Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 07:26 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,780,883 times

Advertisements

Why even worry about whether something is a "stereotype"? Try and find out what is true. We can live in reality and still recognize people as individuals.

Old 07-08-2021, 07:47 PM

10,118 posts, read 10,010,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
If you don't know then you don't know much about anything in the real world.
Sooo...what stereotypes about black people are you referring to?

Old 07-08-2021, 07:56 PM

724 posts, read 405,971 times
They shouldn't, but if I'm being honest, I think the actions of BLM and even inner city black (often times teens) do reinforce negative stereotypes of blacks by dress, speech, hair styles, being loud, etc.

Whites and other groups are as affected by bad incidents of individuals the way blacks are, so it's not fair.

But when I am out in public (during pre-pandemic times), whenever there are people being loud and acting badly out in public (in stores, restaurants, public transportation, public places), the vast majority of times its black people. But that shouldn't automatically reinforce negative stereotypes, but it does.

Although there are some nuances. For example, a well-dressed black person who speaks well and has a clean cut hair style, I don't even think twice about or have any unconcious biases. I don't really even notice them as standing out at all. They just blend in. But if I see a black person dressed a certain way with a certain hairstyle and speaking a certain way, subconsciously, I am a little more aware/guarded in situations. I realize that is probably subconscious racism to think this way. BLM and others probably do reinforce this slightly.

But it is somewhat double-standard and hypocritical because white people get drunk and act like fools too (go to any college campus or certain bars), but it doesn't seem to reinforce negative stereotypes.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sportsfan View Post
They shouldn't, but if I'm being honest, I think the actions of BLM and even inner city black (often times teens) do reinforce negative stereotypes of blacks by dress, speech, hair styles, being loud, etc.

Whites and other groups are as affected by bad incidents of individuals the way blacks are, so it's not fair.

But when I am out in public (during pre-pandemic times), whenever there are people being loud and acting badly out in public (in stores, restaurants, public transportation, public places), the vast majority of times its black people. But that shouldn't automatically reinforce negative stereotypes, but it does.

Although there are some nuances. For example, a well-dressed black person who speaks well and has a clean cut hair style, I don't even think twice about or have any unconcious biases. I don't really even notice them as standing out at all. They just blend in. But if I see a black person dressed a certain way with a certain hairstyle and speaking a certain way, subconsciously, I am a little more aware/guarded in situations. I realize that is probably subconscious racism to think this way. BLM and others probably do reinforce this slightly.

But it is somewhat double-standard and hypocritical because white people get drunk and act like fools too (go to any college campus or certain bars), but it doesn't seem to reinforce negative stereotypes.
What style of dress, what is being spoken, and what hair styles reinforce the stereotypes that the OP refuses to mention?

Old 07-08-2021, 08:32 PM

724 posts, read 405,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
What style of dress, what is being spoken, and what hair styles reinforce the stereotypes that the OP refuses to mention?
From what I see often from "some" blacks out in public is sagging jeans that hang down so the boxers are visible. For hairstyles I often time see dreads (or some variation- not sure what it's refers to), cornrows, or unkempt hair. For speech, it's usually lots of improper/ bad grammar (Ebonics) and sometimes the N word and being loud. Maybe this just stands out more.

Like I said, there are many blacks who I don't even notice because they don't stand out at all (they are professionally dressed, speak well, hair well kept and clean cut). But I do tend to notice more the type that reinforce some of the negative stereotypes I listed above.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifttheveilnow View Post
F--k off dips--t. Find a safe space and color. Alternatively, contribute something useful.
I couldn't care less about your emotional outbursts. Take your own advise and explain what stereotypes you're referring to.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:35 PM

19,107 posts, read 27,710,534 times
There are two types of gene.
One, when uncorked, grants you your wish and disappears into the gene realm.
Second type, when uncorked, is so pissed that, at the best, you are killed instantly, at the worst - slowly tortured.
Your guess, which one was uncorked. Particularly, with entire government and presido being white.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:41 PM

6,478 posts, read 4,094,792 times
BLM types are activists. I also am confused what stereotype, activist BLM members are supposed to represent. Am I supposed to assume that it’s somehow related to a stereotype that black people are radical activists, because your talking politics, and you said someone’s political opinion would reinforce stereotypes. I also honestly have no clue what stereotype you could be talking about. So it must be some right wing stereotype about black people that isn’t just the generic, Black people “eat watermelon, commit crime, swear baggy clothing, have no dads etc.

Maybe it’s supposed to be black people are race sensitive, but while I’ve heard that before I don’t know if that’s ever been portrayed as a stereotype anywhere, so don’t even know if that’s popular enough to be considered a stereotype.

Old 07-08-2021, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sportsfan View Post
From what I see often from "some" blacks out in public is sagging jeans that hang down so the boxers are visible. For hairstyles I often time see dreads (or some variation- not sure what it's refers to), cornrows, or unkempt hair. For speech, it's usually lots of improper/ bad grammar (Ebonics) and sometimes the N word and being loud. Maybe this just stands out more.

Like I said, there are many blacks who I don't even notice because they don't stand out at all (they are professionally dressed, speak well, hair well kept and clean cut). But I do tend to notice more the type that reinforce some of the negative stereotypes I listed above.
I actually agree with most of your post. I abhor males walking around with their @sses out. Dreadlocks is more of an ethnic style, so you'll see any, and everyone wearing them regardless of socioeconomic status. Improper/bad grammar is indefensible, especially while being loud in public, but that stems from something that I choose not to speak about on this forum; again, it is indefensible.

Old 07-08-2021, 09:14 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 24 days ago)

35,735 posts, read 18,082,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
I don't know if it would be permitted here.
I agree that might be the case, although it would be interesting to see your opinion, unedited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies