Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 08:57 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
In Oklahoma, it's under $1000. It had to be reduced to that, because Oklahoma didn't have enough public money to sustain continuing to be the most highly imprisoned place in the world.
The threshold in Oklahoma was increased to $1000 in 2016.

Retail theft is amongst the most under reported crime. Most stores don’t report retail theft under $x as the cost of reporting exceeds the value of goods stolen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 09:02 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
What a shame that there are all these "thresholds" for theft. All these policies are doing is hurting the small shops, since they can't absorb the theft like the large big box stores. Proof that regardless of what "side" made these policies , they are for the big corporations and not the average mom and pop owner.

Old 06-16-2021, 09:03 AM

9,895 posts, read 4,656,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
In 2019, Walgreens closed 200 of nearly 10,000 stores as they undertook “ transformational cost management”.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...es/1937722001/

One can fill a script nearly everywhere but gas stations. Prescriptions by mail have also put a serious dent in the business.

As is too common in retail, brands tend to open new stores and eventually realize the market is too competitive to survive. Retail and employee theft is challenging everywhere. Some areas more so than others and not limited to low income communities.

It’s a curious thing to see what any store chooses to keep under lock and key, certain OTC meds, baby formula, some alcohol, some cosmetic products, cigs, etc.
I doubt it's part of the 'normal course of business' for many of these Walgreens. A corporate press release would put problem stores/locations on a list to hide them and/or not admit they are indeed problem stores. This is why there are food/grocery store deserts in many cities . Margins are too thin and theft cuts into them.

Old 06-16-2021, 09:04 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
In 2016, Walmart closed 269 out of nearly 5000 stores. Those closed were underperforming stores throughout the US. Oakland was one of them.

https://www.ktvu.com/news/oakland-wa...oses-its-doors
But WHY was Oakland one of them? It wasn't because it was under-performing... This was one of Walmart's more successful stores. I bet theft was a part of it...

https://abc7news.com/walmart-wal-mar...tores/1160210/

Old 06-16-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
So, Welcome to Oklahoma where Republicans successfully advanced justice reform and so my local Wal-Mart, the one on the lower income side of town, had to put up one way automatic gates at the entrance and has at least one worker stationed watching to make sure shoplifters aren't leaving with a major item. Interesting how the Wal-Mart on the higher income side of town didn't see fit to put up one way auto gates.
I am a huge fan of road trips in the US.

While I despise shopping, I make an exception when vacationing. It is amazing the different strategies employed by stores, regardless of location. One Walmart in an upscale area comes to mind for the over the top strategies employed. There were employees at the exit who had tablets with the purchases in each cart used to compare what was actually in the cart. It took forever to get out of the store with a case of water.

Cashiers working with thieves is a challenge, everywhere.

Old 06-16-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Right. About the only job openings are at restaurants and fast foods.
Tulsa is paying remote workers $10,000 to relocate for one year. No strings attached.

Presumably, they hope some will stay put and revitalize/ gentrify certain neighborhoods and create a base of high tech employees so it can attract tech companies to relocate.

I have my doubts this strategy will achieve objectives.

Old 06-16-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Hopefully you’ve learned from your mistake in voting Blue and will not do the same in Florida. I live in a Blue hell hole and been thinking of moving to Florida myself, but I’m holding off since way too many NY/NJ refugees are moving down there AND without question vote Blue.

Good luck in your new life in Florida!!
This thread is about retail theft, no?

NY and Virgina have the lowest threshold for retail theft at $200.

In 2019, Florida increased its threshold to $750, still amongst the lowest in the US.

Texas and Wisconsin have the highest thresholds @ $2500.

Florida has a huge homeless challenge. The woods and beaches are particular favorite locations. It tends to be the location for some of the more bizarre crimes in the US. “ Florida man” is a thing. It also has the third highest concentration of illegals, after California and Texas. Quite remarkable given it does not share a land border with another country.

Something about agriculture and tourism…..

Old 06-16-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Put them on chain gangs for lessor crimes and death penalty for more serious crimes and poor or not, you'll see less crime.

Promote funding education. We provide free basic education now and there are agencies who provide help to people who are truly in need. For a change, why not place the blame of the crime on the sorry, no-good for nothing criminals instead of falling all over yourself trying to make sure their rights are not infringed on and making every excuse under the sun as to why they are no-good rotten to the core thugs to begin with. I just want to get down on the ground and throw up whenever I hear such BS as you just spouted.

Make it unacceptable and I mean really unacceptable to be a criminal and you will see drastic reduction in crime. Let them get by with their crimes and you will see an increase in crime. It's all very fundamental so surely even the most simpleminded can understand the basics here, even with just a 12 year education provided free of charge courtesy of taxpayers.

Everyone is born with a mind and the ability to make decisions (with the exception of some mental cases of which there are places to help those people too). To keep forever making excuses for the ones (who for whatever reasons refuse to abide by society's laws) is just asinine retarded. Puke, puke, puke.
I am a huge fan of consequences.

Chop a finger off for every theft conviction. Sew it up. Give the thief a bottle of antibiotics and call it a day.

Old 06-16-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Theft or retail theft. Retail theft is still treated differently in some states frequently requiring an arrest and trip to the police station. They might be let go with a citation but that's the issue in SF because these thieves won't even experience handcuffs.
Not too different elsewhere.

Retail theft is amongst the most underreported crime. Most retail have policies to not report theft under $X.
They have to pay someone to commute and show in court to prosecute.

Failure of retailers to show in court is very common. Charges are dismissed. Rinse/ repeat.

Thieves know this.

Old 06-16-2021, 09:36 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
All of these stores are being forced to lock down anything that gets constantly stolen. Booze, electronics, makeup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies