Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 09:25 AM

21,947 posts, read 9,517,840 times

Advertisements

Hmmm....

A hurricane of misinformation on climate change

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...climate-change

..According to the best available projections from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory , climate change is actually expected to decrease the overall number of hurricanes by 25%. Because fewer low-intensity hurricanes will form, the intensity will increase, on average, by 5%, NOAA projects. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change says the same thing: The proportion of Category 4 and 5 hurricanes will increase by 2100, but the number of hurricanes overall will go down...

...None of this means we shouldn’t take the challenges of climate change or stronger storms seriously. But look at New Orleans, devastated by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Over 1,800 people died as a result of that Category 5 hurricane.

But it has been recognized that human error was to blame. The death toll was almost entirely caused by the gross negligence of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in maintaining the region’s system of levees. With the lessons of Katrina learned and the levees properly maintained, Ida produced no major flooding, and only one death has been attributed to the storm....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2021, 09:35 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Why not just post the NOAA article rather than the Washington Times interpretation.

Quote:
2. Global Warming and Atlantic Hurricanes
A. Statistical relationships between SSTs and hurricanes
Observed records of Atlantic hurricane activity show some correlation, on multi-year time-scales, between local tropical Atlantic sea surface temperatures (SSTs) and the Power Dissipation Index (PDI) — see for example Fig. 3 on this EPA Climate Indicators site. PDI is an aggregate measure of Atlantic hurricane activity, combining frequency, intensity, and duration of hurricanes in a single index. Both Atlantic SSTs and PDI have risen sharply since the 1970s, and there is some evidence that PDI levels in recent years are higher than in the previous active Atlantic hurricane era in the 1950s and 60s.

Model-based climate change detection/attribution studies have linked increasing tropical Atlantic SSTs to increasing greenhouse gases, but proposed links between increasing greenhouse gases and hurricane PDI or frequency has been based on statistical correlations. The statistical linkage of Atlantic hurricane PDI to Atlantic SST suggests at least the possibility of a large anthropogenic influence on Atlantic hurricanes. If this statistical relation between tropical Atlantic SSTs and hurricane activity is used to infer future changes in Atlantic hurricane activity, the implications are sobering: the large increases in tropical Atlantic SSTs projected for the late 21st century would imply very substantial increases in hurricane destructive potential–roughly a 300% increase in the PDI by 2100 (Figure 1a).

6. Early GFDL Research on Global Warming and Hurricanes

Figure 11 (click to enlarge)
The strongest hurricanes in the present climate may be upstaged by even more intense hurricanes over the next century as the earth’s climate is warmed by increasing levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. Although we cannot say at present whether more or fewer hurricanes will occur in the future with global warming, the hurricanes that do occur near the end of the 21st century are expected to be stronger and have significantly more intense rainfall than under present day climate conditions. This expectation (Figure 11) is based on an anticipated enhancement of energy available to the storms due to higher tropical sea surface temperatures.
https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/global-war...nd-hurricanes/

Old 09-02-2021, 09:38 AM

10,483 posts, read 7,014,991 times
All this climate change is hysteria were making all the people who wear masks in their cars go crazy.

Old 09-02-2021, 09:55 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
I sure wish we could get the truth for a change.

They have created problems from Climate Change, to the Border Crisis, to the resurrected "Race War", to Covid, to what will surely be the rise of terrorism in the Middle East and abroad.

These are all terrible things and the one thing they have in common is that the Democrats use them to spread fear in their attempt to control. Another thing they all have in common is they are never ending. Climate change will never be ended.

I can't help but think how the Afghanistan mess is a fire started by an arsonist who is now trying to be the hero by putting the fire out.

Create a problem that strikes fear into the average person and then give the appearance that you are trying to fix that problem. It is identity politics 101.

Old 09-02-2021, 10:03 AM

18,463 posts, read 8,292,857 times
well they're right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post

US hurricanes have been decreasing for the past 100 years.....

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GyvCeES3d...87_850x617.png

and so have major hurricanes......

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zSS9h7GPm...f5_851x620.png

Old 09-02-2021, 10:37 AM

6,132 posts, read 3,355,504 times
I think it’s possible that man has created a warmer climate. I can’t say with 100% certainty, though.

But I don’t think that’s the main issue. The main issue is that the left has come up with a hypocritical, and mostly useless, plan to deal with it all.

So I think we should attack their idiotic plan, not the actual idea of whether climate change exists or not.

Old 09-02-2021, 10:52 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,085,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I think it’s possible that man has created a warmer climate. I can’t say with 100% certainty, though.

But I don’t think that’s the main issue. The main issue is that the left has come up with a hypocritical, and mostly useless, plan to deal with it all.

So I think we should attack their idiotic plan, not the actual idea of whether climate change exists or not.

So....what is your plan? Just the broad points; don't need details.

Any "plan" should address the influx of people from the coasts and from Nations which are/will be under water. Where are they going to live?

We should also deal with "heat". How hot is too hot? At 120 F across America, for example, will most be able to survive, or perish?

Energy to address the heat issue is going to come from where?

Water to drink (potable) and food to eat is going to be grown where/how?

Will vegetation and animals be able to survive as we warm? What impact does that have and how will we deal with eat?

Disease...is Covid just the first shot, and will there be more that will be more vicious? As climate changes and natural forces are no longer present to protect us, what/who will step in? Two years on a simple virus like Covid and we have no solution. What if a really nasty bug gets going?

I have worried and acted on my concern(s) for years...decades. But there are not enough people who are concerned, and now we are over the edge.

I hate to be a "nimby" but i'll be dead before it gets unlivable. So i barely concern myself with climate any longer. We blew it and arguing about anything at this point is senseless. Not enough people cared when we had a chance, and the concern at his late stage might delay the inevitable, but not likely turn it around. Too little; too late.

Regardless of the cause.

Take a chill pill all. That the best "plan" at this point.

Old 09-02-2021, 11:01 AM

13,605 posts, read 4,937,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post

By all means, do so. We have all these arm chair scientists claiming that GW is a hoax. I've been saying for some time, let's quit arguing about whether GW is happening, and start discussing what to do about it.

I'm not sure what the "idiotic plan" is - cutting out fossil fuels? I see a lot of advantages to doing that, regardless of impact on climate. But I don't have confidence that we'll be able to reverse GW, so I think we need to figure out how to live with it.

If you have a better plan, let's hear it.

Old 09-02-2021, 11:24 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
By all means, do so. We have all these arm chair scientists claiming that GW is a hoax. I've been saying for some time, let's quit arguing about whether GW is happening, and start discussing what to do about it.

I'm not sure what the "idiotic plan" is - cutting out fossil fuels? I see a lot of advantages to doing that, regardless of impact on climate. But I don't have confidence that we'll be able to reverse GW, so I think we need to figure out how to live with it.

If you have a better plan, let's hear it.
Some of us do have a better plan; Let the marketpalce, and the free exchange of human opinion, determine what needs to be done!

As a parallel: The COVID isue has been devolving into a train wreck from the instant it came to light -- thanks mostly to too much "oversight" and influence-peddling by those seeking to have Big Brother on their side, and those gullible enough to place their trust in Big Brother.

There is an issue here; that's for sure. But it shouldn't be allowed to be "spun" by those whose principal goals are a bigger staff and budget, furnished by the taxpayer.

Old 09-02-2021, 11:45 AM

23,995 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Some of us do have a better plan; Let the marketpalce, and the free exchange of human opinion, determine what needs to be done!

As a parallel: The COVID isue has been devolving into a train wreck from the instant it came to light -- thanks mostly to too much "oversight" and influence-peddling by those seeking to have Big Brother on their side, and those gullible enough to place their trust in Big Brother.

There is an issue here; that's for sure. But it shouldn't be allowed to be "spun" by those whose principal goals are a bigger staff and budget, furnished by the taxpayer.
How about if part of the free exchange of human opinion is spun by those who have the ability and the funding to launched a 30 year PR campaign to convince other humans there is no such thing as climate change. Should there be, petroleum has nothing to do with it.

And then there are those who say this is God's creation. HE will tend to it. Then ***** about the price of groceries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies