Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 05:38 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You don't "feel"? Obviously, you haven't informed yourself of the facts! You don't even live in this country so how do you know anyway? We also have robust worker programs so WTH are you talking about? We allow in over 1 million legal immigrants a year and yes we have many naturalized citizens.
You do realize it's possible to be a natural-born American who happens to work overseas? You know that, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2021, 05:40 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Texas can start a GO FUND IT page... I'd be more than happy to support that. FYI... I did not support the private effort to do so, but I would support Texas.

Old 06-12-2021, 05:42 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I would imagine that the state is going to have to buy private property. And I assume that the state cannot connect to (or in any other way interfere with) any existing Federal barrier whether it's a fence, wall or dirt road.

Personally I think this is something that the Governor knows won't work but he's using it to gin up support.
"Personally I think this is something that the Governor knows won't work"

And what great experiences, education do you have to come up with your opinion?

It has been PROVEN that where "good" walls are built, crossing in these area are way DOWN.

The Berlin wall worked.

The "wall", and its only a fence, around the White House works.

The "wall", again, only a fence, around the Capitol works. So why do you think this 1 WON'T?

Old 06-12-2021, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
And we all thought Mexico was building the Wall. So why did they stop?
"And we all thought Mexico was building the Wall"

That is what you get for thinking.

NO ONE said Mexico was going to build a wall.

Old 06-12-2021, 05:47 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
You do realize it's possible to be a natural-born American who happens to work overseas? You know that, right?
Are you speaking of someone born on our soil to citizen parents and as an adult they take a job overseas or someone born overseas to citizen parents? Of course under both scenarios they are citizens of our country then. The discussion is about the offspring of illegal alien parents born on our soil and no according to the 14th Amendment they are not actual birthright citizens.

Old 06-12-2021, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I don't know anyone who said the wall was bad. Just a waste of money.

I always said, if Mexico is going to pay for it, knock yourself out, Trump! But of course Mexico is not paying for it. So if Texas is paying for it, knock yourself out, Abbott!
"I don't know anyone who said the wall was bad. Just a waste of money."

Then you don't keep up with the news!

"But of course Mexico is not paying for it."

You might want to look up what "tariffs" are!

Old 06-12-2021, 05:49 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Ask any security company... walls, barriers, obstructions work. However they're referred to as a 'delay'. Walls are like a vaccine during a pandemic... they prevent a foreign body from infecting the healthy one about 95% of the time.

Old 06-12-2021, 05:51 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I support a border wall, and I wish that the border was 100% secure. But at the same time, I don’t feel like Mexican and Central American immigrants can harm our country any more than what we are doing ourselves.

I currently live in a country which makes it basically impossible for foreigners to ever become a citizen, but they also have a very robust guest worker program. If you are an asset to the host country, they will take care of you (some what). But the day you stop being an asset, you get deported, no questions asked. I wish we had that system in the US.

But I know that will never happen. We will continue to kick our broken system down the road, until it eventually implodes in all of our faces.

We are a stupid country, and I think we all need to come to terms with that. Immigration will never be fixed, short of someone inventing a time machine to go back in time to kill the Immigration Act of 1965, permanently.
We are not talking about immigrants. We are talking about illegal aliens swarming in, and who are unable to support themselves.

And you mention a guest worker program, granted to those who are an asset to the country. I’m all for that. Bit again, that’s not what the wall is intended to block. It’s to block, or at least reduce, the hundreds of thousands of illegal aliens who lower the caliber of our schools and become a financial burden to Americans.

Old 06-12-2021, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Abbot is up for re-election next year and needs to score some points. Looks like he will face some stiff competition in the primary. According to the link, Abbout intents to spend a part of 1 billion on the wall. Given how much has been spent thus far on 140 miles of wall, maybe Abbot can fund a few incremental feet.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/10...-rising-trump/

As of year end, 2020, 140 miles of new wall had been erected, of which 100 miles replaced existing walls/ barriers. Only 40 miles of incremental wall had been built. Beginning a year ago, border protection said the ne wall was not achieving goals. People continued to scale the wall, tunnel underneath and blast through it.

It would be far cheaper for Texas to make EVerify of all employees and contractors mandatory with jaw dropping fines for offenders. Maybe Texas could do so and not create intentional loopholes the other states have.

No wall is high enough and no patrol deep enough so long as US businesses and people continue to employ undocumented people, including independent contractors.

Long time former Republican Governor, Perry was opposed to both a wall and eVerify. He obviously understood who buttered his bread in his state.

As far as Harris visiting, what’s the point, beyond a PR stunt?

I have long thought border surges were sponsored by third parties. People working the garbage dumps in Guatemala don’t have a pot to **** in and suddenly have funding to pay coyotes to take their kids across? I did not buy in in 2019 and I don’t buy it now.
"Beginning a year ago, border protection said the ne wall was not achieving goals. People continued to scale the wall, tunnel underneath and blast through it."

Back it up.

Old 06-12-2021, 05:58 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Are you speaking of someone born on our soil to citizen parents and as an adult they take a job overseas or someone born overseas to citizen parents? Of course under both scenarios they are citizens of our country then. The discussion is about the offspring of illegal alien parents born on our soil and no according to the 14th Amendment they are not actual birthright citizens.
I'm speaking of WK91's specific situation, one you are apparently unaware of when you say things to him like

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldglory
You don't "feel"? Obviously, you haven't informed yourself of the facts! You don't even live in this country so how do you know anyway?
You may want to do a search on his postings and inform yourself before trying to mock him on his understanding of American issues. "Fire, ready, aim" aptly describes your reaction to his post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies