom, fine - and everyone should pay the same. If the school decides it is too risky for unvaccinated kids to attend, they shouldn;t be allowed. Incentives to get the vaccination are fine but this one rubs me the wrong way. As I indicated in my previous post those who oppose vaccines and can afford the $80 will just pay it. It isn't fair for those kids whose families will struggle to pay the regular prom fee let alone the $80 surcharge.

Old 05-22-2021, 02:07 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times
If the idiot school holds firm, then I expect a lot of printers are going to get a workout...
Or they could just identify as vaccinated, since you can identify as anything you want now. "Transvaxxite" is the word I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies