Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 07:30 PM

29,520 posts, read 22,668,047 times

Advertisements

I feel bad for her, but what's Amazon supposed to do? She's already being paid nearly $20 for a warehouse type job.

Sure, I get it that $19 an hour is not even close to a livable wage in parts of New York, but that's not Amazon's fault. I'm not an elitist but the only ones that can help people like her, are the individuals themselves. Either move to a lower cost city/state, or get a higher paying job like something in tech that pays double or triple that amount.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/amazon-wo...230332461.html
Quote:
An Amazon employee who works at the company's warehouse on Staten Island in New York City says she lives in her car in the building's parking lot because she can't afford rent in the city with the $19.30 she makes per hour, Vice News reported Friday.

The woman, Natalie Monarrez, has been homeless since 2019 after struggling to find affordable permanent housing while working for two other Amazon warehouses in New Jersey that paid her even less, according to Vice.

"Jeff Bezos donates to homeless shelters for tax write-offs and PR. He needs to know that some of his own workers (without family or a second income) can't afford rent," Monarrez told Vice.

"Jeff Bezos has no idea that his workers are homeless, especially in New York, and I'm not the only one. I'm hoping executives will agree to pay workers more and that they know older workers have the right to be promoted like everyone else," she added.

While rents in New York City have fallen about 12 percent since the onset of the coronavirus pandemic, it remains one of the most expensive places to live in the country. The median asking rent for a one bedroom in New York City in June was about $2500, according to a Zumper analysis.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:32 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,989,854 times
Bezos has the money, these executives can give a COL pay increase.. Oh.. These executives that have enough money to buy countries need more.. I forgot. A cost of living pay increase for the Warehouse Slaves won't do

Then people wonder why no one wants to go back to work. Gee.. I wonder why. LOL. May have something to do with pay not keeping up with inflation.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:34 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Bezos has the money, these executives can give a COL pay increase.. Oh.. These executives that have enough money to buy countries need more.. I forgot. A cost of living pay increase won't do
Or those that think $19.30/hr is a problem, could step up and send her money. It’s that easy.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:36 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,989,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Or those that think $19.30/hr is a problem, could step up and send her money. It’s that easy.

No.. The executives that get golden parachutes and that makes millions and billions off the backbreaking sweat of their workers can gladly pony up more money for their workers.

Amazon would CEASE to exist if it lost its entire workforce. It would however survive a long time without its overpaid corporate empty suits and ties in the corner offices of the ivory towers

Old 06-18-2021, 07:39 PM

1,065 posts, read 472,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
This liberal handout mentality is the problem.

How about encouraging her to have a career that affords her a place to live?

Some people just don't believe in hard work.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:40 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
This liberal handout mentality is the problem.

How about encouraging her to have a career that affords her a place to live?

Some people just don't believe in hard work.
When the pay cant let you rent a place, the problem isn't that they dont believe i hard work, the problem is that employees arent paying a livable wage in the area.

One of the issues some in Amazon are starting to express is the massive turnover at places like these. Its enough that they have concerns that they may run out of people willing to work for them.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:41 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Why would Amazon put a warehouse in such a high-cost, anti-business area? I'd suggest this worker do what we did when we had a low-income job. GET ROOMMATES. Double up, share the rent. Live cheap. She's making $40k a year, with a couple of roommates making the same they should be fine, even at the insane COL of the NY area. Or move elsewhere-no one is "entitled" to live in the most expensive areas of the country. At some point the companies are either forced to pay more to attract workers-or also move to better, more friendly, less costly environments.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:41 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I feel bad for her, but what's Amazon supposed to do? She's already being paid nearly $20 for a warehouse type job.

Sure, I get it that $19 an hour is not even close to a livable wage in parts of New York, but that's not Amazon's fault. I'm not an elitist but the only ones that can help people like her, are the individuals themselves. Either move to a lower cost city/state, or get a higher paying job like something in tech that pays double or triple that amount.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/amazon-wo...230332461.html
I just checked. You can rent a 2-bedroom in Staten Island for around $2000 a month, or a 3-bedroom house for $2500. Let two or three Amazon workers share a place, problem solved.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:44 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
No.. The executives that get golden parachutes and that makes millions and billions off the backbreaking sweat of their workers can gladly pony up more money for their workers.

Amazon would CEASE to exist if it lost its entire workforce. It would however survive a long time without its overpaid corporate empty suits and ties in the corner offices of the ivory towers
^^^^^ Envy and resentment aren't attractive qualities.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:46 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
Quote:

In other words, you don’t want to help out, and insist that employers pay more than what a job is worth.

Ifs don’t mean anything. Except that won’t happen because many find Amazon pays enough and accept the job and its wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies