Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 10:38 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Black man beats white man and nobody cares? Welcome to the new normal. After all, when they say, "Black Lives Matter" they really mean "Only Black Lives Matter." That was always true. Just ask the family of Tony Timpa or the family of Ashley Babbitt.
Alot of people care. Look at CD. Look at the comment section on FOX News. I think what you want to say is that many White liberals don't care. Plenty of people care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 11:39 AM

13,754 posts, read 8,014,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Prison won't serve as much of a deterrent for upcoming criminals. It will stop current criminals, but the message won't sink in for the upcoming criminals. That is the main issue. Punishing current criminals, that is the easy part. Prevention for future criminals is the hard part.
Standard long term incarceration for violent offenders starting at 18 and not being released until say 55-60 hasn't been tried. However, for the sake of argument let's say you're correct. Say the underclass continues to laugh it off. Doesn't get if arrested for a violent crime it's... bye-bye. Said individual has been removed from society and no longer a threat.

Prevention for future criminals is the hard part.

Right. So let those who want go around and around for another 50 years debating solutions.

In the meantime once an person reaches the age of 18 and commits a violent crime that's it. They're gone.

Old 08-26-2021, 11:43 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,575,726 times
White man beating a Black man senseless isn't news. Anyone who assaults another should go to court.

Old 08-26-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Standard long term incarceration for violent offenders starting at 18 and not being released until say 55-60 hasn't been tried. However, for the sake of argument let's say you're correct. Say the underclass continues to laugh it off. Doesn't get if arrested for a violent crime it's... bye-bye. Said individual has been removed from society and no longer a threat.

Prevention for future criminals is the hard part.

Right. So let those who want go around and around for another 50 years debating solutions.

In the meantime once an person reaches the age of 18 and commits a violent crime that's it. They're gone.
In some states juveniles get sentenced as adults. In Louisiana, if you commit a murder at 14 years old, you're automatically tried as an adult. And Louisiana has the death penalty. In Colorado, 12 is the minimum age of being tried as an adult. In the state of Georgia, any criminal offense committed around age 15 is automatically tried in the adult courts. All capital crimes are sent to the adult courts starting at age 13. In Florida is a big leader in sending violent underage offenders to the adult courts.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories...c23927beb0b9c5

Some more information.
https://www.sentencingproject.org/pu...ithout-parole/
The Deep South allows life without parole for juveniles and has juveniles doing life.
Louisiana*
Mississippi*
Alabama*
Florida
Georgia
South Carolina*
North Carolina

*Ranks in the top 10 for murder

BTW other states that allow life without parole for juveniles, and acts on it include:
Arizona
Idaho
Michigan
Montana
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
Wisconsin

Oklahoma has the highest Black incarceration rate in the USA. It also has one of the highest Black homicide rates in America. If it were its own country, Oklahoma would have the highest incarceration rate in the world.

Locking up violent offenders for a long time will take THOSE offenders off the streets. However, more keep coming. I am talking about PREVENTION. Prevention is what is needed.

Old 08-26-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
White man beating a Black man senseless isn't news. Anyone who assaults another should go to court.
Anyone who gets assaulted, I'm in favor of that person defending themselves. I'm in favor of people being able to carry guns. I agree that any violent criminal needs to be taken to court and locked up. I'm also in favor of regular, law-abiding people defending themselves against an attacker. Maybe if said attacker ends up being seriously injured or killed, perhaps that might send a message of "Hey, you don't go attacking people. Society isn't putting up with it".

Old 08-26-2021, 12:49 PM

13,754 posts, read 8,014,399 times
Quote:
In some states juveniles get sentenced as adults. In Louisiana, if you commit a murder at 14 years old, you're automatically tried as an adult. And Louisiana has the death penalty. In Colorado, 12 is the minimum age of being tried as an adult. In the state of Georgia, any criminal offense committed around age 15 is automatically tried in the adult courts. All capital crimes are sent to the adult courts starting at age 13. In Florida is a big leader in sending violent underage offenders to the adult courts.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories...c23927beb0b9c5

Some more information.
https://www.sentencingproject.org/pu...ithout-parole/
The Deep South allows life without parole for juveniles and has juveniles doing life.
Louisiana*
Mississippi*
Alabama*
Florida
Georgia
South Carolina*
North Carolina

*Ranks in the top 10 for murder

BTW other states that allow life without parole for juveniles, and acts on it include:
Arizona
Idaho
Michigan
Montana
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
Wisconsin

Oklahoma has the highest Black incarceration rate in the USA. It also has one of the highest Black homicide rates in America. If it were its own country, Oklahoma would have the highest incarceration rate in the world.

Locking up violent offenders for a long time will take THOSE offenders off the streets. However, more keep coming. I am talking about PREVENTION. Prevention is what is needed.
I'm recommending removing anyone 18 years or older from society for violent crimes. Hurt another person and you're gone.

As far as prevention: This has been discussed and debated endlessly for decades. And will no doubt continue for another 50 years.

In the meantime we won't see repeat offenders. Again hurt someone and it's bye-bye. You're not getting released. Teens coming of age can either heed the warning or not. I agree most probably won't but over time this could change. Even a slight change is better than nothing.

And nothing is what's we've seen for decades.

Old 08-26-2021, 01:36 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
The first 2.5 minutes of that video, narrated by a 22-year-old, was enough for me.

But where she was going with that sounded like: wishing men were less violent is tantamount to denying them their masculinity. It's the same as wanting them to be more like women.

In that case, what's an appropriate response to this man beating the other guy?

I definitely agree, though, that the problem is NOT that men are too masculine - it's that they're not masculine enough. 100% correct. That part of the video nails it.
It was only a 5 minute video so you could have watched the rest without too much time invested.
Posting that video was in response to another poster.

I am a regular guy who was raised old school, thus I had old school values when I was in HS. That didn't mean I was better than others, but it meant I was raised to be a gentleman, and stand up for women if they were harassed by men.
That viral video of the woman at a gas station running and screaming for help, and hiding under a guys truck pumping gas had me commenting on how I would have handled the situation. I took flack for it with people saying you don't get involved unless you want to get shot.
You can always assume someone has a weapon and decide not to get involved, but that situation was not one I would have allowed to happen with the women potentially being raped or killed once the guy took her away.
It doesn't mean I am too macho, but there is no way that guy drags her out from underneath my truck, throws her over his shoulder and I passively stand by pumping gas.

As to how it relates to this thread, I do not look for trouble, and if two guys are fighting, more power to them, I will not intervene.
However if one is out or defenseless, I am at least going to try to protect him from further injury. If he is attacked and being robbed like in this video, I am not going to just standby and watch it. The races could be reversed, and I would feel the exact same way. I help elderly black ladies just like I would any elderly lady of any stripe.

Far too many boys have been feminized either by the schools, or being raised by single moms that are too protective.
They will grow up to be passive, and certainly not the types to run into a burning building or dive into a canal to save a child or someone helpless. They would rather film it from their phones and post it.
Needless to say such people are pathetic in my view.

`

Old 08-27-2021, 03:46 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
Quote:
If it were its own country, Oklahoma would have the highest incarceration rate in the world.
This would technically be true for about half of American states.

Quote:
What causes crime? Though a better question is, what is society? Why does it exist? Why do you want to share a country with me?

Old 10-08-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I'm recommending removing anyone 18 years or older from society for violent crimes. Hurt another person and you're gone.

As far as prevention: This has been discussed and debated endlessly for decades. And will no doubt continue for another 50 years.

In the meantime we won't see repeat offenders. Again hurt someone and it's bye-bye. You're not getting released. Teens coming of age can either heed the warning or not. I agree most probably won't but over time this could change. Even a slight change is better than nothing.

And nothing is what's we've seen for decades.
This is the way I see it. I'm 35 years old. I'm not getting any younger. I want it stopped NOW because I have to worry about it NOW!! I have my life to live.

Yes, long prison sentences will remove violent adults from society. However, the next crop of violent teenagers coming up, this is why I say we need prevention. PREVENTION. Sometimes the fear of prison isn't going to stop an upcoming criminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies