Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 05:25 AM

2,935 posts, read 5,003,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Come on, history books?

It's not irrational resentment. It's a belief that property rights is an underpinning of our way of life and Sec 8 and the like are infringements on it. You don't even have a basic grasp of our way of life or human nature, yet feel confident to tell others how to run their life... or atleast, you feel confident enough to apply the force of government to ruin people's lives.

I resent that the education system has failed you so bad that you probably think FDR is a great president and know nothing of Locke. It's scary... all I can do is hope that you don't vote yet.
I love when people act like everyone who disagrees with them is uneducated. It's even funnier when two people who disagree with each other on everything BOTH think that, thereby making everyone in the world uneducated. As to property rights, what about the people living in the poorer neighborhoods who're more likely to have THEIR property rights violated by having thieves come in and steal their stuff? Don't these people deserve a chance to come to a place where they can live in safety without such violations of their rights happening? Or do people only have rights to property they live in?

Old 05-15-2008, 06:06 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,067,047 times
People heer are off-base about what section 8 housing is, and is not. Not everybody in section 8 is a welfare queen with a dope dealing boyfriend. Some are just poor and cannot afford rent because they have crappy jobs.

I have no pitty for people that, on the one hand pay so little for their crap at Wally World, at yet, on the other hand, complain when people must use Section 8 housing to survive. People like that are scum.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:35 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,545,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
I have no pitty for people that, on the one hand pay so little for their crap at Wally World, at yet, on the other hand, complain when people must use Section 8 housing to survive. People like that are scum.
Maybe if those people you call "scum" weren't losing a large portion of their paychecks to section 8 and welfare recipients, they wouldn't need to shop at low cost giants like Wally World to make ends meet.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:45 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,502,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
As to property rights, what about the people living in the poorer neighborhoods who're more likely to have THEIR property rights violated by having thieves come in and steal their stuff? Don't these people deserve a chance to come to a place where they can live in safety without such violations of their rights happening? Or do people only have rights to property they live in?
They are more likely these days to be threatened by yuppie-types moving in and planting gardens and repainting and driving property values and taxes up to levels that the established residents simply cannot afford. The forced displacements that result from gentrification are just the mirror image of what has been described by others above, except with the obvious difference that gentrification is actually happening while all of these Section-8 fables are not. You'd have to search C-D for a while to find another topic so densely packed with absolute rubbish...

Old 05-15-2008, 06:50 AM

23 posts, read 94,878 times
Default Section 8

I don't believe in section 8- hard to believe in any government program that only helps certain sections of society-- What really bothers me, is they take ghetto trash and move them into working-class neighborhoods in the suburbs and smaller cities- I live in Murfreesboro, and we have benn inudated with the "memphis plague" ( as well as the "michigan/ohio" plague, but at least they work!)- Its planned government population redistribution, pure and simple

Old 05-15-2008, 07:13 AM

60 posts, read 100,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
(If you do not understand the reference you should not be commenting on the current status of subsidized housing.)
Ain't that the truth. The only people sitting around bellyaching about how welfare is being abused (cough byaverysmallnumberofpeople cough) are the people who are about two paychecks away from welfare themselves. The true middle class and up know that the bulk of taxes aren't going to welfare programs in the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
Section 8 should have restrictions! Here's a list of mine.

a. If any member in your house commits a crime it's (section 8) cut off.

b. You must live clean, there is no excuse to live Poor and Dirty! NONE..

c. 6 year restriction, after that the tenants need to look to rent elsewhere.
Err...your first two are already in effect. Not too sure how it works with section 8, but with public housing, surprise inspections are commonplace. And a section 8 landlord can have a tenant evicted for filth, just like any landlord can. Failure to do (or failure to report any violation of section 8 rules) so can result in serious penalties. So all these people with their "welfare queen had a 50 in TV" stories are just flat out full of it. Very few landlords are going to turn a blind eye to that kind of thing - the penalties are WAY too high.

Additionally, people in section 8 and even public housing pay rent - a reduced rent, but rent nonetheless. The only way around that is if you get a housing voucher, and you may as well go to Willy Wonka and ask for a golden ticket. Again, common "welfare queen" lies to get people all riled up over nothing.

Quote:
Statistically! I do not have any data!
Really? We never would have guessed.

By the way, you have no idea of know what is a section 8 house and what isn't. I come from a family full of Realtors, and there are houses upward in the $400K range that are section 8 homes. Anybody who has a home can apply to be a section 8 landlord. I knew of a lady who rented out a house (my uncle's first home; he owns two) in south Florida for $25 a month, complete with a pool. She raised her four children and sent them to GOOD public schools (as opposed to the horror that is the Miami public school system), while working and going to night school. Once she obtained both her Bachelor's and her Master's degrees, she got off the program and went to work full time. The two-till-welfare people will scream bloody murder, but I find that an excellent use of resources. In fact, my uncle's first home has housed numerous section 8 families over the past 10 years, and you'd never know it because these families are living in your excellent neighborhoods, attending your excellent schools.

Last edited by BHussein4Prez; 05-15-2008 at 07:29 AM..

Old 05-15-2008, 07:24 AM

In their defense, these riled-up people did not invent the lies. They merely heard them and were gullible enough to believe them and pass them on...at times, and as noted, making up fantastic, supposedly eye-witness, accounts in order to bolster the tale...

Old 05-15-2008, 07:26 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,075,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
Maybe if those people you call "scum" weren't losing a large portion of their paychecks to section 8 and welfare recipients, they wouldn't need to shop at low cost giants like Wally World to make ends meet.
What portion of your paycheck do you lose to section 8?

Old 05-15-2008, 07:31 AM

60 posts, read 100,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
In their defense, these riled-up people did not invent the lies. They merely heard them and were gullible enough to believe them and pass them on...at times, and as noted, making up fantastic, supposedly eye-witness, accounts in order to bolster the tale...
See also: "I was going to get the job, but the HR manager told me that they had to hire a minority, therefore breaking the law and opening him/herself up to a GIGANTIC lawsuit," or "I had a perfect GPA and a 4500 SAT score, but I couldn't get into Minimum Standards University because they gave my spot to some guy named Miguel Leroy Jenkins-Hernandez with a 2.1 blah blah blah blah." Let 1 our of ever 5 college students tell the story, affirmative action kept them out of the college of their choice. (Did you read about this? Kid graduates in the top 12% of her class and is suing UT Austin because she didn't get in...never mind that you have to make top 10% to get automatic acceptance into UT. Top 12% is not top 10%!)

Old 05-15-2008, 07:57 AM

The lies are almost literally endless. Good thing in one sense, as it assures me of always having some way to fill a few spare or idle moments by logging into C-D and seeing which ones the reactionaries have punched up this time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies