Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 08:05 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times

Advertisements

If you're against Obamacare, single-payer, and Medicare For All, do you consider that it's a bad idea because it's a government takeover of medical care?

If so, the chances are that you were cleverly manipulated by Frank Luntz, a Republican pollster who tested various biased phrases, and advocated the phrase "government takeover" as the best to scare people off.

Lie of the Year: 'A government takeover of health care'
In the spring of 2009, a Republican strategist settled on a brilliant and powerful attack line for President Barack Obama's ambitious plan to overhaul America's health insurance system. Frank Luntz, a consultant famous for his phraseology, urged GOP leaders to call it a "government takeover."

https://www.politifact.com/article/2...r-health-care/

Old 06-01-2021, 08:11 PM

727 posts, read 304,724 times
I am not educated enough on the subject to give an opinion, with that being said, we need Partisan support to reign in these private insurance companies.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:12 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Without my Canadian universal healthcare I pay NO premiums for (yes, my taxes are marginally higher than in the USA, but we get value for that), I would be bankrupt and destitute after my 3.5 month stay in ICU 15 years ago.

Need a hip replaced? Yeah, you will wait longer than in the USA, but that is often a life style affliction. Need emergency or urgent care? It's there in spades and now.

Canada spends 1/3 less as a percentage of GDP than the USA with a better outcome.. Canadians live longer. In the end, that is the only thing that matters.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightZeroTX View Post
I am not educated enough on the subject to give an opinion, with that being said, we need Partisan support to reign in these private insurance companies.
You know, this is the second one of your posts today that I was impressed by.

Thank you.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:14 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
US healthcare needs a complete overhaul. Keeping the same system, but having the government pay for it, will cost more than 2/3 of the world's nations GDP combined. Focusing on who's paying doesn't address why it's so overpriced.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:14 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,511,188 times
Government health care has a long history in this nation. In 1798 President Adams signed the Act for the Relief of Sick and Disabled Seamen. It provided health services to members of the merchant marine and funded hospitals through the Marine Hospital Fund. Twenty cents was taken out of each seaman's monthly salary and put into the fund. The ship masters were required to collect the money or their license would not be renewed.

None of this would have been foreign to Washington, Jefferson, Madison and Monroe. Even during the build up to the Revolution, the Crown and the Founders who were in the Virginia House of Burgess agreed that free hospital care for the mentally ill in Virginia should be provided. On April 11, 1767 (Lt.) Governor Fauquier proposed the hospital. It opened in 1773. James Madison sat on its board of directors; its primary physician for many years was Dr. John de Sequeyra who was a physician to many of the Founders when they were in Williamsburg. The hospital, Eastern State Hospital, still exists in Williamsburg.

So, a government takeover, well not as much as when during the Washington Administration, under the Lighthouse Act of 1789 all privately owned buoys were nationalized.

Last edited by webster; 06-01-2021 at 08:24 PM..

Old 06-01-2021, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Without my Canadian universal healthcare I pay NO premiums for (yes, my taxes are marginally higher than in the USA, but we get value for that), I would be bankrupt and destitute after my 3.5 month stay in ICU 15 years ago.

Need a hip replaced? Yeah, you will wait longer than in the USA, but that is often a life style affliction. Need emergency or urgent care? It's there in spades and now.

Canada spends 1/3 less as a percentage of GDP than the USA with a better outcome.. Canadians live longer. In the end, that is the only thing that matters.
Yes. that's the crucial thing to remember: That overall, we Americans spend more and have a worse outcome.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:16 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times
I'm actually not opposed to public provision of health care, because the private sector has failed to ration it properly.

However pointing a finger at someone and saying, "you were tricked", is not going to change minds only harden them.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:20 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,558,130 times
If you want cheap access to what Americans would consider substandard quality health-care, then sure, jack up taxes by 3 trillion dollars a year and have at it.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:22 PM

727 posts, read 304,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
You know, this is the second one of your posts today that I was impressed by.

Thank you.
Thank you. I had state specific health benefits from Police retirement prior to moving to Texas which didn't work in Texas.

When enrollment came around, the plans on the marketplace were disastrous, I might as well pay out of pocket. Something needs to be done.

I wish both parties could put their differences aside and find a solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies