Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 12:14 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,677,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
You are missing the point.

Many people (Yes, many right-wingers included) are sympathetic to the argument that imposing our will on other nations never really works, and that the fall of our artificial, highly corrupt, installed government in Afghanistan was inevitable once we withdrew. So, the logic goes, waiting another year or five years wouldn’t have really mattered. After all, if we couldn’t win enough hearts and minds in 20 years, what good would another year do? That was Biden’s calculus anyway.

With this said,

the only two options were not to either fully back a corrupt and feckless regime (throwing thousands of more troops into harm’s way) or pulling out entirely.

Biden had an obligation (at the very least) to have a clear actionable plan to get out as many Americans, and Afghans (that helped us during our long 20 years there) as possible before we withdrew the majority of our soldiers. He failed at that, and that is inexcusable. U.S. forces can't help Americans flee to Kabul airport? Really?

Considering that he is now sending some of them (troops) back, I think you can make the argument that the pullout was premature. Just weeks ago, Biden confidently stated that it was highly unlikely that the Taliban would take over the country. To merely say that he turned out to be a very poor analyst would be far too kind. Those words will haunt him for the rest of his presidency.
They obviously had a plan. It didn't work. One reason to withdraw all troops but not tell all Americans to also leave Afghanistan is because that would create the impression the Afghan government would collapse immediately. The assumption was always the country would remain stable enough to keep the embassy. So the only way to not have this happen in hindsight is to assume the worst and broadcast the belief the Taliban would win instantly, and make it a self fulling prophecy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2021, 12:18 PM

39,246 posts, read 27,645,276 times
Thousands of people (Many Americans) are running for their Lives, leaving Afghanistan.

The Taliban are now in the Presidential Palace. The Afghan president slipped out the back.

The the American flag came down off the embassy.

Who is responsible for this travesty ?

Come on man, What was the plan ?

Don't worry Joe's got this. Oh Don't forget, Taliban is not a terrorist group, so who cares?!

Old 08-19-2021, 12:21 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,677,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Thousands of people (Many Americans) are running for their Lives, leaving Afghanistan.

The Taliban are now in the Presidential Palace. The Afghan president slipped out the back.

The the American flag came down off the embassy.

Who is responsible for this travesty ?

Come on man, What was the plan ?

Don't worry Joe's got this. Oh Don't forget, Taliban is not a terrorist group, so who cares?!
I bet fewer Americans will die in Afghanistan than from Covid. So I'm totally fine with that. The national discussion is still which Americans deserve to die.

Old 08-19-2021, 12:26 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,646,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
May have been ancient Greek General that said .'an army of sheep lead by a Lion is more fearsome than an army of lions lead by a sheep ' .Well I know of a lamb in Washington. SEVEN DEFERMENT BIDEN.
Indeed that was Alexander himself that said that. I see in a recent post that unless someone has graduated from West Point or Annapolis or perhaps lolled around in politics for decades courtesy of having been born into wealth any strategic or tactical evaluation one might pose as to this situation makes them an "armchair general." Well, I'm not a career military or political type, I did enlist in the Army prior to graduating high school but a traumatic accident ended my service before it started.

Nevertheless my Dad was career military. 25 years enlisting in the Navy at 17 pulled combat duty for all three years of Korea as an enlisted man then rode the mustang to officer rank leaving enlisted duty as a CPO then after making LT (a CPT in the other branches) pulled his first tour in Vietnam was promoted to LTCDR and did his second tour on the PBRs out of Cat Lo/Vung Tao. He saw a lot of heavy action. And he imparted to me the importance of reading asking questions and to not just stand there when there's work to be done and problems to solve.

He believed education to be a fine thing but that it must be be put to use gaining experience by getting ones hands dirty and being banged up a bit. He called that earning respect not just expecting it because of ones station. One cannot lead from behind. So, I may be just a little better than average as to analyzing tactics and strategy of a military persuasion. Dad spoke often about such matters and even as just a shaver I would watch the news with him and listen intently to his commentary. Stating from the last years of Viet Nam, all the way though to Desert Storm. He passed before 9/11 but he left me a broad base of knowledge from which to form an opinion.

In school where my peers were reading such things as the Chronicles of Narnia I was reading Nyuen Giaps book Peoples War Peoples Army and Tsun Tsu's Art of War. But did did break it up some with JRR Tolkien < James Clavell and such and there is one work of literature of a simpler stripe that was required reading for my son growing up. Wilson Rawls, Where the Red Fern Grows. Though my demon harpy of an ex did all she could to discourage reading as "a STUPID (her favorite word though she didn't realize it applied to her in spades) waste of time.

I'm basing my appraisal of the situation in Afghanistan using all I outlined above. And I think Biden is a moron, his Joint Chief staff ae more concerned about wokeness in the ranks than with battlefield ability. and are a bunch of ring banging windbags who are unworthy as their boss is of respect from all those under their command. Especially the combat troops who are stuck in Kabul with serious danger close with no air or artillery support dismal reinforcement hopes anytime soon and if they have any armor at their disposal it's quite likely no heavier than maybe Bradly's . They may have some man portable anti armor weapons like Dragons and maybe they have a few Hummers with TOW systems. But I'm postulating worse case situation so such weapons are probably precious few in number.

The Taliban has them woefully outnumbered and outgunned and if that dolt in the WH can spare some time when he's not on vacation or retreat I'm sure those young warriors over there would appreciate something resembling help. Before the Taliban decide they feel like killing some Americans. Honestly ,this is perhaps the hugest military blunder that's going to see Americans dead since the Japanese invasion of the PI and the subsequent Bataan death march. The Biden administration and this congress are certainly writing themselves into history on a great note.

Old 08-19-2021, 12:29 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,925,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
" British army extracting UK citizens in Kabul. Biden says "impossible" for US army."

Not impossible for the US Army, just impossible for Biden.
Biden is incapable to lead, that is a fact.

Old 08-19-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I bet fewer Americans will die in Afghanistan than from Covid. So I'm totally fine with that. The national discussion is still which Americans deserve to die.
Except Americans dying in Afghanistan is preventable.

Old 08-19-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
They obviously had a plan. It didn't work. One reason to withdraw all troops but not tell all Americans to also leave Afghanistan is because that would create the impression the Afghan government would collapse immediately. The assumption was always the country would remain stable enough to keep the embassy. So the only way to not have this happen in hindsight is to assume the worst and broadcast the belief the Taliban would win instantly, and make it a self fulling prophecy.
Biden was warned, he ignored it. He and his minions are a clown show.

Old 08-19-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
You have no idea how pist off the Brits are right now at the US.
I mean, they are really, really, pist. Along with other nations of course, but we’re supposed to be bro’s with the UK and we totally ephed up.
Biden was supposed to bring back respect, but reduced us to a laughing stock to the world.

Old 08-19-2021, 12:43 PM

30,084 posts, read 18,694,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
He's saying the military will be there until all Americans are evacuated.
????

The issue is where is "there"?

That "there" is just staying at the airport and telling Americans they have to try to get the airport somehow on their own through territory that is occupied by a hostile military force.

IN CONTRAST, THE BRITS ARE GOING OUT INTO KABUL AND PICKING UP THEIR CITIZENS!

Do you fail to see the difference?

The UK is actually securing the safety of their citizens, while Joe says they are on their own and that "he cannot guarantee their safety"!

So why the hell not? If it is easy for the Brits, it should be much easier for us. However, they do not have a confused, demented commander in chief.

Old 08-19-2021, 12:51 PM

12,045 posts, read 6,584,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
The "Man-bun" wearing generals in today's military aren't capable of doing what needs to be done.

url]
I call them “boy buns”. — real men don’t wear buns or earrings.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies