Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 06:48 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,616,662 times

Advertisements

if the insulted team walks off and the win is given to the insulters there will be no olymipics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2021, 07:13 PM

43,851 posts, read 18,849,832 times
Looks like the Olympics went "woke"....

empty podiums all over for the "winners" only there are no winners because everyone got triggered by something and walked away.

Old 07-18-2021, 07:30 PM

9,399 posts, read 6,523,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I have a completely different take - today's generation is willing to put everything on the line to stand up for their values. The older generation would have just taken the racial insult and live with it. This generation would do something about it. They are anything but soft, if anything, they may be a little too trigger happy - sometimes taking the tiniest slight as a call to action.
That is known as being thin-skinned.

Quote:
Using the WW2 analogy - this generation would not wait 6 years after the start of the Holocaust to do something. They'd have been in Hitler's hair in year 1 and they'd have fought Germany before they ever had the chance to invade Poland.
Sure they would have challenged Hitler earlier. They also would have been pummeled into the ground by Hitler's forces.

Old 07-18-2021, 07:34 PM

9,399 posts, read 6,523,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Looks like the Olympics went "woke"....

empty podiums all over for the "winners" only there are no winners because everyone got triggered by something and walked away.
The Olympics should just be discontinued.

Old 07-18-2021, 10:08 PM

15,153 posts, read 11,680,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
His first name is Jordan. He is not from Jordan.

I'd also call people out and walk out. Racially insulting someone in my presence is disrespectful to me. I'm not going to just quietly take it.
Then they win. They wanted you to walk away...and you did.

Old 07-19-2021, 07:21 AM

24,818 posts, read 17,567,386 times
Quote:
I have a completely different take - today's generation is willing to put everything on the line to stand up for their values. The older generation would have just taken the racial insult and live with it. This generation would do something about it. They are anything but soft, if anything, they may be a little too trigger happy - sometimes taking the tiniest slight as a call to action.

Using the WW2 analogy - this generation would not wait 6 years after the start of the Holocaust to do something. They'd have been in Hitler's hair in year 1 and they'd have fought Germany before they ever had the chance to invade Poland.

I do agree with you that the protest happy younger generation is way too trigger happy. Part of the issue of them becoming so offended so quickly is that they are so easily led by social media. The other part is that they lack the critical perspective of a person that has simply been around longer and lived through some things.

I still think it is a sign of weakness to pick up your things and go home when the going gets tough.

Speaking of Nazi Germany the 1936 Olympics was held there and a young black man named Jesse Owens was winning medals under the Nazi flag, under the very nose of Adolph Hitler. How many barriers did Owens have to overcome to be there? How deep was the racist trash that he had to wade through to make it to that medal podium? Talk about bravery.

I still think that if WW2 happened today the protest kids couldn't hack it and they would fold quickly. They just do not have the stamina for the long suffering that was required to win the war.

When you think about it the kids protest with great fervor when they are spurred to action by even the slightest injustice but then they pack up and go home to have dinner with their parents.

How many times have we seen the "kids" marching for BLM? How many times have we seen them join in the riots, the clashes with cops, the looting, the burning and then they go home to their safe neighborhoods, their safe spaces leaving the smoldering ruins behind them?

I think they talk a good game but when the going gets too tough they go home.

Old 07-19-2021, 07:28 AM

30,319 posts, read 18,870,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
The German soccer team walked off the field in a preperation match after a German player named Jordan Torunarghia was insulted by a Honduran player

https://nypost.com/2021/07/17/olympi...cially-abused/
Having played soccer in high school and college, I can say that the banter between opposing players is ALWAYS offensive. Who were some of the worst in their insults? The Germans. They also rotated yellow cards among their defenders in an attempt to injure the key players on opposing teams.

Our minority players were always treated to racial slurs, but us crackers were not spared.

Old 07-19-2021, 07:28 AM

43,851 posts, read 18,849,832 times
Quote:

They aren't "standing up" for anything. They are taking their toys and running away.

Picture MLK "running away" instead of standing up and facing it head on.
Picture Rosa Parks "running away" instead of staying in her seat and facing it head on.

Old 07-19-2021, 07:31 AM

9,632 posts, read 5,427,967 times
All I care about is Simone!

Old 07-19-2021, 07:36 AM

36,961 posts, read 31,230,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
This was what is termed a 'friendly' match, meaning they play for the entertainment of it; there's no benefit for winning the match. How is racial abuse even remotely appropriate? It's not. They do stop profession football matches now when the fans start racist chants. It is no longer tolerated in that sport.

Homophobic fan chant at Mexico's Gold Cup matches: Here are the steps taken if it happens during a game
What was the racial abuse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies