Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 11:29 AM

2,367 posts, read 909,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
I'd rather see a series of reservoirs and pipelines all over the US, Canada and Mexico. It's always flooding somewhere and in a drought somewhere else. Plenty of fresh water falls from the sky but not always where you need it. Lots of open land where you could store it, in many states. If we can pump petroleum everywhere, why not water? Treat it like a modern day space race and get everyone involved in achieving the goal.
And we can farm fish in the reservoir water!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2021, 01:12 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Not every year is a drought year but we should treat it as if it is so we can maybe replenish the reservoirs and surface streams. Desalination in coastal areas ought to be the primary source of new water and replace some of the older sources. Probably mandatory. Inland desalination of brackish groundwater should be encouraged. Fracking in the western states should be prohobited. Rational limits on development and agriculture ought to be tied to water resources.

Old 07-11-2021, 01:24 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Water poor Israel is a good example.
[] Water reclamation
[] Adapt farming to arid conditions w/ drip irrigation, etc.
[] Adapt crops to endure brackish well water, like cherry tomatoes that tolerate modest salt content
[] Desalination plants (but they have drawbacks - effluent is more saline and may have a bad effect on local ocean ecosystem)
Two other things.....and then maybe one more.

First, as I recall their desalination theories, it is not by flashing but through the use of filters.....and eventually, those filters have to be replaced somehow.

Secondly, there are issues with the native Arab population not seeing the control of water the way Israelis do.......and I think we know were much of the world sees Israel treatment of the native population these days. In short, if we want to use Israel as an example, we might want to appreciate how totalitarian they must be with people.

Finally, back in my marine biology days, I was told of how a leading Israel water engineer came to Texas to discuss the subject. At the end after all the visits, he got up, said, "You people don't have a clue of what you are talking about.....but thank you for the great ten gallon hat.".
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Take out 4 billion peeps and our water probs won't be so bad.
Not too thrilled about that approach to solve the world's problems for that surely will earn me a place in Hell.

Old 07-11-2021, 03:30 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Take out 4 billion peeps and our water probs won't be so bad.
I would prefer to see the global population reduced back to what it was in 1950 when it was around 2.5 billion. That would solve a whole lot more problems than just drought problems. The way things are going these days (environmentally) I wouldn't be surprised if maybe I might still see that reduction happen in my lifetime.

Old 07-11-2021, 03:55 PM

30,436 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I would prefer to see the global population reduced back to what it was in 1950 when it was around 2.5 billion. That would solve a whole lot more problems than just drought problems. The way things are going these days (environmentally) I wouldn't be surprised if maybe I might still see that reduction happen in my lifetime.

Much worse super bugs are to come vs CV19. That will take care of things. A over crowed planet will have more and more bugs to kill off people. Plus heat help breed this kind of thing anyways.

Old 07-12-2021, 03:43 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,033,488 times
Carlsbad has had potable water from the Pacific for several years now. We CA citizens should push for more coastal desalinization plants now!

It will not solve the drought, but having enough clean drinking water for LA, SD, SF and all the smaller coastal cities will be Great! Cost per gallon is now down to less than one cent.

https://www.carlsbaddesal.com/desal-101.html

Last edited by Mahayana; 07-12-2021 at 04:04 PM..

Old 07-12-2021, 04:00 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I remember a long time ago Santa Barbara was looking into building a water desalination plant but it fell through from what I remember it was related to costs.

I heard that the process is pretty expensive, but I don't know much on the technical details that would make it cost prohibitive. It sure seems like we should be looking into it.

Every year it's the same damn thing, drought drought drought. Getting a little annoyed by it. We conserve as much water as we can, we don't even shower everyday if we can get away with it to help save water. We wash clothes as efficiently as we can, if we can reuse a shirt or a pair of pants here and there, we do what we can to lessen how much laundry we do we do, again, within reason. I'm not going out into the world smelly, but we're doing what we can.

Old 07-12-2021, 05:33 PM

30,436 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

Maybe another bat will bring us a much worse super bug.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:07 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I remember a long time ago Santa Barbara was looking into building a water desalination plant but it fell through from what I remember it was related to costs.

I heard that the process is pretty expensive, but I don't know much on the technical details that would make it cost prohibitive. It sure seems like we should be looking into it.

Every year it's the same damn thing, drought drought drought. Getting a little annoyed by it. We conserve as much water as we can, we don't even shower everyday if we can get away with it to help save water. We wash clothes as efficiently as we can, if we can reuse a shirt or a pair of pants here and there, we do what we can to lessen how much laundry we do we do, again, within reason. I'm not going out into the world smelly, but we're doing what we can.

Simple chemistry. How much energy does it take to make water hot? Answer, quite a bit.

https://www.usgs.gov/special-topic/w...center_objects

Okay, what are the ways to desalinate water? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desalination#Technologies

Old 07-13-2021, 11:14 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Well, I think first thing is to admit the demand has outstripped the supply, thus they should reduce the demand first.

After you build billions of dollars worth of desalination plants, then the demand exceeds the capacity, then what? Build more?

I think better to solve the root of the problem, which is the demand for water.

For example, almonds, California grows a lot of them exports a lot of them, almonds is a water intensive product. Lay the law down, no water for any almond getting exported. Water should serve residents first before being used to supply foreign markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies