Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 04:52 AM

23,821 posts, read 24,222,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Gun violence is not just an urban problem.

Why don’t conservatives want to talk about the skyrocketing rate of gun suicide in rural America?
Because suicide is a separate issue, that's why.

It's pretty disingenuous to attempt to include suicides in discussion of guns. Yes, people use guns to commit suicide - one of my best friends did exactly that when we were in our early 20s. The problem isn't the gun. It's the person holding it, as is every incident of "gun" violence.

Violence is violence. Blaming the gun does two things. It lends support to the idea of stripping those guns from us, which is the entire point, and it also leaves those who actually need help out in the cold. By promulgating the notion that "guns" are the problem, you're intentionally advocating for more unnecessary, unconstitutional gun control, and failing to identify the reasons why the triggers are being pulled. And if you don't do that, then you're wasting your time and energy, and people will still die.

Want to help those people in rural America who are killing themselves? Drop the gun issue completely, and focus on mental health. To someone looking at committing suicide, the gun is just a means to an end. A tool. It's a good tool for the job, but not the only one.

Do you care about the guns, or do you care about the people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 08:54 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,814,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

It's pretty disingenuous to attempt to include suicides in discussion of guns. Yes, people use guns to commit suicide - one of my best friends did exactly that when we were in our early 20s. The problem isn't the gun. It's the person holding it, as is every incident of "gun" violence.

Violence is violence. Blaming the gun does two things. It lends support to the idea of stripping those guns from us, which is the entire point, and it also leaves those who actually need help out in the cold. By promulgating the notion that "guns" are the problem, you're intentionally advocating for more unnecessary, unconstitutional gun control, and failing to identify the reasons why the triggers are being pulled. And if you don't do that, then you're wasting your time and energy, and people will still die.

Want to help those people in rural America who are killing themselves? Drop the gun issue completely, and focus on mental health. To someone looking at committing suicide, the gun is just a means to an end. A tool. It's a good tool for the job, but not the only one.

I don’t think new gun control laws would solve the problem. I literally never said anything of the things you are accusing me of.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:00 AM

12,715 posts, read 7,874,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
According to the 'Gun Violence Archive'

2018 total mass shootings: 336
2021 mass shootings as of 05July2021: 337

More mass shootings this year than in all of 2018, and we're barely over halfway done with the year.

"Mass shooting" being defined as an incident with four or more shot, not including the shooter.

America is turning into a temperate climate South Africa/Brazil/Honduras hybrid more and more everyday.
Most people in this country have accepted that mass shootings are an acceptable side effect of an absolute right to bear arms. More or less, this is just something we are going to heave to deal with.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:05 AM

28,336 posts, read 16,484,253 times
What about 2019? What about 2017? 2020 is too much of an outlier to pay attention to.

Cherry picking a specific year isn't terribly compelling.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:11 AM

7,535 posts, read 4,411,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

When I was in high school a 16 year old girl that we all knew committed suicide by starting her mothers car and sitting in it within their closed garage. The whole town was shocked and saddened by her death. But no one blamed the car.

The only thing that Liberals are interested in is stripping us of our 2nd Amendment rights and they will use any means necessary to try and accomplish it. So far it has not worked, and we cannot let them succeed. It's not about saving lives it's all about absolute power and control over the masses. The 2nd Amendment and Constitutional law are their major obstacles and must be eliminated in order for them to succeed. They're not fooling anyone.

Quote:
"There are only a few laws in history that are universally applicable. One of these is that the ruling classes do not want the peasantry armed. They will do what they can to convince you that to be armed is dangerous. They will attempt to do this while they themselves are surrounded by armed body guards. Idiots will not notice this hypocrisy and sycophants will ignore it. Fools will surrender their arms in the name of "safety". They will insensibly surrender their liberty at the same time. This is how slaves are made."

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 07-06-2021 at 09:19 AM..

Old 07-06-2021, 09:12 AM

15,375 posts, read 12,717,276 times
thanks Biden..

none of this would’ve happened if you didn’t win!

Old 07-06-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
You are still gas lighting us.

South Africa has a similar suicide rate to the US, in fact theirs is slightly higher than the US's.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...y_suicide_rate

South Africa also has violence concentrated in urban areas.

https://books.openedition.org/ifra/785?lang=en

The US has violence concentrated in urban areas, period. There is a difference between suicide and murders when speaking of violence.

Is it possible for you to not gas light us in this thread?
I agree, for the most part, gun violence is concentrated in urban areas.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:54 AM

18,010 posts, read 15,715,423 times
Quote:
Gun violence is not just an urban problem.

Why don’t conservatives want to talk about the skyrocketing rate of gun suicide in rural America?
Could you tell me where you found this? Truly this is the first I've heard of it and now I'm curious. "Skyrocketing gun suicide in rural America?" Well, if someone in a rural area want to off themselves death by firearm would make sense. And this is caused by the mere presence of firearms? The evil sorcerer gun whispers in the ears of the vulnerable victims saying "put me in your mouth and pull my trigger" then?

Suicide rates are not in direct proportion to the number of firearms in any particular area. If a gun isn't available diving into a bridge abutment at 100+ mph , swallowing a whole bottle of pills etc is just as effective. Isn't the opioid epidemic rampant in rural America at far higher rate than firearms as related to suicide? For women I think the suicide solution would be with use of such means. Women don't often shoot themselves in suicide cases.

That's a man thing. Women eat a months worth of narcotics all at once or maybe hang themselves or slit their wrists. Men eat their guns. Suicide is not a factor in violent crime where a firearm is involved. Now, I'm actually not a hard line conservative but I do lean more right than left so...what is it you would like to see discussed here? Your premise should read "why don't conservatives want to talk about the skyrocketing suicide rate in rural America"? "Gun" has nothing to do with it. And since it seems you haven't spent much time in postulation and ponderance as to why rural Americans are turning to suicide I can offer some insight.

Many rural areas are VERY economically depressed. This is highly true in Appalachia the deep south and also here in the West as well in some areas. Things get to looking as bleak as they do and people just figure checking out is better than what they have or don't have any prospects of ever having. Been there myself. I never considered suicide but I know how powerful that depression is. I was out of work due to illness, my ex had gutted and strung me up in a divorce, I had no place to go and was in no hurry to get there and I couldn't afford the place I was living anymore. No I didn't look at suicide but I did consider another option. That I even entertained that thought scared me. That was a decade ago now.

I figured it all out. I'm not exactly Mr. moneybags but I got through it all and things are pretty good now. But a lot of rural people don't look as far forward as I did. Lots of men in the same situation I was in. And they just end it. Some take their gold digging money grubbing exes with them. Drugs and alcohol don't help. Kicking what I'm laying down yet? I'm more conservative than not and I'm totally willing to discuss the issue your bringing up. Should I start a separate thread? Cuz this rabbit hole goes a LONG way down.

Old 07-06-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Could you tell me where you found this? Truly this is the first I've heard of it and now I'm curious. "Skyrocketing gun suicide in rural America?" Well, if someone in a rural area want to off themselves death by firearm would make sense. And this is caused by the mere presence of firearms? The evil sorcerer gun whispers in the ears of the vulnerable victims saying "put me in your mouth and pull my trigger" then?

Suicide rates are not in direct proportion to the number of firearms in any particular area. If a gun isn't available diving into a bridge abutment at 100+ mph , swallowing a whole bottle of pills etc is just as effective. Isn't the opioid epidemic rampant in rural America at far higher rate than firearms as related to suicide? For women I think the suicide solution would be with use of such means. Women don't often shoot themselves in suicide cases.

That's a man thing. Women eat a months worth of narcotics all at once or maybe hang themselves or slit their wrists. Men eat their guns. Suicide is not a factor in violent crime where a firearm is involved. Now, I'm actually not a hard line conservative but I do lean more right than left so...what is it you would like to see discussed here? Your premise should read "why don't conservatives want to talk about the skyrocketing suicide rate in rural America"? "Gun" has nothing to do with it. And since it seems you haven't spent much time in postulation and ponderance as to why rural Americans are turning to suicide I can offer some insight.

Many rural areas are VERY economically depressed. This is highly true in Appalachia the deep south and also here in the West as well in some areas. Things get to looking as bleak as they do and people just figure checking out is better than what they have or don't have any prospects of ever having. Been there myself. I never considered suicide but I know how powerful that depression is. I was out of work due to illness, my ex had gutted and strung me up in a divorce, I had no place to go and was in no hurry to get there and I couldn't afford the place I was living anymore. No I didn't look at suicide but I did consider another option. That I even entertained that thought scared me. That was a decade ago now.

I figured it all out. I'm not exactly Mr. moneybags but I got through it all and things are pretty good now. But a lot of rural people don't look as far forward as I did. Lots of men in the same situation I was in. And they just end it. Some take their gold digging money grubbing exes with them. Drugs and alcohol don't help. Kicking what I'm laying down yet? I'm more conservative than not and I'm totally willing to discuss the issue your bringing up. Should I start a separate thread? Cuz this rabbit hole goes a LONG way down.
I’m mainly responding to the second post in the thread that claimed the US isn’t turning into a “third world country” because the problems were only concentrated in a “few cities.”

My point is that everyone wants to focus on what’s happening in Chicago or Detroit (there are a million threads about it), but nobody wants to address the huge wave in gun suicides and “deaths of despair,” more broadly, in rural America. I get the argument that gun suicide and murder are two different things, but a gun is still involved in both, nonetheless. That doesn’t mean I’m for gun control; I think gun control is pointless. Which is something I’ve changed my mind about in recent years.

All I’m saying is that rural America continues to decline and go undiscussed while we debate Chicago and Detroit.

Old 07-06-2021, 01:11 PM

23,821 posts, read 24,222,516 times
Quote:
I don’t think new gun control laws would solve the problem. I literally never said anything of the things you are accusing me of.
If you can generalize ("Why don't conservatives..."), so can I.

Besides, I addressed your comment. I answered your question and said it was disingenuous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies