Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 06:49 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,005,221 times

Advertisements

House Votes to Purge ALL Confederate Statues From the Capitol

Quote:
The bill would direct congressional officials to remove statues of Confederate leaders from public view in the Capitol, the latest bid to do away with prominent symbols of racism.
So the Party that was responsible for Slavery is now trying to erase it's own history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2021, 06:55 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
How stupid. The Civil war was just as important to our History as the Revolutionary war was. The difference being that America fought itself for the future.

Why can't these people see these statues for what they are? They are not symbols of racism or oppression but symbols of how far we have all come since those dark days.

History is History and it is dumb to ignore it and worse to try and rewrite it.

I would think that Black people would feel a boost of extreme pride when seeing one of these statues because they can stand before it and know that they are standing on the shoulders of their ancestors and they have won.

Old 06-30-2021, 06:57 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
Good, traitors to the USA have no place in that public hall of honor. And the vote was bipartisan.

Also, this is not erasing any history, merely changing the way in which we regard it.

Old 06-30-2021, 06:59 AM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times
This reminds me of years ago and I saw an NAACP timeline of great moments.

Had individuals listed like "John Doe (D)", "Big Mac (D)", "Steve Doe".

So I was like, hmmm....who was Steve Doe? Oh yeah (R), they stripped it off all the (R)'s.

Hiding history is shameful and right down there with book burning IMO.

They should put up a plaque to further explain the statue and make it a teaching moment, a reminder.

Old 06-30-2021, 07:00 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
How stupid. The Civil war was just as important to our History as the Revolutionary war was. The difference being that America fought itself for the future.

Why can't these people see these statues for what they are? They are not symbols of racism or oppression but symbols of how far we have all come since those dark days.

I would think that Black people would feel a boost of extreme pride when seeing one of these statues because they can stand before it and know that they are standing on the shoulders of their ancestors and they have won.
This is not at all ignoring history. It is in fact evidence of us being deeply reflective and conscious of our history.

Old 06-30-2021, 07:01 AM

10,771 posts, read 4,351,834 times
The ultimate insurrection.

Old 06-30-2021, 07:03 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
House Votes to Purge ALL Confederate Statues From the Capitol

So the Party that was responsible for Slavery is now trying to erase it's own history.
Well, of course.

Old 06-30-2021, 07:05 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Also, this is not erasing any history, merely changing the way in which we regard it.
Right. If one proposed to put up a statue of Osama bin Laden at the 9/11 site in NY for history's sake, the same people not wanting to "erase history" heads would explode.

Last edited by bcattwood; 06-30-2021 at 07:18 AM..

Old 06-30-2021, 07:06 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,521,830 times
Good, get rid of them. They should be in a museum if anything.

Old 06-30-2021, 07:08 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,656,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

How about asking Black people how they feel?

I don’t feel any pride seeing those statues. I see a blatant attempt to honor the losers.

I think statues like these belong in museums. Who the hell celebrates the losers of a civil war? That is just weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies