Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 09:51 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yet you'll take it from the OP, who (willfully?) misinterpreted his/her own link.
Yet nothing I've posted indicates I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2021, 10:20 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
It is not a vaccine, and in terms of what is required from a vaccine, it does not work. There is no need to wait to make a final assessment on that particular point.
Yes, it is a vaccine, and it does work. The rates of death and serious illness for the vaccinated are a small fraction of what they are compared to the unvaccinated.

But don’t take my word for it…

If we look to data instead of dogma, we can see how effective the vaccine is at preventing serious illness and hospitalization from COVID-19, even with a variant it wasn’t designed to combat. Here is the data from Virginia’s Department of Health. All it takes is a minute or two to look at the graphs and read the blurbs to see how effective the vaccine is. For someone my age, it is 87% effective in preventing illness. According to national figures, it is 99% effective in preventing serious illness and hospitalization.

If you want to tell yourself it’s not a vaccine, go ahead. Don’t let the facts get in the way of your feelings. But at least take a moment to learn the facts:

https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronav...tatus-and-age/

According to government data, 1.1% of those hospitalized in the US with COVID are unvaccinated. I guess that’s a coincidence? But don’t take it from me:

https://apnews.com/article/coronavir...6e7354f5d5e187

And here’s NIA. Guess what? The vaccine has prevented 140,000 additional COVID deaths in the US:

https://www.nia.nih.gov/news/vaccine...d-19-deaths-us

So tell me: what is a vaccine, in your opinion, and after looking at the numbers provided, how does it not meet that definition?

Old 08-25-2021, 10:25 AM

199 posts, read 67,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
It is not a vaccine, and in terms of what is required from a vaccine, it does not work. There is no need to wait to make a final assessment on that particular point.
Vaccines work.

Covid hospitalization rates per 100K population:

Top 10 states by vaccination rate: 11
Bottom 10 states by vaccination rate: 42

http://https://healthdata.gov/Hospital/COVID-19-Reported-Patient-Impact-and-Hospital-Capa/g62h-syeh

Old 08-25-2021, 10:45 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
The New York variant has arrived:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...ccine-mutation

Vaccines aren't going to stop this.
Social distancing and masks will only prolong the pandemic, allowing the virus even more time to linger and mutate.

What we need are effective anti-viral meds & treatments, instead of wasting billions on vaccines that only work for a few months or a year at best, before a new vaccine resistant variant emerges.
It is discrimination against New Yorkers to call it that.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:55 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
If vaccines work, why do they not work?

If masks work, why do they not work?

"If vaccines work, why do they not work?"

Vaccines do work. But "work" is a relative term. They were found to be 95% effective against the original variant. Less effective against Delta, and perhaps less effective against this New York City variant.

"If masks work, why do they not work?"

Masks do work, but only if everybody wears them.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:24 AM

4,665 posts, read 4,980,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post

"If masks work, why do they not work?"

Masks do work, but only if everybody wears them.
This just isn't credible, though. Why would masks not affect spread appreciably at, say, 80% compliance, but suddenly they would at 100%? There's just no reason or piece of evidence that points to that. It's just something people say because they're frustrated that mass masking doesn't work, but don't want to admit that it doesn't work.

Old 08-25-2021, 01:10 PM

21,478 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
That's not how vaccines of the past have worked. But since it's ll we got, we pretend like that is all we expected from them.
I never said I expected more. This is probably the best case scenario with a coronavirus since they have different strains like the flu.

Old 08-25-2021, 03:29 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I never said I expected more. This is probably the best case scenario with a coronavirus since they have different strains like the flu.
And once again, the question is are we going to continue to live the rest of our lives in fear?

And to also say this again, I can understand taking a vaccine if it is a traditional vaccine that prevents people from getting a sickness that has a much higher fatality rate, such as flu pandemic of 1918, which killed 675,000 people in the U.S. when the U.S. population was about a third of what it is now) https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...emic-h1n1.html )-- but the fact remains that after 19 months, COVID has reportedly killed just about 0.19% of the U.S. population, about 1 out of 530 people (332.7 million people divided by 628,000 deaths attributed to COVID) -- and again, that is in a 19-month period! And, again, the great majority of those people who died were either over 70 or had serious health problems anyway, and COVID might not have had anything to do with at least some of those deaths.

Old 08-25-2021, 03:41 PM

8,239 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
That’s just not true. The vaccines do work at keeping people from having the worst effects of the virus. Sure, there are some breakthrough cases that end up with serious illness, but the vast majority of breakthrough cases saw milder symptoms than they would have without the vaccine. The vulnerable population (meaning generally older or multiple co-morbidities) should go ahead and get the vaccine and younger, healthier people should decide if it’s worth it. But of course I feel that EVERYONE should have a choice, just as they do the flu vaccine.
There's no proof of that. There's no way to tell if the person has a mild case from the vaccine or if the person was going to have a mild case anyway. You would have to have an alternative universe where the person also wasn't vaccinated and compare the two. Most people were having mild or no symptoms before the vaccine.

Old 08-25-2021, 03:52 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
And once again, the question is are we going to continue to live the rest of our lives in fear?

And to also say this again, I can understand taking a vaccine if it is a traditional vaccine that prevents people from getting a sickness that has a much higher fatality rate, such as flu pandemic of 1918, which killed 675,000 people in the U.S. when the U.S. population was about a third of what it is now) https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...emic-h1n1.html )-- but the fact remains that after 19 months, COVID has reportedly killed just about 0.19% of the U.S. population, about 1 out of 530 people (332.7 million people divided by 628,000 deaths attributed to COVID) -- and again, that is in a 19-month period! And, again, the great majority of those people who died were either over 70 or had serious health problems anyway, and COVID might not have had anything to do with at least some of those deaths.
Nobody is talking about living in fear. We do things every day to protect ourselves from illness, injury, and death. If I have to add an annual COVID vaccine and wear a mask indoors during surges, then I’ll do it. Not because I’m scared, but because we all take the steps we deem necessary to protect ourselves from the things we don’t want to experience. I don’t want to get COVID. It’s a terrible disease and death is only one of the risks. The long-term health complications for many are serious and poorly understood. I consider that worthy of the very small sacrifices I’m making to protect myself from getting the virus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies