Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 08:36 PM

33,572 posts, read 18,177,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Onward and upward! He'll soon be one of the owners of the globe, literally. They are buying up all the houses and farmland.
BLM is also buying up vast amounts of land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2021, 08:39 PM

33,572 posts, read 18,177,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Bill Gates is working to ensure there is a large group of easily exploitable people in America. For what purpose, we can only guess. Although communism does depend on being able to hold down and exploit large segments of the population.
Keeping people dumb is the way to control them. What they don't know will not hurt them.. so they keep them uneducated and stupid and poor so the rich can control them much easier.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:41 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
I have an advanced degree in mathematics...I'm doomed
You must be very advanced in Applied Racism.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:56 PM

25,775 posts, read 18,840,914 times
So then, the left wants blacks to be stupid, incompetent drains on society.

Sounds like progress to me, eh progressives? I don't think the big-name racists of the past could have thought of a better way to keep blacks as an underclass. Way to go. Maybe you could force them to live in shacks behind the fields and pick cotton for sixteen hours a day. What other ideas can you come up with to make blacks unsuccessful, libs?

Old 11-04-2021, 05:16 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

Sounds like progress to me, eh progressives? I don't think the big-name racists of the past could have thought of a better way to keep blacks as an underclass. Way to go. Maybe you could force them to live in shacks behind the fields and pick cotton for sixteen hours a day. What other ideas can you come up with to make blacks unsuccessful, libs?
Progressives at their core are only interested in their own progress to power, on the backs of whoever they can convince to go along

Old 11-04-2021, 05:39 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

This is nothing new. Everything the left has done in the name of equality and fairness, has put the black community at a disadvantage.

The only difference is the SJW's are now making it about white supremacy, so if you learn what you're supposed to learn, the way it's taught, you can be accused of being a white supremacist.

Old 11-04-2021, 06:44 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,004,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
BLM is also buying up vast amounts of land.
Well, they are the Bureau of Land Management after all.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:09 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drebin_7 View Post
Okay. So this one is complicated, so I'm just going to give a very general overview of my understanding then point you in the right direction to learn more.

It'll be easiest, I think, to start with what "the left" is saying (it's important to note that this isn't really "the left"; it's not a party platform or anything, but there are groups of officials promoting some of these ideas). The basic gist is not that math itself is racist, but that the way it's taught tends to favor instruction towards privileged kids. For instance, underprivileged kids may not have the background or support to understand why simply learning math is important, but what may help them is understanding why math is important. If the math is taught for its own sake, the privileged kids are more likely to just learn it because they understand the benefits it will have in their later careers, or will learn it just because that's what they're encouraged to do.

The problem is in the opposite, that the kids who don't understand or don't believe it will benefit them later in life, or who aren't encouraged just to perform well academically for its own sake, aren't going to learn it if it's taught on its own merits. Additional curriculum, under "the left"'s proposal, would include lessons on why math is important, involving things like word problems that relate to your real life to show how it can be useful, eg using calculus to estimate your yard's square footage to understand how long it'll take you to mow it, rather than using calculus to find the area of a shape because the worksheet says to.

That kind of thing.

That's not all, but it's a very broad topic and that's just one example to help show that how math is taught can have an impact on which kids are going to better learn it-- another quick example is focusing less on getting the answer right, and more on understanding how to think about the answer (again, getting the answer right would favor more academically inclined students).
Now, an interjection to segue us onto what the right's saying about this:

I've been using the terms privileged and underprivileged. What a lot of these proposals from "the left" are saying, though, are more explicit about what we're really talking about here: white kids, and minority kids.

This is where the "racism" part comes in, because these proposals in their language, if not their practice, tend to use rhetoric involving race.

And the right tends to not like that very much (not necessarily without merit, but imo, often without much point).

This isn't necessarily a point to either side, but it is relevant to the discussion so I'm leaving it in the middle place so you can draw your own conclusions about it.

Now, what the right is largely arguing here are (funny enough) similar arguments against the no child left behind act: Basically that by tailoring the curriculum to expand the capacity of the least academically inclined, the students who are the most academically inclined will be held back. In other words... the white kids who are doing great in math are going to have to sit through lessons about why math is important so the minority kids don't blow it off (that's not the language I'd personally use, but everyone seems to be making this about race so there it is). The top students are going to be slowed down in a lot of areas to broaden the teaching to students who, according to the left's proposals, will do better when taught differently.

There's also a fair bit of outrage on the right based on the framing of the ideas-- that math is being called "racist" as a form of over-progressiveness or virtue signalling.

Geeze this got way longer than I intended so let me do a sort of tl;dr:

The left believes that math should be taught differently, in ways that can encourage those who aren't predisposed to do well academically.

The right believes that this will stifle those who are gifted and negate their chance to excel based on their natural abilities.

My opinion? Well, I'm not usually one to both sides but since we're in the sub for it, there seems to be a lot of sensationalism coming from both sides. What the left is actually proposing isn't nearly as bad as what the right is claiming they're proposing-- you've probably already had examples of the kind of teaching I'm talking about, the left just wants to make it more standard and inclusive. Also, the practical implications of what is being implemented aren't nearly as race-oriented or restrictive as some on the left are actually saying should be done-- common sense is taking over and curriculum is being standardized that focuses on better teaching for everyone, not just focusing on the most disadvantaged at the expense of everyone else.

Sorry for the long post, but it's a complicated topic and I didn't even really get started.

Based on the bolded, the answer then is for the teachers to do a better job at teaching underprivileged students why math is important, not changing everything.

The second thing is, if what you were saying is true, they wouldn't need to use phrases like 'white supremacy', so they're making it about race, even if you're not seeing it.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:18 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,236,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
  • “white supremacy” in math is teachers asking students to “show their work” when solving math problems
  • Students are encouraged to make TikTok videos rather than bow to the “paternalism” of writing things down.
  • the Oregon Department of Education encouraged teachers to take “ethnomathematics”
  • teachers to “identify and challenge the ways that math is used to uphold capitalist, imperialist, and racist views.”
  • “Objectivity,” if one doesn’t follow, is considered an aspect of white supremacy.

https://equitablemath.org/wp-content.../1_STRIDE1.pdf

https://equitablemath.org/

"We also wish to thank the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for their generous financial support of this project."
This comes *straight* from CRT.

CRT rejects the academic notions of objectivity, balance, and neutrality. CRT is all about subjectivity and being political (in order to disrupt/destroy the inherently evil white supremacist power structures that keep blacks down)

And, the book you linked in the PDF "A Pathway To Equitable Math Instruction" has already been adopted by the San Diego Unified School District as a teaching aid for teachers. (There's that word again 'equitable', too)

I can only surmise that many other school districts around the US also have this book to help "guide" teachers in destroying the integrity of mathematics.

Old 11-08-2021, 10:37 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
California Plan To Inject ‘Social Justice’ Into High School Math On Hold After Backlash
https://www.dailywire.com/news/calif...after-backlash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies