Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 10:18 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,909,227 times

Advertisements

Condo balcony collapses in Florida Panhandle - 2017

Quote:
A second-floor, wood balcony of a condo association in the Florida panhandle collapsed in February, thankfully causing only injuries, not fatalities.

But 11 people harmed is nothing to dismiss, even if it didn't happen in your community. It's still smart to understand how condo associations can get to this point and what to do to prevent it from happening in your association.
https://www.hoaleader.com/public/Flo...ou-Need-Do.cfm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 10:39 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,783,141 times
I am sure this was inspected and recommendations for repairs given. Now at that point who is responsible for executing the repairs.

Old 06-26-2021, 10:52 PM

3,678 posts, read 1,638,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Absurd. You have no basis for this breathless dramatic conclusion. Reinforced concrete structures can suffer deterioration to many elements that have nothing to do with basic structural integrity. The fact that an engineering report made no mention of a safety issue lends me to think 3:1 this issue had nothing to do with the collapse. That you weighed in with your expertise ups my weighting to 10:1 against.
I wonder if they were negligent and should have issued a safety warning? Usually it's the city/county that declares buildings unsafe, right? An inspection simply reports what they find.

But if WATER is seeping into foundation spaces, I think it should always be called a safety emergency and I'd have the building evacuated until a full safety inspection was done, and repairs.

Old 06-27-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I am sure this was inspected and recommendations for repairs given. Now at that point who is responsible for executing the repairs.
Good question.

With Condominiums there seems to be a gray area between condo owners or the "HOA" regarding who is responsible for making sure costly structural repairs are done.

I suspect, as a result, we are seeing structural failures of condominium buildings because timely repairs of condos have been neglected (see my previous posts regarding failed condo structures in other areas of our country).

Perhaps, due to this lack of firm accountability or a conflict of interest (condo owner is also on HOA board thus will realize a personal cost for needed repairs), the condominium concept may need to be reexamined.

Old 06-27-2021, 09:09 AM

5,657 posts, read 6,262,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
The association should have insurance for the building, the premium of which is part of the association fees. Who will be responsible for the deductible? Likely a special assessment against the homeowners. However, that presupposes rebuilding. It may make more sense to seel the land to someone else for redevelopment.

Old 06-27-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
The association should have insurance for the building, the premium of which is part of the association fees. Who will be responsible for the deductible? Likely a special assessment against the homeowners. However, that presupposes rebuilding. It may make more sense to seel the land to someone else for redevelopment.
There is an insurance policy that covers a building's general maintenance/repair fees?

Old 06-27-2021, 09:31 AM

5,657 posts, read 6,262,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
There is an insurance policy that covers a building's general maintenance/repair fees?
Doubtful - if that was the question I misunderstood it. I thought the question was about repairing/rebuilding now after the collapse.

No, the expenses of general repair and maintenance would come out of association fees. Depending on their finances and condomium association bylaws the cost could come out of existing condo funds or a special assessment could be levied on the residents if it was a big project. I suppose a third option would be a loan but I don't know how realistic or common that is for an association (or a bank) to pursue.

Old 06-27-2021, 09:34 AM

24,917 posts, read 9,663,621 times
The lawsuits from this will be astronomical.

Old 06-27-2021, 09:34 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,400,407 times
Quote:
Seems the owners of this condominium may have caused the [loss of the (sic)] lives of many!
Except for overlooking the fact that many of those "owners" were, in some part. the tenants themselves, and from what little we've seen so far -- disproportionately elderly, price-conscious, and often relocated from states where greater governmental oversight, and the higher taxes to support it are the rule.

Quote:
As condo buildings become older and perhaps require major structural repairs, I am beginning to doubt that the HOA/condo concept is working well enough to make these repairs on a timely basis.
And for once, the OP and I are in agreement.

Old 06-27-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Doubtful - if that was the question I misunderstood it. I thought the question was about repairing/rebuilding now after the collapse.

No, the expenses of general repair and maintenance would come out of association fees. Depending on their finances and condomium association bylaws the cost could come out of existing condo funds or a special assessment could be levied on the residents if it was a big project. I suppose a third option would be a loan but I don't know how realistic or common that is for an association (or a bank) to pursue.
As condo buildings become older and perhaps require major structural repairs, I am beginning to doubt that the HOA/condo concept is working well enough to make these repairs on a timely basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies