Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2021, 11:33 AM

29,447 posts, read 14,631,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Just wow...

Myths, and assumptions.

Racking a pump is a well known myth, no more likely to discourage an intruder than racking a 1911, or a G19.

At 12' a cylinder choke tactical shotgun has a spread of about 1" with 00 buck. At 20 yards it's about 10", is your house typically closer to 12' distance, or 20 yard distance?

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box...e-box-o-truth/

I'll just leave that there in regards to Over Penetrating rounds...
Great info, thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2021, 11:43 AM

7,501 posts, read 4,349,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Also, I think the spread rate for pellets is something like 1" per yard so the spread isn't exactly what you think it will be in close quarters.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:48 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,095,198 times
I'll take myself with my Louisville slugger behind the door as they enter the room and save my 454 Ruger for a closer encounter. What fun is it unless you can hit em really hard?

Old 06-08-2021, 12:47 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I'll take myself with my Louisville slugger behind the door as they enter the room and save my 454 Ruger for a closer encounter. What fun is it unless you can hit em really hard?
Non-firearm :
I have everything from a recurve bow and broadheads, hatchets, hunting knives, machetes and my favorite, a Samurai sword.

Old 06-08-2021, 12:50 PM

8,940 posts, read 2,961,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTU2 View Post
I know you were not, but it's hard to conceal carry a musket. Unless you have LONG legs.
What about the flintlock pistols they had at the time?

Old 06-08-2021, 12:56 PM

8,940 posts, read 2,961,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Because the round fired will penetrate several walls, continue for some distance and enter through the walls of the next house and potentially injure someone.
Isn't that up to the home owner? What if you live in a place where there are no neighbors on adjoining walls?

Last edited by paracord; 06-08-2021 at 01:06 PM..

Old 06-08-2021, 01:25 PM

11,027 posts, read 5,980,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
It is a CHOICE. And I thought dems weer all for "choice"
Yes they are. You need to choose what they say you must.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I don't think ANY rifle or shotgun is the best choice for home defense.

Just my personal opinion.
Any long gun can be a bit unwieldy in a home but not necessarily. They do point well. The long barrel can also be grabbed and the gun pulled out of one's hands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Also, I think the spread rate for pellets is something like 1" per yard so the spread isn't exactly what you think it will be in close quarters.
At close quarters that shot gun swarm of pellets will cut a hole bigger than the bore right through and attacker. Well, almost right through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Just wow...

Myths, and assumptions.

Racking a pump is a well known myth, no more likely to discourage an intruder than racking a 1911, or a G19.
It is? I've known the police who carried shotguns to bring the gun into battery for the psychological effect. Having a gun pointed at you is one thing but hearing it made ready to fire does get one's attention. The police didn't rack the action as such. Just that last locking action. Well, I don't know.

Old 06-08-2021, 01:40 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,272,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
It is? I've known the police who carried shotguns to bring the gun into battery for the psychological effect.
There are two parts of psychological effect. One is the person you're trying to intimidate.

The other is yourself, I'm pretty sure cops who feel that racking a shotgun is intimidating do feel a whole lot more confident after hearing it. There's just no evidence that it's intimidating to the people its meant to intimidate.

Old 06-08-2021, 07:09 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Just what the 2nd says. No govt can infringe the right... and unlike other amendments, it lists NO exceptions. So they can't use the IC excuse to restrict or ban guns any more.
You know damn well unauthorized militia is highly illegal. Try organizing your buddies for a little tactical domestic warfare training in the neighborhood and let the FBI/ATF catch wind of that... Yes militia is illegal in governments eyes, as their only intent is to fight government tyrants.
The police state has over taken and suppressed the free state.... Patriot Act sealed that deal with the NDAA the icing on the cake.
The privilege of only citizens 21years of age non-felons and mentally sane may keep but never bear the small arms government allows, and shall be altered when government feels threatened.

Everyone knows this.

Old 06-08-2021, 07:39 PM

3,074 posts, read 3,261,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
It is? I've known the police who carried shotguns to bring the gun into battery for the psychological effect. Having a gun pointed at you is one thing but hearing it made ready to fire does get one's attention. The police didn't rack the action as such. Just that last locking action. Well, I don't know.
Can we just stop with this debate. If you feel better with the "racking" sound, of a shotgun, a pistol, whatever, then fine, go with it. But let's not pretend that it's the 'best' or even 'better' way to deal with these situations.

First, I would venture having a firearm aimed at you with the operator having intent and justification to it's use is going to mean way more than hearing a "racking sound".

Second, just because some number of LEO do it, and absolutely no disrespect to LEO, doesn't mean that it's necessarily truly effective or effective enough to outweigh the disadvantages. Plus the scenarios that LEO deals with are vastly different than a homeowner.

Which brings me to finally, I won't go too deeply down the rabbit hole of debating the value of the 'psychological' effect of the racking sound, vs simply having the weapon in battery to begin with to better ensure that you have the highest probability of having at least 1 round successfully go boom. For me, personally, I'd rather be in condition one, to a) reduce the probability of operator error in a high stress situation of getting the round into battery, b) reduce the probability of a mechanical issue getting at least one round into battery and c) reduce the response time of my ability to get that first shot in flight because of the proximity or timeliness of the situation.

I know that folks will disagree for various reasons and I'm cool with that, it's just when someone claims that their approach is 'best' or even 'better'. Choose what works for you in your situation given your balance of the variables involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies