Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 07:44 AM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Do you support voter id.....
Equivalent question:

Do you support not having fraudulent elections...

Not requiring a "voter" to identify himself/herself is absolute idiocy and automatically leads to fraud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2021, 07:45 AM

5,345 posts, read 3,214,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLcycler View Post
Pot meet kettle...

... and now you both have your President and all the high costs that come with him... none of that matters though as long as he doesn't hurt your snowflake feelings with his Twitter posts like orange man bad did.
Haha, foolish. I voted for Trump. I just don't drink the "election was stolen" Kool Aid. Trump was a better candidate for the country as a whole than Biden (in my opinion). But to stick your head in the sand and say a President who lost the popular vote in 2016 and was even more unpopular in 2020 lost because of fraud....that takes some might creative thinking. Or high powered drugs.

People can vote for Trump and not be part of the brainwashed cult of personality.

Last edited by BoSox 15; 06-23-2021 at 07:56 AM..

Old 06-23-2021, 07:48 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
We're not discussing HR1. Joe Manchin has said he would not let his party get rid of the filibuster in order to pass HR1. We're discussing Manchin's proposed alternative. It includes SOME of the elements of HR1, but also includes many things that Republicans SAY they want, like voter ID. Should be a bipartisan compromise.

But Mitch McConnell wants NO bipartisan compromises. He wants NO stimulus, NO infrastructure, NO voting reform, NO immigration reform and NO new Supreme Court justices. Under Mitch, the GOP is the party of NO and if he has his way our government is paralyzed.
you just stated a bunch of partisan issues though.

Mitch already got 3 new SCOTUS judges, so how could he have said "no new judges"?

No infrastructure?

Quote:
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) signaled in a new interview that he is open to an infrastructure spending bill totaling as much as $800 billion.

"The proper price tag for what most of us think of as infrastructure is about six to 800 billion dollars," McConnell told public television in Kentucky over the weekend.
TDS-addled, I guess?

Old 06-23-2021, 07:48 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
It isn’t that expensive and not hard at all, if a18 year old who never voted before and away from home can fiqure it out, a older adult should be able to fiqure it out.
Can you say "poll tax"?

Quote:
It wasn’t difficult at all, we notarized legal documents a lot and it isn’t hard.
Swagger's point sailed right over your head, didn't it?

Old 06-23-2021, 07:49 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
There are bigots leftist here on this forum who think Latino and Blacks are too dumb to get a state Id ...
That is not the point.

There are plenty of people who literally don't need an ID in their day to day lives. Especially older folks who no longer drive and live with relatives or in nursing homes or in other remote locations.

Once their identification has been firmly established at the time of voter registration a signature should be all that is necessary to vote. It has been this way from the very beginning of our country from George Washington's day to the present and it works well. In fact signature match works much better than photo ID's, I can speak from personal experience.

There is no crises in fake voting, statistically it is almost non-existent. Exceptions can make the news but it is very rare.

What we have here is a solution lacking a problem: people really want to make it harder and more discouraging for others to vote. If they manage to shave off 1/2 a percentage point it can make all the difference in some elections. So they are grasping at nonsense like this, making a non-problem into an excuse to keep people from voting.

Old 06-23-2021, 07:52 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
It wasn’t difficult at all, we notarized legal documents a lot and it isn’t hard.
I never said it was hard. I said it takes time.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:00 AM

5,345 posts, read 3,214,825 times
I'm still trying to figure out why the "states rights" groups are now all of a sudden in favor of federal regulations?

It's crazy, and somewhat sad, that a con man can take people who call themselves conservative and have them trample all over the Constitution. All this because an unpopular President lost an election. SAD.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:02 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I never said it was hard. I said it takes time.
Then it’s a matter of priority, if one truly feels voting is important, will make time. I’ve worked full time and managed to get documents notarized and it didn’t take that long.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:05 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Once their identification has been firmly established at the time of voter registration a signature should be all that is necessary to vote. It has been this way from the very beginning of our country from George Washington's day to the present and it works well.
The reason signatures were all that was required was because that was the best way to establish identity. There were no driver licenses. There were no state ID cards. Your signature was difficult to duplicate correctly, so it was considered the most positive form of identification.

That was then. This is now.

What you're actually saying, without even realizing it, is that you support positive voter identification. The only real question is, why only the type which is the easiest to forge? I'm not suggesting that you're intentionally doing that. I'm suggesting that your opinions are not your own, and have been assigned to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
In fact signature match works much better than photo ID's, I can speak from personal experience.
I'd love to read that anecdote, but be advised, an anecdote is all that it is. No serious case can be made that a signature is a more positive form of ID than a state issued ID card, with all the anti-counterfeiting bells and whistles they contain today.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:05 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I thought everyone wanted a photo Id?

Is it easy to get if you move around a lot? What if you are homeless?
Define "move around a lot" - and aren't they required to re-register at their new address? When you do, should you not be purged from the voting rolls at the former location?

Where/how do the homeless vote now? Do they provide any sort of ID, or they just walk up and have same-day registration at the closest polling place? What is in place so they don't register all over the city? Could a homeless person register as "Samuel Smith" at one place and "Sam T. Smith" at another?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies