Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 08:19 AM

1,119 posts, read 517,338 times

Advertisements

Why on earth did anyone ever wear a mask and why would anyone wear one now with all the info thats finally coming out. Gainesville, FL (June 16, 2021) – A group of parents in Gainesville, FL, concerned about potential harms from masks, submitted six face masks to a lab for analysis. The resulting report found that five masks were contaminated with bacteria, parasites, and fungi, including three with dangerous pathogenic and pneumonia-causing bacteria. No viruses were detected on the masks, although the test is capable of detecting viruses.

The analysis detected the following 11 alarmingly dangerous pathogens on the masks:

• Streptococcus pneumoniae (pneumonia)

• Mycobacterium tuberculosis (tuberculosis)

• Neisseria meningitidis (meningitis, sepsis)

• Acanthamoeba polyphaga (keratitis and granulomatous amebic encephalitis)

• Acinetobacter baumanni (pneumonia, blood stream infections, meningitis, UTIs— resistant to antibiotics)

• Escherichia coli (food poisoning)

• Borrelia burgdorferi (causes Lyme disease)

• Corynebacterium diphtheriae (diphtheria)

• Legionella pneumophila (Legionnaires' disease)

• Staphylococcus pyogenes serotype M3 (severe infections—high morbidity rates)

• Staphylococcus aureus (meningitis, sepsis)

Half of the masks were contaminated with one or more strains of pneumonia-causing bacteria. One-third were contaminated with one or more strains of meningitis-causing bacteria. One-third were contaminated with dangerous, antibiotic-resistant bacterial pathogens. In addition, less dangerous pathogens were identified, including pathogens that can cause fever, ulcers, acne, yeast infections, strep throat, periodontal disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and more.

The face masks studied were new or freshly-laundered before wearing and had been worn for 5 to 8 hours, most during in-person schooling by children aged 6 through 11. One was worn by an adult. A t-shirt worn by one of the children at school and unworn masks were tested as controls. No pathogens were found on the controls. Proteins found on the t-shirt, for example, are not pathogenic to humans and are commonly found in hair, skin, and soil.

A parent who participated in the study, Ms. Amanda Donoho, commented that this small sample points to a need for more research: “We need to know what we are putting on the faces of our children each day. Masks provide a warm, moist environment for bacteria to grow.”

These local parents contracted with the lab because they were concerned about the potential of contaminants on masks that their children were forced to wear all day at school, taking them on and off, setting them on various surfaces, wearing them in the bathroom, etc. This prompted them to send the masks to the University of Florida’s Mass Spectrometry Research and Education Center for analysis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2021, 08:29 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
It isn’t just causing physical damages to kids. As an educator I am far more concerned about the emotional and developmental deficits it is creating. I will tell you from going into multiple classrooms of elementary kids for the last couple of years that those masks just suck the spark right out of the kids, they are interacting in classrooms as if they are semi-gagged. It is not good and will have impact for decades to come.

Old 07-24-2021, 08:35 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,918,690 times
Cases of the diseases you mentioned did not increase last year, though. Masks help prevent the spread of Covid, and did NOT increase the cases of those diseases, regardless of trace amounts of bacteria.

Old 07-24-2021, 08:37 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Sounds like a hygiene problem.
People do know that masks need to be washed if cloth or disposed of if paper after use, right?

Right?

Old 07-24-2021, 08:39 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
and had been worn for 5 to 8 hours, most during in-person schooling by children aged 6 through 11

Nobody should be wearing the same mask fo 5 to 8 hours. Should be changing to a fresh, clean one at least every 2 hours.

Old 07-24-2021, 09:08 AM

3,226 posts, read 1,606,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It isn’t just causing physical damages to kids. As an educator I am far more concerned about the emotional and developmental deficits it is creating. I will tell you from going into multiple classrooms of elementary kids for the last couple of years that those masks just suck the spark right out of the kids, they are interacting in classrooms as if they are semi-gagged. It is not good and will have impact for decades to come.
It is dehumanizing and isolating.

Old 07-24-2021, 09:20 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post

Nobody should be wearing the same mask fo 5 to 8 hours. Should be changing to a fresh, clean one at least every 2 hours.
While I think that wearing the same mask for 8 hours does seem "icky," this is the first time I've heard anyone say masks should be changed every 2 hours. I've never heard that kids should come to school with 4 masks for each day.

Old 07-24-2021, 09:21 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Not all kids mind them at all.

I noticed "out and about" kids seemed quite blase about having one on.
So I asked a few parents.

"My 7yo and 11yo wear the mask even when I tell them they can take it off."

"My 6 year old nephew won't wear shirts or underwear, but he'll wear masks"

"My six-year-old granddaughter is so accustomed to wearing a mask that she forgets to take it off until she's reminded. "

"Our kids have worn masks indoors from kindergarten through 2nd grade now with no issues. They run and play in them with no problems. They forget to take them off unless reminded."

Old 07-24-2021, 09:27 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,797,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I agree. We're trying to figure this out in my family, working with the Office of Disability in my daughter's college. She was 100% virtual last year because she couldn't learn with a mask on. She has multiple learning disabilities. Now, about to enter college she has to wear the mask and they ended the remote option. Learning remotely was difficult for her, but we don't know if learning with the mask will be worse. We're trying to get some leeway, but these mask rules at colleges are firm. If you break them, the consequences are severe. That has made my daughter nervous that one slip up, or pulling the mask down to breathe, will get her expelled.

Everyone wants to make this a simple issue. It isn't simple. There are thousands, maybe millions, of kids with special needs who are having issues learning with masks.

And then people say 'just everyone get vaccinated and this all goes away' except it doesn't. Places like Singapore are having the virus spread in their highly vaccinated country, and are talking about restrictions.

Old 07-24-2021, 09:31 AM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6T1R View Post
Why on earth did anyone ever wear a mask and why would anyone wear one now with all the info thats finally coming out. Gainesville, FL (June 16, 2021) – A group of parents in Gainesville, FL, concerned about potential harms from masks, submitted six face masks to a lab for analysis. The resulting report found that five masks were contaminated with bacteria, parasites, and fungi, including three with dangerous pathogenic and pneumonia-causing bacteria. No viruses were detected on the masks, although the test is capable of detecting viruses.

The analysis detected the following 11 alarmingly dangerous pathogens on the masks:

• Streptococcus pneumoniae (pneumonia)

• Mycobacterium tuberculosis (tuberculosis)

• Neisseria meningitidis (meningitis, sepsis)

• Acanthamoeba polyphaga (keratitis and granulomatous amebic encephalitis)

• Acinetobacter baumanni (pneumonia, blood stream infections, meningitis, UTIs— resistant to antibiotics)

• Escherichia coli (food poisoning)

• Borrelia burgdorferi (causes Lyme disease)

• Corynebacterium diphtheriae (diphtheria)

• Legionella pneumophila (Legionnaires' disease)

• Staphylococcus pyogenes serotype M3 (severe infections—high morbidity rates)

• Staphylococcus aureus (meningitis, sepsis)

Half of the masks were contaminated with one or more strains of pneumonia-causing bacteria. One-third were contaminated with one or more strains of meningitis-causing bacteria. One-third were contaminated with dangerous, antibiotic-resistant bacterial pathogens. In addition, less dangerous pathogens were identified, including pathogens that can cause fever, ulcers, acne, yeast infections, strep throat, periodontal disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and more.

The face masks studied were new or freshly-laundered before wearing and had been worn for 5 to 8 hours, most during in-person schooling by children aged 6 through 11. One was worn by an adult. A t-shirt worn by one of the children at school and unworn masks were tested as controls. No pathogens were found on the controls. Proteins found on the t-shirt, for example, are not pathogenic to humans and are commonly found in hair, skin, and soil.

A parent who participated in the study, Ms. Amanda Donoho, commented that this small sample points to a need for more research: “We need to know what we are putting on the faces of our children each day. Masks provide a warm, moist environment for bacteria to grow.”

These local parents contracted with the lab because they were concerned about the potential of contaminants on masks that their children were forced to wear all day at school, taking them on and off, setting them on various surfaces, wearing them in the bathroom, etc. This prompted them to send the masks to the University of Florida’s Mass Spectrometry Research and Education Center for analysis.
I read about this weeks ago. It will be summarily ignored. This will only become a real issue when it is so obvious that nobody would have the nerve to say it isn't a problem. Wearing these masks is causing real health issues and some of them will not show up for years. In what little time I was forced to wear a mask, I almost immediately had some obvious reactions and they were no doubt something that could cause long-term harm.

The actual statistical analysis prior to covid CLEARLY indicated that wearing CLOTH masks served no purpose as far as viruses are concerned. In fact, some showed it to be counterproductive. But who cares about science, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies