Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 10:00 PM

805 posts, read 1,084,553 times

Advertisements

Nancy Pelosi turned 81 this year. Joe Biden will be 79 in November. For Senators: Dianne Feinstein is 88. Chuck Grassley is 88. James Inhofe is 86. Richard Shelby is 87. It is the oldest Senate in history. These are people who have already outlived many folks that are in the nursing home. I don't mean to be crass, but isn't old age a time when one is preparing to check out? Spending more time with loved ones. Taking that trip that was never possible. Willing to step aside for younger folks who may have better minds and ideas?

"Twenty-three members of the Senate are in their 70s; only one is under 40. According to the Congressional Research Service, the average age of senators at the beginning of this year was 64.3 years — the oldest in history."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...e-term-limits/

It's disheartening to think that our President is 78 years old with obvious mental and cognitive decline. The #3 in the country (Pelosi) is 81. More and more, I'm beginning to think of age and term limits for public officials. In the armed forces and many other occupations, there are age, height, weight restrictions for obvious reasons. Why not for politicians as well?

Wouldn't term or age limits promote the idea of a true public servant, one who has the interest of their constituents and nation at heart? One who doesn't go to Washington just to become rich and famous. It seems that if these elderly Senators and Congress members are hanging onto these positions for dear life, the gravy train must be so good they can't get off. And I don't see how that's helpful or healthy for a democratic republic such as ours.

More than anything though, I'm just wondering: Why are these people still there? Don't they have other places to be? Would love to hear your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2021, 10:01 PM

417 posts, read 246,861 times
It's on the voters. How many voters vote in the primary? I'd argue primaries are just as important as general elections.

Old 08-28-2021, 10:09 PM

1,665 posts, read 973,862 times
I'm right there with you. It's past time these elderly people retire to the "Fletcher Memorial Home-Pink Floyd".

We need new faces and ideas for this country. It's a **** poor shame that money buys your way in politics. It's just a way to keep the ordinary Joe's out. One's that exactly know what is going on in their city, jurisdiction and state. That's probably why the government doesn't want Joe's in office. They're afraid of losing their power over the people.

Old 08-28-2021, 10:09 PM

29,811 posts, read 24,891,001 times
Because it's either that or Walmart greeter...

And it's not like the younger ones (AOC for example) are any better.

Old 08-28-2021, 10:13 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,808,533 times
It appears that's what people vote for. Our last President was also old and showed significant cognitive and mental design. Biden and Trump are the oldest Presidents ever to assume office and Biden will be the oldest President to leave office when he leaves (with Raegan being the second oldest).

Old 08-28-2021, 10:50 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
The reality of term limits is that the politicians end up selling their souls to the highest bidders in exchange for high paying jobs upon leaving office and inexperienced lawmakers tend to lean heavily on briefing papers prepared by lobbyists to make decisions rather than having the time to become more expert on their own for complex issues.

Old 08-28-2021, 11:00 PM

32,053 posts, read 15,049,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
Nancy Pelosi turned 81 this year. Joe Biden will be 79 in November. For Senators: Dianne Feinstein is 88. Chuck Grassley is 88. James Inhofe is 86. Richard Shelby is 87. It is the oldest Senate in history. These are people who have already outlived many folks that are in the nursing home. I don't mean to be crass, but isn't old age a time when one is preparing to check out? Spending more time with loved ones. Taking that trip that was never possible. Willing to step aside for younger folks who may have better minds and ideas?

"Twenty-three members of the Senate are in their 70s; only one is under 40. According to the Congressional Research Service, the average age of senators at the beginning of this year was 64.3 years — the oldest in history."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...e-term-limits/

It's disheartening to think that our President is 78 years old with obvious mental and cognitive decline. The #3 in the country (Pelosi) is 81. More and more, I'm beginning to think of age and term limits for public officials. In the armed forces and many other occupations, there are age, height, weight restrictions for obvious reasons. Why not for politicians as well?

Wouldn't term or age limits promote the idea of a true public servant, one who has the interest of their constituents and nation at heart? One who doesn't go to Washington just to become rich and famous. It seems that if these elderly Senators and Congress members are hanging onto these positions for dear life, the gravy train must be so good they can't get off. And I don't see how that's helpful or healthy for a democratic republic such as ours.

More than anything though, I'm just wondering: Why are these people still there? Don't they have other places to be? Would love to hear your thoughts.

They are there because people keep voting for them. Why do they keep doing that. I wanted Buttigieg. There were many young republicans running for president as well. But Trump was chosen. We are just idiots I guess.

Old 08-28-2021, 11:13 PM

52,221 posts, read 52,642,422 times
Because these scumbags won't f ing just die. I think that the lust for power just won't go away.

Old 08-29-2021, 12:19 AM

29,214 posts, read 22,351,209 times
After 30 years of living in Washington D.C., the city has become the home a lot of our senior representatives know.
They all still have a house back in their home state, because they must to keep their job, but the District is where they've lived, sent their kids to school, developed friendships, connections and acquaintances, and where most of their lives have been spent.

It's a glittering city too. Lots of stuff happening all the time that makes life in a city pleasurable.

A lot of our aging Senators and Representatives probably look back on their former lives back home as being rather drab and difficult in comparison to the lives they lead now.
Since their job really isn't very hard most of the time, especially when all the heavy lifting can be done by their staffs and less senior fellows, why not just stay on the job for another term or two before hanging it up for good?

The perks are bountiful, the retirement plan is wonderful, and life is satisfying for them. Incumbency allows them to stay, and voters always vote for the familiar names the most often.
So the hardest part of the occupation- getting elected- becomes easier with each election. All any of them have to do is go back to where they came from just often enough to stay in touch with the thoughts and emotions of their voters, keep the money coming to those who are the most important to them, and work like the dickens for a few months every 6 years.

Not a bad deal for anyone who wants to give it a try. Politics as a profession can be the best career move a person ever makes when the person is cut out for it.

Old 08-29-2021, 12:31 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,808,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Because these scumbags won't f ing just die. I think that the lust for power just won't go away.
Must be that great healthcare they receive at our expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies