Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2021, 12:38 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,439,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
With far less violent crime.
They may not kill you but I stay away from those parts like it is the plague.

Inner cities at night are just plain dangerous to walk through.

Old 05-30-2021, 12:41 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,838,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Its a losing battle. Pointless battle. And kind of silly. The average white person. How much interaction would they have with ghetto black people? In my case I am an average white person and that does not come up. What do you want? Dictate where people can live? Or more specifically where minorities can live? Put whites only signs on businesses? Re segregate schools and professional sports?

Buy a desert island. Create your own nation. Only let white people in. There are towns in America that are close to 100% white. The town I live in is. Move to one of those places and live la vida loca.
Towns like Coeur de Alene, Idaho that are currently being overwhelmed by white people fleeing from violence and wokeism.

Old 05-30-2021, 12:58 PM

1,153 posts, read 631,855 times
It really varies.

When I lived in upstate CT in a mostly White "townie" area for a while and renting out a room from some friends from college, I've dealt with some "racists" who were essentially harmless, ignorant people. They would say the most ignorant things about numerous ethnic groups, including some "White" ones without knowing that it was "wrong" to say. But it never lead to physical violence or attacks. They were just wannabe "hicks."

This is what I would refer to as "ignorant racism." It's not particularly hateful or spiteful but it's grown out of ignorance, stereotypes, and lack of interaction with other groups.

But you also have personal racism which would naturally involve interaction with other races. Some people might have dealt with issues with a particular group for a number of times and it leads to resentment and legitimate spite towards the said group.

Finally, you have "technical racists" who would look down on people based on statistical data and it consider it rational. Jared Taylor and the whole American Renaissance movement could fit into this category. Their dislike of certain races isn't rooted in plain ignorance or spite but perceived common sense based on the statistics associated with the said groups.

It should be noted that racism isn't exactly "black and white", no pun intended. There's Non-Whites who are racist towards Whites, Non-Whites who are racist to each other, and there are people who are racist towards one group but accepting of another. I've met Whites who didn't like Hispanics/Arabs but were cool with Black Americans for example.

It's very complex but, at the end of the day, it's not a big deal. There's no way to tell who's "racist" or not. Joe Biden could be as racist as David Duke and you won't even know it for instance. Unless you can read minds, it's not really something you can truly know nor does it really matter.

I have White friends who are just ordinary friends to me and I've let them borrow money and even my car from me. They've done plenty of things for me as well. On a daily basis, race is barely on my mind but the media will continue to stoke up racial tension for ratings and keeping people divided.

Old 05-30-2021, 12:59 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,600,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Many people over the years have told me they would never live in the ghetto, they avoid it like the plague, or words to that effect. Do you know what they had in common?

They were all black people.
Yeah, and you know what a lot of people who would never live in trailer parks are? All white. Coincidence?

Old 05-30-2021, 01:01 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,885,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I see a decent size number of people on a daily basis. I hardly ever see violence break out. I live in a city that's 30% Black. I've heard a few stories about violence. But in my everyday life, most of the Black people I see just go about their lives without doing anything to anyone.
In your world it's whites being racist.

Yet when it comes to violent interracial crime, excluding homicides it's almost 90% black on white. Almost 600,000 incidents in 2018 and you haven't noticed any? riiiiiiight

Old 05-30-2021, 01:06 PM

929 posts, read 304,703 times
For me personally, I can honestly say that my experiences with other races and ethnicities has made me one of the least racist people you might encounter. I can honesty state that as a long term fellow worker , a person of color, told me that many times.

My opinion is that if others had the same experiences I had, they themselves might be less racist. That is what weighs on my mind when I see demonstrations and expressions of racism. They are mostly rooted in ignorance.

Old 05-30-2021, 01:34 PM

27,586 posts, read 28,700,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Yeah, and you know what a lot of people who would never live in trailer parks are? All white. Coincidence?
But this thread is about people’s reaction to violence in America’s inner cities.

Old 05-30-2021, 02:08 PM

30,184 posts, read 11,821,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Towns like Coeur de Alene, Idaho that are currently being overwhelmed by white people fleeing from violence and wokeism.

That has been the case for more than 20 years. My parents retired there in the mid 90's from California. Moved a few years later because its too cold and snowy.

Old 05-30-2021, 02:15 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,838,418 times
I am a minority in my chosen community of Maui and am completely comfortable here, surrounded by mostly non-whites. My "adopted" family is Hawaiian.

Filipino is the largest ethnic group and Asian is the largest racial group. Polynesians, whites, and Pacific Islanders make up most of the rest. Hawaiians are only 10%, Mexicans 10%, and mixed race is very common. People here seem to get along quite well and no one appears to be fearful of others.

Occasionally, I have experienced minor insults in the form of stink-eye, or intentionally poor service given by people who resent America and want independence. It is unlikely to ever happen though because local people have become so dependent upon Government support.

Who is not here? Black people (.5%). The few who are here are mainly in the military, stationed on Oahu. Our violent crime rate is extremely low with domestic abuse being the most common.

Micronesians receive the most condemnation for their lifestyles. Many are not citizens but live here legally under the COFA agreement. They are not particularly violent but are responsible for many property crimes and arrests. Like many bottom-dwellers on the mainland, they seem to be allergic to honest labor.

Every day I'm glad I chose Maui for retirement. I no longer have an alarm system or a gun in my nightstand.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 05-30-2021 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: Added a line

Old 05-30-2021, 02:22 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,600,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
But this thread is about people’s reaction to violence in America’s inner cities.
that is not the title of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies