Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 04:41 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,767,504 times

Advertisements

even The puppet president admits that it’s unconstitutional what he’s doing to you Landlords. And the left had the gall to call Trump a dictator. Anyways to the landlords out there do you think you’ll be able to pay your property taxes, mortgage, creditors..etc

Biden new eviction freeze, admits likely unconstitutional

https://nypost.com/2021/08/03/biden-...-rates-report/

Last edited by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly; 08-05-2021 at 05:03 AM..

Old 08-05-2021, 05:36 AM

865 posts, read 440,674 times
I will. I am also selling whenever anything becomes vacant. I feel terrible about that because my area has a huge shortage of rental homes/apartments and everything is very highly priced now. But really, when any protections you have under the law are no longer enforced it would be financial suicide to take the risk any longer.

My existing tenants have shown what kind of people they are. I have no desire to take on such risk with new, unknown and unproven tenants in the future. I haven’t suffered any losses caused by non-paying tenants. But I am beyond appalled by this gross government overreach and failure to do their jobs.

Old 08-05-2021, 05:43 AM

7,373 posts, read 3,536,587 times
This is a good opportunity for large companies to start buying up single family homes and just hold on to them for a few years while most people have got out of the landlord business. Then magically laws will become enforceable again and these large companies who are mostly controlled by politically connected people whether on their board of directors or in leadership positions will own a significant stock of housing and then they can charge whatever they want for rent and there will be nothing that the average person can do about it and they will continue to enrich themselves. Don't you love these public/private partnerships?

Also I wouldn't be surprised if there are subsidies for landlords in the future to help diversify neighborhoods.

Old 08-05-2021, 05:55 AM

23,992 posts, read 15,091,790 times
You can't fight governments.

The federal government made funds available for rent payments. The states dole it out, or not.

My state has only used 10% of that money.

Huge investors are buying up all that comes on the market. One person's firm has bought 1/4 of the houses sold in Houston.

Yesterday's Chronicle did a story about a firm spending 15 billion in Texas paying cash for 150000 houses. One of their investors is a State of Texas pension fund.

That whole deal looks incestuous to me.

The landlords are getting as screwed as the taxpayers. And who pays for this kind of help?

Old 08-05-2021, 06:12 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
We will survive it but it has left a very bad taste in my mouth that I may never get over. The government assistance by the way, at least in the two places we have tenants in arrears, expect you to agree to take 60 cents on the dollar. We aren’t doing it. We are working with the one family, they paid something all along, communicated with the property manager when it started being an issue, and have promised to eventually pay it back. They ran into childcare issues because of school closings. I honestly feel bad for them. I can live with slowly getting paid back, we can afford to give them the time, and will waive all late fees as long as they keep trying to do the right thing. The other... grr..... he’s on the curb the minute we are allowed to do it. Between the two so far we are out around 20 grand. Had this occurred earlier in our lives it would have sunk us.

Old 08-05-2021, 07:34 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
even The puppet president admits that it’s unconstitutional what he’s doing to you Landlords. And the left had the gall to call Trump a dictator. Anyways to the landlords out there do you think you’ll be able to pay your property taxes, mortgage, creditors..etc

Biden new eviction freeze, admits likely unconstitutional

https://nypost.com/2021/08/03/biden-...-rates-report/
Professional landlord here. I have a rental business. Yes, the moratorium kinda hurt a little but then I very quickly figured out how to turned a profit from it. Almost doubled my earnings during the pandemic. And no, we never got any assistance from either of the stimulus package.

Cannot speak for other landlords, but the new Biden moratorium will not affect us any. Still glad Joe beat Donny.

Old 08-05-2021, 07:44 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,531,035 times
Luckily, yes.

Old 08-05-2021, 07:45 AM

17,427 posts, read 14,657,652 times
I was caught up in the eviction moratorium last year.

I filed for eviction on non-paying tenant (pre-pandemic) and several days before the court date, the original moratorium came into play and everything got kicked down the road.

I was finally able to get them out October 31 - but that was only by reducing the amount they owed me via a judgement by half. I was actually prepared to pay THEM to gtfo.

That unit was my only real problem during the last year - but it could've been much worse: we sold one of our properties the two years prior that for certain would've had the entire building not pay rent. Those losses taking into account rental loss and property taxes, insurance, and landlord paid utilities would've been north of $150,000. (And I think I'm most likely underestimating and not including typical wear and tear and repairs.)

That's the first time I did that math ^. I'm counting my lucky stars right now.

Old 08-05-2021, 07:48 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I was caught up in the eviction moratorium last year.

I filed for eviction on non-paying tenant (pre-pandemic) and several days before the court date, the original moratorium came into play and everything got kicked down the road.

I was finally able to get them out October 31 - but that was only by reducing the amount they owed me via a judgement by half. I was actually prepared to pay THEM to gtfo.

That unit was my only real problem during the last year - but it could've been much worse: we sold one of our properties the two years prior that for certain would've had the entire building not pay rent. Those losses taking into account rental loss and property taxes, insurance, and landlord paid utilities would've been north of $150,000. (And I think I'm most likely underestimating and not including typical wear and tear and repairs.)

That's the first time I did that math ^. I'm counting my lucky stars right now.
Ouch...... my ~$20K is pretty small potatoes.

Old 08-05-2021, 07:51 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
Big government taking over property you own.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerva...h=da4996514599
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies