Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2021, 05:45 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
You're 100% correct. I've found that the difference between the left and the right is that the left believes that the majority of folks in bad situations ended up there through no fault of there own, whereas the right believes that the majority of folks in bad situations got there due to poor decision making or laziness.

I tend to lean towards the right on the this issue, but that doesn't mean I don't acknowledge that some people are the victim of circumstances beyond their control. I just wish lefties would acknowledge that there are people who would rather whine and blame others for their situation instead of taking pro-active measures to better their plight.

Frankly, the left's promotion of victim culture has made the situation worsen. The lefties/media have given just about everyone an excuse for their lack of achievement.

That excuse usually involves the devil incarnate: white men. It's nonsense of course - white men could disappear tomorrow and there will still be haves and have nots. And the left will come up with some other excuse.
This is the crux of the matter.

The right has always said it's the majority, but not ALL. The right has always been for a safety net, a soft landing.

But the left demonizes the right as uncaring, and "you think they're all drug-addled losers" (said in another similar thread where not one person said that term).

We are humans. It seems like the right recognizes that humans are emotionally-flawed, and some will thus naturally take resources which they could obviously work for, or change their lifestyle to not need.

And the left is turning towards a position of

"anyone that wants, gets. No questions asked."

"Everyone deserves to be paid a living wage, defined by whatever it takes to support THEIR life choices."

Old 06-19-2021, 05:52 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
Amazon didn't locate a warehouse there without analyzing order demand, timing, ability to get the orders where/when promised.

And if they cannot get enough people at $19+/hr, then they will either:

1. get rid of the delivery timeline for everyone this distribution center serves after it closes

2. pay enough more than $19+/hr until they DO have enough people to do the work.
A married couple with high school diplomas could both get jobs there, and bring home almost $80,000 a year. That’s pretty decent money in many areas of the city, and would allow them to rent a nice apartment.

Amazon will have no problem filling jobs at $19 an hour, especially after the government stops the excess unemployment payments.

Old 06-19-2021, 06:02 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
^^^^^ Envy and resentment aren't attractive qualities.
Why are you defending the people who can drive a company into the ground and often times still get paid even in bankruptcy while the rest of the workers are out of the job on the DOL through no fault of their own?

Old 06-19-2021, 06:12 PM

11,768 posts, read 5,781,921 times
https://www.indeed.com/l-New-York,-NY-jobs.html - she's actually getting avg pay considering the job. There are plenty of studio and 1 bdrm apts across the bridge in Brooklyn for $800 - $920.

It's going to get hot in the summer and cold in the winter living in that car and are the parking lots patrolled as I'd be more afraid of the crime on the street.

Old 06-19-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
This is the crux of the matter.

The right has always said it's the majority, but not ALL. The right has always been for a safety net, a soft landing.

But the left demonizes the right as uncaring, and "you think they're all drug-addled losers" (said in another similar thread where not one person said that term).

We are humans. It seems like the right recognizes that humans are emotionally-flawed, and some will thus naturally take resources which they could obviously work for, or change their lifestyle to not need.

And the left is turning towards a position of

"anyone that wants, gets. No questions asked."

"Everyone deserves to be paid a living wage, defined by whatever it takes to support THEIR life choices."
Excellent post. But they still won't get it!

Old 06-19-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Why are you defending the people who can drive a company into the ground and often times still get paid even in bankruptcy while the rest of the workers are out of the job on the DOL through no fault of their own?
I somewhat agree with your opinion. It's disgusting what CEOs get paid but this is capitalism - much better than everyone standing in food line waiting for their gov't rations.

Continuing to support people who could support themselves is not the answer. I'm asking myself what I did wrong - paying my own school loans as well as helping my kids, working and paying taxes and paying off our home early. I obviously did something wrong because I'm paying out the yazoo for my medical insurance on the ACA, I don't have rent or utility assistance, I don't have a free phone and I have to pay for my own food - no food stamps for me.

Old 06-19-2021, 06:54 PM

17,358 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
https://www.indeed.com/l-New-York,-NY-jobs.html - she's actually getting avg pay considering the job. There are plenty of studio and 1 bdrm apts across the bridge in Brooklyn for $800 - $920.

It's going to get hot in the summer and cold in the winter living in that car and are the parking lots patrolled as I'd be more afraid of the crime on the street.

Please provide links to all the Brooklyn studios & one beds under a $1000.

Because they don’t exist.

Old 06-19-2021, 07:07 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,234,555 times
She needs to share an apartment with few other people. That’s her only option.

Old 06-19-2021, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Please provide links to all the Brooklyn studios & one beds under a $1000.

Because they don’t exist.
I agree. You can maybe rent a room for $1000. That poster must live in a cheap apartment inherited from grandma!

Old 06-19-2021, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post

Where????

Maybe subsidized housing of some kind. Definitely not a market rate apartment... Those are prices from 15 years ago!!!

Lol thanks for the laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies