Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is a better country for Conservatives?
U.S. 40 80.00%
U.K. 10 20.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 09:11 AM

4,296 posts, read 1,554,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
"Come on, man", of course the US. You have no rights in the UK, there is no constitution you are at the whim of the King of England (which is effectively now the Prime Minister and the ruling party)
Technically there's an unwritten constitution - honestly one of the stupidest things about the UK. Though there is a bill of rights from 1689.

And you are at the whim of the US president and ruling party here, it's remarkably similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2021, 09:15 AM

2,709 posts, read 1,039,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Does it follow that you think UK citizens are property of the government? Do you think they have no right to life, liberty and property??

It's odd that so many Americans seem to think these things are protected only in America.
Their rights are bestowed by the benevolence of their government, as that government sees fit. That makes them government property.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan10 View Post
Their rights are bestowed by the benevolence of their government, as that government sees fit. That makes them government property.
It says right on the British passport that I'm a subject.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Technically there's an unwritten constitution - honestly one of the stupidest things about the UK. Though there is a bill of rights from 1689.

And you are at the whim of the US president and ruling party here, it's remarkably similar.
Our elected representatives take an oath to uphold the US Constitution, which protects our Natural Rights to life, liberty and property. It's the right of the people to rise up to enforce freedom from tyranny. It's starting to happen at school Board meetings and local government meetings.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Our elected representatives take an oath to uphold the US Constitution, which protects our Natural Rights to life, liberty and property. It's the right of the people to rise up to enforce freedom from tyranny. It's starting to happen at school Board meetings and local government meetings.
You don't think British MP's take similar oaths?

Look, for the record, I think the US is a better place for conservatives, though struggling to find very many actual conservatives right now, but I think this US exceptionalism in thinking no where else has the same freedoms or rights is really odd.

Having lived in both places, I'd say my life basically remained the same, unimpeded by infringements to my freedom or liberty.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
You don't think British MP's take similar oaths?

Look, for the record, I think the US is a better place for conservatives, though struggling to find very many actual conservatives right now, but I think this US exceptionalism in thinking no where else has the same freedoms or rights is really odd.

Having lived in both places, I'd say my life basically remained the same, unimpeded by infringements to my freedom or liberty.
Our government gets LIMITED authority from the people.

Rights in the UK are bestowed by the benevolence of their government, as it sees fit. They are property of state, maybe well tended property, but still property.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Our government gets LIMITED authority from the people.

Rights in the UK are bestowed by the benevolence of their government, as it sees fit. They are property of state, maybe well tended property, but still property.
But how does that affect anyone in reality?

If the US enforces the draft, guess what, at that point you're property of the government again, being shipped out to wherever they want you go, to have the opportunity to have your brains blown out for Uncle Sam.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:50 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
I find Germans to be patriotic but they certainly eschew Nationalism.
You said it better than I did. Correct.

And I have no idea why anyone wants the German people to override their caution about their own nature. LMAO...it’s like telling a perpetual drunk who refuses to get a driver’s license to get one anyway and buy the fastest car he can find. Utterly mindless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The only example of rioting by Republicans that you have, is January 6th, that's is. And every conservative Republican has denounced them. So even that act of violence was not anything that "conservatives" approved of. So those people are no reflection on "conservatives."

The only protesting by Republicans in the past few decades was the TEA Party protests, and those people were not responsible for any violence.

The anti-lockdown protests by Republicans last year were also peaceful.

You people will ignore the violent protests by the Democrats and the left in the 60s against the Vietnam war, ignore the bombings by Weather Underground, ignore the dozens of violent and destructive riots from Occupy Wall Street, Black Lives Matter and antifa. All you do is focus on one single day, Jan 6th; which has not been repeated by the way. One act of violence by republicans in decades is all you have, and with that, you damn 70 million people. Typical.

People like you represent the worst type of bigots, you'll see one person doing something wrong and damn an entire group of people for it.
January 6th happened, and it was a LONG TIME in the making. Let’s not pretend that it was a flare up or some aberration.

You can talk about all the riots you want, but there’s no point. Rioting is as American as apple pie. We’ve had violent riots since our establishment.

But an insurrection to overturn the results of an election? That’s a stand alone event. And it falls SQUARELY on the shoulders of American Conservatism. There’s no attenuating that fact. You guys are taking that L whether you like it or not.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:19 AM

946 posts, read 564,763 times
Is this a trick question?

U.S everyday and twice on Sunday.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:25 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,188 times
Most of the things that Conservatives are trying to prevent in the USA already happened decades ago in the UK. The Torry/Conservative Party of the UK has more in common with Democrats in the USA than they do Republicans. The political Left of the UK is more like the Alt Left in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies