Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 09:45 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,302,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I’m sure there will be some Taliban sprinkled in with them.
Extremely doubtful, unless some of the people who helped us were actually Taliban. We’re evacuating those likely to be executed for helping us in the war, just as we did after the fall of Saigon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2021, 10:13 AM

2,953 posts, read 994,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
How many are you going to take in and hire?
There's that assumption that they'll be nothing but freeloaders who have to be taken care of. We didn't hire these folks as translators because they were lazy and ignorant. It's not all that common for Afghans to speak English. The ones who do are generally pretty decently educated and most will do fine here. Back in the 80s I had neighbors who were South Vietnamese boat people who had helped the American military and fled to avoid communist retribution. I guess you'd lump them in the same category as these Afghans. The father became an electrical engineer at IBM and the kids were stellar students. Who knows ... they could have very well been better contributors than you.

Old 07-20-2021, 02:05 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,237,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
So you're going to take a couple in and hire them? riiiiight

because Americans aren't suffering? Lets throw them under the bus and waste of resources..
Yep. I’m gonna take in thousands of people. You are too.

Old 07-20-2021, 08:18 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,973,821 times
In Queens NY, am already seeing more and more women covered in head to toe with the black garb, and black veil over their faces. And it is very humid outside

Old 07-21-2021, 08:49 AM

37,952 posts, read 17,888,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
There's that assumption that they'll be nothing but freeloaders who have to be taken care of.
You made this up. What proof do you have of this? It sounds silly.

Quote:
We didn't hire these folks as translators because they were lazy and ignorant. It's not all that common for Afghans to speak English. The ones who do are generally pretty decently educated and most will do fine here
As if there is a need for translators and Americans can't fill that need.

Quote:
Back in the 80s I had neighbors who were South Vietnamese boat people who had helped the American military and fled to avoid communist retribution.
I don't care about your 1 silly data point. I care about Americans.

Quote:
I guess you'd lump them in the same category as these Afghans. The father became an electrical engineer at IBM and the kids were stellar students. Who knows ... they could have very well been better contributors than you.
Instead of making dishonest comments in order to cast me in a bad light, how about you start caring about the truth? Can you do that?

Should we put you down as someone who will be more than happy to offer housing to a couple or is this all just hot air? I'm lumping you in the hot air category.

America should be a shining example of what a country should be like, but we can't take everyone.

I have a better idea. What's your job field? We should hire Afghans who work the same job you do.

Old 07-21-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yep. I’m gonna take in thousands of people. You are too.
Nope. Not me. I practice what I preach. If we didn't have an aggressive foreign policy and if we didn't keep electing nation builders, we wouldn't have to deal with this.

Lower Federal government spending
Audit the Federal Reserve
Bring the troops home

That's Tea Party. That's the big picture with us.

Old 07-21-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Some of us have this weird notion that we can deal with certain things as a country.
By supporting nation building and war? How about we deal with problems Americans face? Can you at least try?

Quote:
There are, at a rough count, 10,000 problems we have to deal with. If you're going to fling "Deal with it personally, or you're a hypocrite" in the teeth of anyone suggesting we do something as a society, you can stop work on any of those problems. And that is - rather transparently, actually - your intent.
It's about helping Americans and not giving lip service and wasting Americas resources on non Americans. But you keep making things up because you don't have a leg to stand on. You going to pay for this or dump it on others like you always do? You love to spend others money on the things you want but act out when others want to do the same thing. It's hypocritical.

Quote:
How many murder cases have you solved? Aren't you just offering lip service if you aren't out following up on clues?
I'm not the one murdering them or ignoring it. Try harder next time.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:02 AM

508 posts, read 460,426 times
Dems want votes, PERIOD. If they can't get it with all the illegals flooding through (don't worry, they'll find a way), then they'll get it with sympathy migrants. If they helped the U.S., great, but that doesn't mean they deserve a free ride in our country.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Any homeless vet can get VA, state, and local assistance right away. They choose not to.

What you want to do, put a gun to their head and force them?
They are homeless because our gutless politicians make these kids go to war over something which has nothing to do with protecting our borders. And when they get home, they don't get the care they need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
They are homeless due to their own choices, I have zero sorrow for them.
What a filthy, disgusting comment. I have zero respect for you

Old 07-21-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
We owe both.
Still waiting for you to take some in and hire them.

Quote:
Can't the world's remaining remaining superpower do more than one thing at a time?
We don't have the constitutional authority to do so. You do remember our founding documents don't you?

Hey I have an idea, lets stop this from happening. We should nation build. What could possibly go wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies