Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2021, 10:51 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,446,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Yes, when I saw that it reminded me of the Patriot Act. Enforcement though, is in the hands of the people, not the State.

Texas, as well as, the other 49 States all have trigger laws, waiting in the wings and imo, depending on how well the law as written works on if Texas makes changes based on the SCOTUS decision. (the old adage, if it works don't fix it)
Lol. Like 50 year old laws reflect the will of current Texas voters. So much for states rights reflecting the will of voters.

Old 12-31-2021, 11:09 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times
I do not expect Mississippi (a/k/a Dobbs) to win just 5-4. My hunch is it will win 6-3 on the direct question directed to SCOTUS in the case.

I do suspect on the Roe aspect of disallowing state standards, that may well be eliminated in a 5-4 vote, which would mean RBG's insistence on staying on the bench may result in tipping the decision. That would not even require a full repudiation of Roe to push this back solely to a state's rights decision. It is conceivable even on this last issue, the vote is 6 for eliminating federal standards on period of time abortion is allowed for.

Old 01-01-2022, 06:28 AM

15,442 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
17? 27? [57? --- that's a joke]
12 have trigger laws, another 9 still have pre-Roe abortion bans on the books https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_law

Old 01-01-2022, 07:19 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
This title of this thread is Mississippi asks SCOTUS to overturn Roe v. Wade; says 1973 decision was "egregiously wrong"

Common sense informs the legal question in Roe v. Wade which dealt with the TX law analyzed would be relevant, & analogous in any rational discussion.

You are all over the place, it does not help your airquote 'arguments'.
You're trying really hard even though you know you're wrong.

The TX law is not at question in Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Org.

And in regards to the TX law... to date, though challenged and requests for injunctions have been filed, SCOTUS has let the TX law stand.

Old 01-01-2022, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Thanks for laying bare the real face of the so called pro life movement.

The staggering lack of empathy underlying that statement is usually seen only in those suffering from narcissistic personality disorders, sociopathy and psychopathy.
You must have a very different definition of empathy than I do. I see saving up to 680,000 lives per year as quite empathetic.

Old 01-01-2022, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You must have a very different definition of empathy than I do. I see saving up to 680,000 lives per year as quite empathetic.
We all know what you said. Women who die from illegal abortions should get Darwin awards.

You aren't saving any lives. Abortion rates in MS ironically are soaring due to the TX scheme masquerading as law.

All you are accomplishing is making life more difficult for women.

Old 01-01-2022, 08:10 AM

Quote:
We all know what you said. Women who die from illegal abortions should get Darwin awards.
Women die from legal abortions, too.

Quote:
You aren't saving any lives. Abortion rates in MS ironically are soaring due to the TX scheme masquerading as law.
Preventing abortion does indeed save lives. I realize you don't like to admit that because you gleefully advocate killing other humans, at will.

Old 01-01-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:

Preventing abortion does indeed save lives. I realize you don't like to admit that because you gleefully advocate killing other humans, at will.
A surgical abortion carries the risk of death just like all surgeries do. Thanks Captain Obvious lol. Nonetheless, it is safer than a full term pregnancy.

More importantly, its a deflection on your part that has nothing to do with your callous statement that a woman lying dead in a pool of her own blood from an illegal abortion deserves a Darwin award.

A statement I might add that is typical of the kind of misogyny displayed frequently by so called pro-lifers. One can only wonder at the degree of self-loathing involved that causes women to hate other women so much.

Finally, you are deluded if you think you are preventing abortions. They are being done by clinics in other states. All you are doing is pushing up second trimester abortions due to delays caused by the TX scheme.

I have no glee over any woman facing an unwanted pregnancy. You are just projecting the way your mind works onto me.

Old 01-01-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:
A surgical abortion carries the risk of death just like all surgeries do. Thanks Captain Obvious lol. Nonetheless, it is safer than a full term pregnancy.

More importantly, its a deflection on your part that has nothing to do with your callous statement that a woman lying dead in a pool of her own blood from an illegal abortion deserves a Darwin award.

A statement I might add that is typical of the kind of misogyny displayed frequently by so called pro-lifers. One can only wonder at the degree of self-loathing involved that causes women to hate other women so much.

Finally, you are deluded if you think you are preventing abortions. They are being done by clinics in other states. All you are doing is pushing up second trimester abortions due to delays caused by the TX scheme.

I have no glee over any woman facing an unwanted pregnancy. You are just projecting the way your mind works onto me.
Here are the facts...

A 2014 policy statement issued by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) stated that the estimate is that before 1973, 1.2 million U.S. women resorted to illegal abortion each year and that unsafe abortions caused as many as 5,000 annual deaths. Got that? As many as 5,000 deaths per year.

Meanwhile, Guttmacher's latest statistics indicate that there are 680,000 completely elective (that is, not due to medical necessity, rape, or incest) abortions each year, resulting in the death of 680,000 unborn children each year. Got that? 680,000 deaths by completely elective killings, per year. Slightly more than half of those killed each year are females, 340,000+, so who's the misogynist now, Blondy?

Just to make sure you understand because you sure don't seem to, 340,000 per year is FAR more deaths than 5,000.

If preserving human life is a priority, as should be, restricting abortion is the clear action to take.

Old 01-01-2022, 09:36 AM

15,442 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:

According to this study(https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22270271/), the mortality rate for legal abortion in the US is 0.6 deaths per 100,000 abortions. The maternal death rate for women who gave birth is 8.8 deaths per 100,000 live births. That means a woman is 14 times more likely to die from giving birth than having an abortion.

I suspect that even though the laws banning abortion usually have an exception for the health of the mother, doctors will be reluctant to perform abortions at all to prevent being second guessed by the legal system and the forced birth zealots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies