Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 03:02 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
All y'all realize this moratorium was put in place in 2020, right?
Yes. As explicitly authorized by Congress. The CDC didn’t try to create some authority it didn’t have like now. That said, I had a problem with it from a constitutional perspective even last year as I viewed the moratorium as a taking which requires just compensation. But we are not dealing with the same situation here. And then you had some people who were willing to put up with some of the earlier moves, but have had enough at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2021, 03:10 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
And just like extended unemployment it should have been stopped 6 months ago or more.

Biden should never extended it.

Old 08-27-2021, 03:16 PM

9,509 posts, read 4,344,731 times
Quote:
Once again, you zone in on a small piece of the puzzle without considering the context around it.

Old 08-27-2021, 03:17 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Put your mask on; put your gloves on; go to work, was not an option given to millions of renter and homeowners alike. Banks are foreclosing, you know that right? Something is wrong in a country when the government can pit one another against each other, over something that was done to them not for them, by the government.
I agree with you up to a point. A lot of people lost their jobs through no fault of their own. Some could have found other ways to make money, like I did, but it's not possible for all of them to do those jobs, because they are now over saturated. People keep telling me that they are trying to get on with that work, but they can't. And it's because there's too many people doing it right now.

So, I agree with you, up to a point, that when you force people to sit at home, and not allow them to make an income, you need to take care of that.

The government did.

And this is where we part ways - the government did give them money. Not only did they get state unenjoyment pay, they got federal unenjoyment pay. And I guarantee you that many of them were making MORE with all that government pay, than they were when they were actually working.

They had plenty of money to pay their bills, pay their rent, and pay for food.

As I've been doing deliveries since this started, I can tell you that there's a whole lot of people out there in a whole lot of places who are not using that money to pay their rent and bills, who are not saving anything extra, and who are not taking the jobs that are now open, with double and triple the amount of minimum wage for a minimum wage job.

My sympathy has now ended.

Since they didn't get much at all in the beginning, while everything was being processed, I was okay with it for the first 6 months.

After that? No. They were getting enough money to pay for everything, and in many places, that are not run by complete tyrants, they were able to get out there and work.

They chose not to, and they definitely weren't saving. I could spend a couple of long paragraphs telling you what people bought, (totally unnecessary), where they lived, and how many repeat customers I had. And I don't get designated customers, I get whatever comes up - if I choose to take it, I can also deny it. I don't know the name until I take it - and yet, defying the odds with an oversaturated 'work' force doing this, with all of the orders that come through each and every single day, with all the areas that I work - and with denying a good chunk of those jobs (because apparently some people think my gas, tires, oil changes, and time are 'free'), I still managed to see the same people, over and over and over again, ordering crap they did not need. Not just food - all kinds of crap from stores that some of these app jobs pick up at.

I've seen a whole lot of new cars in very run down neighborhoods.
I've delivered to areas that house people who don't make a lot of money.
I've delivered a lot of BS 'wants' not 'needs' to people who live in some pretty scummy areas.

I agree with you, up to 6 months in 2020. No more. They had their time. It's over.

Old 08-27-2021, 03:46 PM

958 posts, read 1,106,280 times
Fantastic IDEA let them [ fill in your choice] keep living for free.
Not all Land-Lords are Wealthy.

State, cities and counties want there tax moeny

Old 08-27-2021, 05:51 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
And just like extended unemployment it should have been stopped 6 months ago or more.

Biden should never extended it.
and within 10 days or so, of both, we will say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTB46FJOF5w

Old 08-27-2021, 05:56 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
I was thinking about this generally earlier this afternoon and I seemed to recall renting mostly from small scale Landlords rather than corporates and I decided to plot them out.

Not including places I lived in as a kid (rented by parent(s)) I have rented 11 places since turning 18. Of those 11 places. 8 were small scale or "mom & pop" landlords and only 3 were more corporate or large scale landlords.

Further, if I break it down more, before I bought my first home (a condo), I rented 8 places, only 1 of which was not a "mom & pop". The reason being, once I got to the post in my life I could buy a place I was more likely to rent short term from bigger/institutional landlords when I knew I'd be there very short term before I bought something in the new area. Earlier, when I was renting in a longer term scenario, I was renting from landlords with only a handful or fewer properties.

I had exactly one crappy landlord out of the 11.

I valued the ability to rent when I was younger to give me more flexibility of where to go to maximize my potential and because I hadn't built up savings to put down a down payment. After I bought my first place and had to move to a different geography gave me the opportunity to get a place wihtout committing to something long term before I knew where I really wanted to be in a new area.

All this to say, in my experience the availability of rental units has helped my mobility, not hindered it, and I don't consider it feudal in the least. And by my experience landlords have a small number of units that they hold for investment and have to spend to upkeep. Before I bought a place I did not have to worry about replacing the roof or re-plubling because the pipes have gotten too old. I've had to do that and more as a homeowner. Those who begrudge landlords writ large don't understand the expenses and risk involved that they take off their tenants. I did mention I had 1 crappy mandrlod out of the bunch, so I fully appreciate they exist. But there is no reason to demonize all because of the slumlords that are out there.

Old 08-27-2021, 06:09 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
The court is doing exactly what they were intended to do, protect the people from government.

Old 08-27-2021, 06:11 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
“Y’all”?

Wow, has the English language been butchered or what?

Old 08-27-2021, 07:02 PM

2,709 posts, read 1,040,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Go home you can't go to work until we say you can wasn't?
Also was, but the government paid thosr people "compensation".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies