Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 10:22 AM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times

Advertisements

Pretty ridiculous that the media and some people now think there's something wrong when people don't automatically protest (and violently riot) with huge crowds every time a Black person gets shot by police.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...k-man-78116555

Quote:
Lindsay Myeni and her South African husband moved to Hawaii, where she grew up, believing it would be safer to raise their two Black children here than in another U.S. state.

Three months after they arrived, Honolulu police shot and killed her husband, 29-year-old Lindani Myeni, who was Black.

Of Hawaii’s 1.5 million residents, just 3.6% are Black, according to U.S. Census Bureau data. Yet in Honolulu alone, Black people made up more than 7% of the people police used force against, according to Honolulu police data for 2019.

While there have been some local gatherings and small protests decrying Myeni's death, it hasn't inspired the passionate outrage seen elsewhere in the aftermath of the death of George Floyd, a Black man killed last year by a white officer in Minnesota, and other killings by police.

Myeni's death “would have generated mass protests in any other American city,” said Kenneth Lawson, a Black professor at University of Hawaii's law school.

“When you're told you live in a paradise and you point out that it's not paradise for people of color, that makes people uncomfortable,” he said.

Old 06-09-2021, 10:29 AM

73,038 posts, read 62,646,469 times
I heard about that shooting days ago. I didn't want to talk about it, but I was shocked. Hawaii? Given that a large portion of Hawaii's Black population is in the military or is higher achieving than Black populations in other states (even though Blacks are about 3.6% of Hawaii's population), I would expect better from Hawaii.

Old 06-09-2021, 10:41 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
There is a lot of racism in Hawaii. Especially against white people. It's not hard to imagine that this type of racism doesn't flow over to black people as well. The residents there probably don't care much that this person died.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 06-09-2021, 10:52 AM

73,038 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
There is a lot of racism in Hawaii. Especially against white people. It's not hard to imagine that this type of racism doesn't flow over to black people as well. The residents there probably don't care much that this person died.
White people are certainly resented in Hawaii. No doubt. At the same time, the first person I hear about being shot in Hawaii (and this is the first time I've heard of it), it had to be a Black person.

It's still hard to imagine this happening in Hawaii. That's one of the last places I would expect. I would expect this in most places in the mainland (I've become very jaded over the years). And the person who got shot was an immigrant who didn't expect this.

You can claim I'm playing the race card all you want. However, this is one thing that always goes through my mind whenever I think about moving somewhere: How I will be perceived as a Black person being there. It is something in the back of my mind.

Old 06-09-2021, 10:57 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,992,923 times
Quote:
According to police's account of the fatal shooting, Myeni entered a home that wasn't his, sat down and took off his shoes, prompting a frightened occupant to call 911. Outside the house, he ignored commands to get on the ground and physically attacked officers, leaving one with a concussion, police said.
From the OP article. ^

If so, yet another case of a person combating police and not complying.

Also, this man is from the South Africa, which has some of the most violent culture on earth, for a country not at war.

Old 06-09-2021, 11:03 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Maybe it's just hard to bus in protest supporters over there.

Old 06-09-2021, 11:10 AM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Pretty ridiculous that the media and some people now think there's something wrong when people don't automatically protest (and violently riot) with huge crowds every time a Black person gets shot by police.
Was the policeman in Hawaii who did the shooting, also black?

The article carefully doesn't say.

If so, there's your answer.

Old 06-09-2021, 11:16 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Nearly 50% of Hawaii’s population is Asian pacific. They don’t fit the narrative of racist white men.

Old 06-09-2021, 11:26 AM

78,436 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
White people are certainly resented in Hawaii. No doubt. At the same time, the first person I hear about being shot in Hawaii (and this is the first time I've heard of it), it had to be a Black person.
Yes, this is the first time you heard of it because it was a black person.

If they guy they'd shot had been white it never would have been made into national news.

Unequal reporting has thus created a perception bias.

Old 06-09-2021, 11:27 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,739,500 times
The police did something/anything involving a black person and there isn't a protest you say?? Sounds like progress in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies