Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 05:50 AM

59,200 posts, read 27,403,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Stop and frisk is a severe violation of civil rights. People cannot just be stopped randomly and searched. People are for stop and frisk until they're the ones stopped and frisked.
"People cannot just be stopped randomly and searched." They were NOT, so STOP speading lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2021, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
It was never "stop and frisk". That is a leftist media made up way of saying it because it acts as though police were stopping everyone and frisking them all the time. That is wildly false. The real term was stop, question and frisk. The idea was to engage in conversation to see what the "KNOWN" troublemakers were up to.

Police were never just stopping random people and frisking them. Completely false leftist media made up crap.

I will say one thing. I loved NYC when it was safe with Giuliani and then Bloomberg. Now it is a crap hole. Way too much crime and the bad element took it back over and fast. Sure didn't take long after two great mayors. Shame.
Don't confuse them with the FACTS. They can't handle them.

You will have them running back to their "safe places" with their crayons and theosophist phone number!

Old 06-10-2021, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There have been studies showing that it's been unfairly applied more towards blacks but yeah....it's bad for everyone constitutionally.
"There have been studies. Who paid for them? Provide them WITH the REAL stats from the police.

Old 06-10-2021, 05:58 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,136,913 times
Step one in federalizing all policing is selling the idea to the public.

"We have to do this to keep you safe. You aren't safe unless we do this, so you have to let it happen or you won't be safe."

Fear is the most powerful motivator. You can persuade someone to do almost anything, if you can successfully tap into their fears about it.

This is a very, very bad development, and people should be railing against it.

Old 06-10-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
What other civil rights violations are you all for because they would work? Want to let police demand to randomly search everyone's house? How about we randomly stop every vehicle on a highway and do a full compartment search?

Was it a consensual stop? If the guys had refused, would the officer have detained them? If so, then that's also a civil rights violation. Now if he had heard them talking about high school homework, or prom, or something to indicate they were underage, that's different.
"What other civil rights violations are you all fo"

NO civil rights were violated.

Old 06-10-2021, 06:00 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,630,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Step one in federalizing all policing is selling the idea to the public.

"We have to do this to keep you safe. You aren't safe unless we do this, so you have to let it happen or you won't be safe."

Fear is the most powerful motivator. You can persuade someone to do almost anything, if you can successfully tap into their fears about it.

This is a very, very bad development, and people should be railing against it.
You are precisely right!! Couldnt have said it better myself!

If you look back thru recent history its easy to see how they have utilized this 'keeping you safe for your own good' tactic...

But what they are really doing is disguising tyranny.

Old 06-10-2021, 06:07 AM

Quote:
And again, I'll ask what other [insert justification here] do you want to "stop" by what kinds of rights violation? Where is the bar? You want to randomly subject people to a colonoscopy to ensure they're not body packing heroin? Well do we want to see a stop to senseless drug deaths or don't we?

WRONG! I can't speak for everyone, but I'm strongly against both!

For one, it isn't random. I've literally NEVER been searched by the tsa, and never will be. For two, that doesn't mean that that's right either. If I had it my way, all of tsa's blue shirts would be locked up in gitmo tomorrow with the gate welded shut behind them! Just because we're letting morons violate our rights for a long time, doesn't mean it's right, nor does it mean that we can let them do more.

So? Until their content reaches a violation of a law, they should be left alone.

Not necessarily. It's possible the officer knew the limits and would have just said "have a nice day" and not begun a non-consensual encounter.

You don't have to fight them to know your rights and stand up for them. Maybe you should browse YouTube's first amendment auditors. Most of them are pretty good. A few are nothing more than screaming idiots looking for a fight. But they demonstrate quite well how to stand up for your rights with the police without escalating anything and they always win, either during the encounter, or in court.

Wow, that's your attitude? That would go well in some place like the communists occupying China, or North Korea or Iran or some other dystopian nightmare.
"You want to randomly subject people to a colonoscopy"

Your asinine wild exaggeration are all I need to know about you!

Old 06-10-2021, 06:09 AM

9,480 posts, read 5,255,308 times
Quote:
Stop and frisk is a severe violation of civil rights. People cannot just be stopped randomly and searched. People are for stop and frisk until they're the ones stopped and frisked.
NYPD can pat me down any time they like - LOL......kinda just kidding.....sort of ......

Old 06-10-2021, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maino View Post
Statistically, Stop and Frisk was proven to be a total failure.

Locking up thousands of urban youth for petty weed crimes is not a success.
"Statistically, Stop and Frisk was proven to be a total failure."

Depends on where and how it was used.

In NYC, it was HUGE SUCCESS.

I had to go to NYC often for my job. I would NEVER have taken my wife with me.

After Giuliani "fixed" a lot of the problems, I took her often.

Old 06-10-2021, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maino View Post
Incorrect. An analysis of 12 years of Stop and Frisk in NYC shows [almost no impact on violent crime](https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...hat-effective/). Gun findings, murder rate, and actual shootings.

In fact, when expanded to New York state wide, it was found that [only one in 16 arrests that resulted from Stop and Frisk served any significant jail time](http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/new-analy...ow-ineffective). Only one out of every 1000 stop and frisks resulted in a weapons charge or led to a violent crime conviction. 25% were dismissed outright prior to arraignment or were considered non-criminal charges.

In short: Juries and judges tended to side towards privacy. Communities were outraged at the poor targeting of the program, with the above 'hit rates' considered very poor. And a federal monitor was called in to oversee sweeping reforms to the police department’s policy in NY.
Look at your "sources".

Mad magazine has MORE credibility then they do COMBINED!

Being you are so "good" at doing research, why not provide the REAL STATS from trh NYC police dept. and mayors office at the time.

But hey some flunky "newspaper" knows MORE then the officials involved!

Heck the SAME ones couldn't even find the infamous "blue dress" with ALL their highly trained "investigative reporters", but some unknown blogger did.

And you want us to believe they have credibility?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies