Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 04:24 AM

29,609 posts, read 16,592,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Everyone who was on this forum in 2015 should not have any trouble recalling how those two subjects the OP brought up were hotly discussed in this very forum.
The Conservatives in this forum "dont remember" reading what was posted in this forum 2 days ago . How do you expect them to remember 6/7 years ago ?

Old 06-30-2021, 04:36 AM

20,130 posts, read 16,192,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Go back further. Put some of the blame on the underlying and overwhelming acceptance of Dr. Spock.

"Since 1946, parenting approaches that foster narcissism and contempt for authority have become the accepted norm in higher education and subsequently, in society. It is a simple matter to trace the dominant hedonism of our culture back to Spock's influence."
https://www.wnd.com/2009/01/87179/
Yes, this.

Also, not helping, on November 11, 1942, Congress approves lowering the draft age to 18, which led to the 26th Amendment, lowering the voting age to 18.

And, the icing on the cake - 24 hour news channels and the ultimate divisive tool - Social Media.

The two things listed in the OP are just two of the results of the above. It has now essentially become a national policy to support the egoistic pursuit of short-term gratification of individuals without regard for the long term consequences either to those individuals or the community as a whole. This conflict is all about choosing who gets to be the selected individuals whose “rights” get supremacy, whereas in the past the answer had always been “Whatever is in the best interest of the collective good or maintaining or supporting the nation”.

Old 06-30-2021, 04:37 AM

20,130 posts, read 16,192,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The Conservatives in this forum "dont remember" reading what was posted in this forum 2 days ago . How do you expect them to remember 6/7 years ago ?
Nor do the liberals.

Old 06-30-2021, 04:58 AM

1,605 posts, read 872,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
1. Bruce Jenner's transition to Caitlyn Jenner and her appearance on the cover of Vanity Fair Magazine in June 2015. Trans issues weren't talked about much before that.

2. The legalization of same-sex marriage in all 50 states in June 2015 and Obama celebrating by lighting up the White House rainbow.

This changed the dynamic of the relationship between the left and the right in this country. It was at that point, the right adopted a "win at all costs" approach to politics and also began to refuse to work with Democrats on anything, even things that would have been bipartisan in previous eras. Donald Trump was the man for the moment. The left on the other hand underestimated how deeply held the beliefs are on the issues of marriage and gender among evangelical Christians and how far they are willing to go to protect those values. Most of them still don't get it. I was once and evangelical Christian so I've been on the other side of this debate. There was a time when I saw a rainbow A&E logo and thought it was a sign God was soon about to bring judgment and destruction on America.

To be honest, at this point I'm getting pretty terrified of civil war. Something has to give.

Those are just...odd choices. I'd say that the media vilifying GW Bush as being the equivalent of Adolf Hitler and then refusing to look into the background of Barack Obama in any meaningful way was much more indicative of our coming downfall. Barack Obama associated with legitimate, bomb planting domestic terrorists and the media just acted like it was no big deal. There was plenty of weirdness in his background that should have been disqualifying but suddenly wasn't, and I think he was born in Hawaii, just for the record.

Go further back, and I peg the downfall of this country all the way back to 1913 with the 17th amendment allowing the popular election of Senators. The Senate was meant to represent the individual state legislatures in the Federal government and therefore were appointed by those legislatures. Individuals did have a say, in the votes they cast for state level representation. It was one of the more elegant solutions the founding fathers gave us and we cast it away.

Old 06-30-2021, 05:02 AM

57,390 posts, read 26,302,134 times
Quote:
1. Bruce Jenner's transition to Caitlyn Jenner and her appearance on the cover of Vanity Fair Magazine in June 2015. Trans issues weren't talked about much before that.

2. The legalization of same-sex marriage in all 50 states in June 2015 and Obama celebrating by lighting up the White House rainbow.

This changed the dynamic of the relationship between the left and the right in this country. It was at that point, the right adopted a "win at all costs" approach to politics and also began to refuse to work with Democrats on anything, even things that would have been bipartisan in previous eras. Donald Trump was the man for the moment. The left on the other hand underestimated how deeply held the beliefs are on the issues of marriage and gender among evangelical Christians and how far they are willing to go to protect those values. Most of them still don't get it. I was once and evangelical Christian so I've been on the other side of this debate. There was a time when I saw a rainbow A&E logo and thought it was a sign God was soon about to bring judgment and destruction on America.

To be honest, at this point I'm getting pretty terrified of civil war. Something has to give.
Sure that was the key, it wasn't passing over Obama's supreme court pick in 2016 it was Caitlyn Jenner on a magazine cover.

Old 06-30-2021, 05:05 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,995,903 times
Quote:

It was Obama who ignited class warfare in this country. Biden is continuing the process.

Old 07-03-2021, 08:46 AM

35,169 posts, read 17,102,781 times
Quote:

This post at least is balanced. That being said, I think it is important to take violence, and refusing to work with others, out of the vocabulary. The left has now adopted a "win at any cost." Only Senators Manchin and Sinema are in the way. Can this hold through January 2023?

Old 07-03-2021, 08:57 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,941,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Everyone who was on this forum in 2015 should not have any trouble recalling how those two subjects the OP brought up were hotly discussed in this very forum.
True. The issue though is that I think the issue goes back to Obamacare. Lots of conservatives think they broke rules to pass it with Sen. Kennedy's death during the process.

Old 07-03-2021, 08:59 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,941,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
This post at least is balanced. That being said, I think it is important to take violence, and refusing to work with others, out of the vocabulary. The left has now adopted a "win at any cost." Only Senators Manchin and Sinema are in the way. Can this hold through January 2023?
I hope Sinema doesn't. She posted an op-ed about not being for the filibuster that honestly is the way individual states are going about voter rights. Then again after her January 6th vote no-show, I could never vote that witch back to Washington.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:01 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,554,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
I honestly don’t really remember, nor care about either of those things.

Nor are they filed in places of prominence in my memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies