Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 09:29 AM

828 posts, read 415,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I'm tossed on this one. It is the kids Right to post inflammatory messages on social media aimed at the school but it is also the schools Right to discipline a student for attacking the school.

What bothers me is that a 14 year old girl speaks like this.

"In an act of frustration, on a Saturday, Levy posted a self-deleting photo on Snapchat of her and a friend raising their middle fingers with the caption "f**k school f**k softball f**k cheer f**k everything." In a second message, Levy wrote "Love how me and [another student] get told we need a year of jv before we make varsity but that's doesn't matter to anyone else?"

Okay we get it you are angry but at 14 you are a Sophmore which means you are on the JV team. You have 2 more years of school where you can try out for the Varsity teams. Is she acting like a spoiled brat?

It certainly seems that she has a chip on her shoulder and the school did the only thing they could by disciplining her.

I guess the lesson she learned is that if you make enough of a stink you will get your way?

Has anyone considered that maybe she was not good enough for the Varsity team?
So go back when you where in school. I bet like me. Very common on weekends. With with your friends at home. To say something bad about school.
If the school found out would they even care since it is so common. This would be a parent to child issues only.

Only difference now is kids talk on social media instead of in person. This should still be a parent to child case.

Just like I feel companies should not be able to dictate what their employees say during their time off. Only if being paid for that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2021, 09:29 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I love free speech rulings. The current SCOTUS is doing a decent job, that's why the Dems want to pack it and reverse this positive trend.
It was 8-1. Care to guess the political alignment of the 1?

Old 06-23-2021, 09:35 AM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
It was 8-1. Care to guess the political alignment of the 1?
If I had to guess I would say Thomas because he has in the past sided with schools on free speech issues. But that doesn't change the overall, positive decision trend by SCOTUS since it became majority conservative.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 06-23-2021, 10:03 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
And yet, freedom of speech is not absolute.
Yes let's celebrate the use of vulgarity. Hate speech and most other mediums to inflame society. Keep supporting this all you wish. When you are the person being shouted at , taunted by such language while trying to bury your loved one. Spewing such language at a trial will get you tossed out. I can imagine telling a supreme court judge to f himself every few minutes. Yes as double standard as this ruling is, no lawyer is going to stand in a court yelling inflammatory words and not be reprimanded. Order in the court? Sound familiar. ?

Old 06-23-2021, 10:08 AM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Yes let's celebrate the use of vulgarity. Hate speech and most other mediums to inflame society. Keep supporting this all you wish. When you are the person being shouted at , taunted by such language while trying to bury your loved one. Spewing such language at a trial will get you tossed out. I can imagine telling a supreme court judge to f himself every few minutes. Yes as double standard as this ruling is, no lawyer is going to stand in a court yelling inflammatory words and not be reprimanded. Order in the court? Sound familiar. ?
The only valid restriction on speech is time, place, and manner. That would apply to a court room. Though I think even TPM should be very rarely enforced. Personally, I think overuse of vulgarity has no class or nobility. A well-placed four-letter word when used judicially can create an exacting message. But being vulgar out of habit is just trashy. However, people have the right to use trash language on social media and a public entity shouldn't punish them for it.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 06-23-2021, 10:19 AM

5,632 posts, read 1,767,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
I feel like schools are damn if they do damn if they don't in these situations because Parents have dropped the ball. The solution would be to just inform the parent of the situation and the parent would take care of the rest. Unfortunately parents have dropped the ball for a few decades and schools are now attempting to fill the void which is impossible honestly. Parents even agree with these extra steps on many occasions until its their child that gets caught.

I have seen parents of all races and socioeconomic status in both Public and Private school berating teachers and principles for discipling their children for any behavior. Kid cuss the teacher out, must have been the teachers fault per these parents. Kid steals something and is caught with the item, per the parent its the schools fault. Kid not doing their assignments on time, the school screwed up per the parents.

People love blaming government for how schools operate but in reality it is more 50% Government BS and 50% horrible parenting that has culturally infected all of American society with a lack of respect for teachers or schools themselves. I hear people say they hate teachers because they hate government, that is like saying you hate Military troops for the decisions made by politicians starting wars. The two are separate issues.
Solution. Cameras in the classroom. Then parents can be shown exactly what happened.

It's like when thugs claim they never did anything wrong and police attacked them for no reason other than the color of their skin. Then we watch the video to find out the thugs did not follow simple instructions, spit on the cops, resisted the cops, attacks the cops, tried to run the cops over.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And yet the lone dissent was from a conservative justice.
I will take 8 out of 9.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Sticks and stones make break my bones, but words will never hurt me.

Why are lefties so hurt by words? Toughen up already.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:24 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And yet the lone dissent was from a conservative justice.
If it was Roberts, he is NOT conservative. He has been compromised and/or bought. Most likely they have something on him. That's why Progressive Globalist Bush appointed him. He can be run.

Old 06-23-2021, 11:00 AM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
I'm a little surprised, but not shocked that it was Thomas as the anti-constitutional holdout. I expected the holdout to be from the main liberal bloc of Roberts, Kagan, Sotomayor. But Thomas has consistently pushed his anti-constitutional opinions in most subjects except the second amendment. He's been against privacy, for unreasonable searches, and as this case shows, against free speech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies