Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 12:48 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
If you're a teacher and your students know you political beliefs, you're doing the job wrong.
Some of my old high school teachers were candid about their political beliefs. This was in the early 2000s (2000-2004).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2021, 12:52 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
The school district representative said that she was no longer teaching at the school. But was she immediately fired? Is she teaching or working somewhere else? Is she on paid leave? Does she forfeit her benefits? Did she retire? Is there a union involved?
Teachers get less respect and have weaker union backing than police, and when all these questions are asked in regards to a cop, the answer is always theyre on administrative leave or they quietly transferred departments. So I presume she was fired and is at the moment unemployed. Cant imagine the teachers union forcefully fighting this.

Old 08-20-2021, 12:52 PM

52,268 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Some of my old high school teachers were candid about their political beliefs. This was in the early 2000s (2000-2004).
A comment or two from a personal perspective from a teacher probably isn't the end of the world. What this lady did was over the line.

Right or left doesn't matter. Like the guy said, you really shouldn't be keenly aware of a teacher's given slants or leanings, not really.

Old 08-20-2021, 12:56 PM

362 posts, read 140,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Teachers get less respect and have weaker union backing than police, and when all these questions are asked in regards to a cop, the answer is always theyre on administrative leave or they quietly transferred departments. So I presume she was fired and is at the moment unemployed. Cant imagine the teachers union forcefully fighting this.
I beg to differ, and I have experience. The teachers union is very strong where I am, Police Unions are not unilateral, some don't have unions or collective bargaining rights. Depends on where you go in the United States. I am trying to get more information about that school district.

Old 08-20-2021, 01:01 PM

13,460 posts, read 4,295,282 times
and the funny thing is she voted for Biden. LOL. We even have dumb liberals in Utah teaching. She had to be from the Salt Lake City liberal district. We have many libs and tree huggers here. Most of the houses for college students to rent have the Gay pride flags or Biden signs in their from lawns.

The taxpayers are not paying her for this b.s., she should get fired and not be around kids.

Old 08-20-2021, 01:02 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetGlideSpecial View Post
I beg to differ, and I have experience. The teachers union is very strong where I am, Police Unions are not unilateral, some don't have unions or collective bargaining rights. Depends on where you go in the United States. I am trying to get more information about that school district.
They may fight to make sure she gets her proper severance, but I cant see a fight to get her job back. At least with that school/district. Also depends on Utah recording law. Apparently you can record someone without their consent if you are apart of the conversation. So legally the question is was the student who recorded "active" in the conversation with "her." Just simply being in the same room is not enough.

Context is also important. How this began in the first place, in a chemistry class. And how was her handling fired, and what is the standard procedure at this high school (I didnt know 10 years are in high school now).

She and the union can maybe build a case if they really want to, but she'll probably still lose, in my opinion. But to answer the question, shes gone.

Old 08-20-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
They may fight to make sure she gets her proper severance, but I cant see a fight to get her job back. At least with that school/district. Also depends on Utah recording law. Apparently you can record someone without their consent if you are apart of the conversation. So legally the question is was the student who recorded "active" in the conversation with "her." Just simply being in the same room is not enough.

Context is also important. How this began in the first place, in a chemistry class. And how was her handling fired, and what is the standard procedure at this high school (I didnt know 10 years are in high school now).

She and the union can maybe build a case if they really want to, but she'll probably still lose, in my opinion. But to answer the question, shes gone.
Yeah, I saw they fired her. I agree about context, I would of liked to see more of how it started.

Old 08-20-2021, 01:10 PM

13,460 posts, read 4,295,282 times
Context? She is a teacher and has full control of her classroom of minors. What context? they have her in a video with her own voice shooting herself in the foot. That's better than a confession. Add that the school investigated and talked with all her students and know she has done this a lot. What is her defense that a minor forced her to do this in front of the class room? LOL

She has no case.

Old 08-20-2021, 01:39 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,626,193 times
Agree about context. There is no potential situation where this outcome is appropriate.

When she saw herself starting to go down that road, she should have re-centered herself and refocused the class on the appropriate topic, which in this case was a chemistry lesson. Sorry if I sound judgmental, but it's a sore spot with me, this behavior doesn't belong in the classroom.

Another point: a classroom is a place where all students should feel comfortable learning, growing, and making mistakes. How is a student going to trust a teacher who openly asserts that those who don't think in lockstep with her are lower than dirt? No trust/faith in the teacher, no environment that fosters growth.

Glad she's gone.

Old 08-20-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
Agree about context. There is no potential situation where this outcome is appropriate.

When she saw herself starting to go down that road, she should have re-centered herself and refocused the class on the appropriate topic, which in this case was a chemistry lesson. Sorry if I sound judgmental, but it's a sore spot with me, this behavior doesn't belong in the classroom.

Another point: a classroom is a place where all students should feel comfortable learning, growing, and making mistakes. How is a student going to trust a teacher who openly asserts that those who don't think in lockstep with her are lower than dirt? No trust/faith in the teacher, no environment that fosters growth.

Glad she's gone.
I agree and thank you. You guys have a really selfless profession. My mother was a teacher for 41 years and loved every moment of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies