Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 10:45 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,659,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
The concept that math is racist has been in the news for several months. There have been many threads in this forum and in the education forum.

In Oregon:

“A Pathway to Equitable Math Instruction does offer an 82-page workbook on how teachers can "examine their actions, beliefs, and values around teaching mathematics." The group claims white supremacy culture can show up in the classroom in various ways, including when "the focus is on getting the 'right' answer," and when "students are required to 'show their work.'"

The group also says educators should try to "center ethnomathematics" by identifying and challenging the ways that "math is used to uphold capitalist, imperialist, and racist views."”

The news station reached out to the group behind this, and part of their reply was:

“Oregon’s mathematics achievement data highlights systemic inequities for Oregon’s students of color. This is not a new story. The idea is to remove barriers for students based on ideas of mathematics readiness that may contain racial and ability biases.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/katu.co...th-instruction

This has also affected schools in other states.

Okay...lots of inequity verbage there, but I want to know...specific math equations in "showing your work"...please give me "CRT" examples of this at the high school or lower level...something like "1+2=3" and how that would even be remotely considered racist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2021, 10:55 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Okay...lots of inequity verbage there, but I want to know...specific math equations in "showing your work"...please give me "CRT" examples of this at the high school or lower level...something like "1+2=3" and how that would be considered racist?
Correct answers are racist. Correct answers are an example of white supremacists oppressing ethnic minorities (blacks and Hispanics, not Asians, who of course generally excel at math).

Lest you think I am making this nonsense up:

“The theory rests on the belief that mathematics is a tool of White oppression, inherently biased against Blacks. Therefore, to level the playing field, Black children should be held to a different competency level. Mathematical approximations, as opposed to correct answers, is the goal.”

The article I’ve linked then mentions Oregon, whose Department of Education states: “The concept of mathematics being purely objective is unequivocally false.”

And concludes by mentioning:

“Laurie Rubel, Brooklyn College Professor of Math Education, offered her words of wisdom on Twitter, writing that the 2+2=4 equation “reeks of white supremacist patriarchy.””

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bal...outputType=amp

This is disastrous for our country.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:15 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
They can not teach what the State of Texas and many parents don't see as appropriate.
Propaganda/ distortions are not the same.
fixed

Old 09-01-2021, 12:10 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
No. Entire police departments in the south were formed, originally, for the sole purpose of capturing runaway slaves.

https://plsonline.eku.edu/insidelook...rican-policing
No substance whatsoever, none. Again, they weren't police. They weren't arresting people for violating rights, drunkenness, fighting ...
They were formed to capture and deal with slaves. That's not policing. And CRT isn't true either.

Old 09-01-2021, 12:18 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
THis is not surprising to me at all!

Ive mentioned many times, how our modern drug laws are implicated...but now instead of targeting blacks, asians, etc...they are now used primarily against younger white people!

For proof of this, take a look at the majority of people arrested for Heroin or opioid related charges...chances are they are younger white people!

This is not a coincidence either...in the past, these laws were used to target certain races, the only thing that has changed is what race they are targeting.

Old 09-01-2021, 05:29 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Desperate to defend him...no surprise there.

snip
I would also love specifics.

Teaching about Jim Crow and slavery does not bother me.

The second words like white privilege, intersectionality, white fragility etc come up or assumption that a white person is automatically privileged and an oppressor or that someone who is not an active antiracist is a racist are a problem.

Old 09-01-2021, 05:32 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
I would personally love to see political speech of all types banned 100% K-8.
And banned from all non political classes 9-12.

Old 09-01-2021, 06:43 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Are you kidding?

Back in the day, before 1960, schools didn't ALLOW black kids in.
There weren't "blacks only" brick doors. There were NO doors for Black children.

Most of the police agencies in the south were formed, originally, to capture runaway slaves. That was the entire purpose of police departments. When they first formed in the South.

I do understand that times have changed, and after the year 2000, most of this, if not ALL of this, was eliminated.

But the fact that you don't seem to know it was originally true, is telling.

Back in the day was actually 1953, but thanks for playing...

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/fed...pinion-1940809

Old 09-01-2021, 07:15 AM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
excellent. kick his sorry CRT-lovin' ass to the curb.
Yes get the pitch forks and torches out the district hasn't even indicated why he was suspended, but don't let that get in the way of a mob out for blood.

Some more details to his suspension left out of the OP's article.

He deserves to be fired for posting a picture of him and his wife on social media, poor example for the students.

Sounds like he is going to get a rather nice payout from the school district if he sues, they should hold that school board responsible for a terrible decision.

Quote:
“I was not given any clear reasoning behind the decision and was not given a timetable regarding further steps,” Whitfield said in a Facebook message. “I was simply told that it was in the best interest of the district.”

The first Black principal to run Colleyville Heritage High School, became embroiled in a local controversy over critical race theory at a July 26 school board meeting. A man introduced in the meeting as Stetson Clark called the principal out by name, in violation of the meeting’s rules, and demanded Whitfield be fired. Members of the audience hollered “fire him” and applauded, Whitfield said.

“That behavior was allowed and a month later, here we are,” the principal told The Post. “I’m placed on paid administrative leave.”

A few days later, a parent complained to the district about a photo Whitfield had posted on social media that showed him and his wife, who is White, in an embrace, celebrating their wedding anniversary.

“Is this the Dr. Whitfield we want as an example for our students?” the parent asked in an email that Whitfield recounted on Facebook. The district asked Whitfield to remove the photo to avoid further controversy, KXAS-TV reported.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/te...cid=uxbndlbing

Old 09-01-2021, 07:25 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Seems to me, like social media itself may be the problem...People could live without it, may sting a little at first, but overall, its probably the best thing for society in general...

Plus, you have to consider what social media will look like in the next 10-15 yrs if its allowed to continue on!! That is scary to think about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies