Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2021, 06:42 PM

8,950 posts, read 11,819,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
animals..
Yeah, animals indeed. The first victim should have ran away when he had the chance. The second victim appears to be an older person minding his own business who was attacked a by coward who hit him out of nowhere. MSM made excuses for BLM brutal tactics, so it's not a surprise that this kind violence is tolerated now. What I find really sad is that none of bystanders did anything to stop it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2021, 07:29 PM

73,144 posts, read 62,819,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t. raleigh fingers View Post
This is so true. If you read The Warmth of other Suns by Isabelle Wilkerson (re the Great Migration), she gives an account of a black nurse who moved from the South to South Shore in Chicago. IIRC it was in the late 50s or early 60s when she moved. Even back then, as South Shore was changing from all-white to all-black, this nurse talked about how crime was a growing problem in her neighborhood.

My guess is that this stems from something called 'adaptive compliance.' There was a very good episode on NPR's 'Freakanomics' about this.
https://freakonomics.com/2015/09/10/...ll-transcript/

While they don't say this, my theory is that when the authorities (police, politicians, etc) are basically evil oppressors, it is easy for young people to have little or no 'adaptive compliance,' which is really just the same thing as 'respect for authority.'
My mother has that book, The Warmth Of Other Suns. I might have to borrow it from her.

I know about the Great Migration. My father is a product of it. My father is a born and raised Midwesterner, but his parents are from the Deep South. They got tired of taking crap and dealing with the plantation mentality of the Jim Crow South. The neighborhood my father was born and raised in, it was nearly all Black. It has been a White neighborhood until WW2. Segregation wasn't officially the law of the land in his home town. However, segregation managed to exist anyway. In some neighborhoods, Blacks were either not allowed to buy housing, or no one would sell or rent to them. Housing discrimination was a big part of creating segregation. His parents were home owners. They both worked. However, the neighborhood they lived in was kind of rough. It wasn't as bad back then as it would be after the industrial jobs dried up (and drugs came in). However, one of the things housing discrimination did was create a situation where many middle class Blacks would live in the same neighborhoods with the underclass. Crime was higher in my father's neighborhood than in other parts of the city.

When housing discrimination was made illegal, Blacks who had the resources to leave, did just that. They left and went to other neighborhoods.

In the case of my father, he had strong, hardworking parents. They knew life was hard for them as Black people. At the same time, they would tell my father "go to school, keep your grades up, stay out of trouble". He was raised in church, so that also helped. It was expected for him to read books. Their mentality was "we didn't even go to high school, but you have a chance to to much better than we did". Well, it worked. My father was the first male in the family to not only graduate high school, but graduate college too. I would follow in my father's footsteps and graduate from college too. For me, the Great Migration is very personal, because it's in my family.

Given how rampant police brutality and discrimination was in the 1950s, it wouldn't surprise me if there were some young Black men who hated authority and society in general. It wouldn't surprise me if that nihilistic mentality grew. Barry White talked about the anger and rage he had growing up in late 1950s/early 1960s Los Angeles.

And it's interesting you mention Chicago. The Black P. Stones, a violent street gang, was founded at the St. Charles Institution for Troubled Youth in 1959. One of its co-founders was Jeff Fort. Fort was born in Mississippi in 1947 and moved to Chicago's Woodlawn neighborhood in 1955. The gang was established to defend themselves against other gangs on Chicago's South Side. It grew into one of Chicago's most dangerous street gangs by ​early 1960s. Chicago has always been a city of gangs. St. Louis too. BTW, Fort was 12 years old when he founded the gang.

Urbanization and gangs seem to go together alot. The violence we see, it's often an urban phenomenon. It leaves alot to wonder about why.

Old 09-04-2021, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Sounds reasonable, and we know places like Chicago and New York are the most corrupt cities in the country.
So is New Orleans. These are cities where machine politics have long played a big role. In Chicago, the gangs have even been known to influence politics.

Old 09-04-2021, 07:57 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,670,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I never said LBJ was the Black man's friend. I am saying this. LBJ pushed the Civil Rights Act forward. Barry Goldwater, however, did not. Here is the thing. Barry Goldwater wasn't really the Black man's friend either. Here is the deal. The Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act were two of the most important bills for Black people in the 20th century.

And I read your link. Even your source says it will never know for certain if LBJ said all of those things. This is the thing. Why would Black people vote for Barry Goldwater considering his lack of support for the Civil Rights Act of 1964?

I also have to consider that we have people claiming "Blacks were better off in the 1950s". Based on a basic knowledge of American history, I consider that a big lie.
Who, in the past ten years, do/did you consider the black man's friend?

Old 09-04-2021, 07:57 PM

Opinion.

Whenever I hear people say "Blacks were better off in the 1950s", I don't think it's really about solid families. I think it's code for "We liked it better when Blacks knew their place. We liked it better when Blacks were afraid to even insult White people. We liked it when Blacks were meek and stayed on their side of the tracks". I really do believe that this is what it's really about. American history shows me that Blacks weren't better off. Jim Crow segregation. Rampant and open discrimination. "No Blacks allowed" being the rule in many parts of society and in many places, included many towns (look up "sundown town"). I think about all the restrictions and limitations Black people were forced to deal with, the laws against Black people, the nearly impenetrable discrimination, it's dishonest to say that Blacks were better off back then. This is why I think it's really about wanting "to keep the Blacks in line, afraid, and under control". Whenever there are stories about Black criminals beating up White people, that is when I notice LBJ being brought up. This is when I notice things like "Blacks were better off in the 1950s than now".

Old 09-04-2021, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Who, in the past ten years, do/did you consider the black man's friend?
Truthfully? No one. We live in a world where it's every man for himself. This is why I tend to be very individualistic when I vote. When it comes to politics, it's every many for himself.

Old 09-04-2021, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Truthfully? No one. We live in a world where it's every man for himself. This is why I tend to be very individualistic when I vote. When it comes to politics, it's every many for himself.
Got it. Thanks, g_m.

Old 09-04-2021, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Got it. Thanks, g_m.
I know I sound very cynical. However, over the last 5 years, I've seen things get very ugly. Not 1960s ugly, but not nice nonetheless. My view is that no matter which party is in charge, Blacks finish last. I get tired of people who think they know what's best for me, when they are really looking out for themselves. And I've noticed this from both liberals and conservatives.

My point is this. The way politics works, many politics function as a means to an end. Nothing more.

Old 09-04-2021, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I know I sound very cynical. However, over the last 5 years, I've seen things get very ugly. Not 1960s ugly, but not nice nonetheless. My view is that no matter which party is in charge, Blacks finish last. I get tired of people who think they know what's best for me, when they are really looking out for themselves. And I've noticed this from both liberals and conservatives.

My point is this. The way politics works, many politics function as a means to an end. Nothing more.
No, actually, you sound very realistic. Nobody has done anything positive for black folks. Then again, I don't think they've done anything positive for white folks either.

I would agree with the bolded text. They don't care about anyone but themselves. They don't represent us the way they're supposed to. We need to start cleaning them all out every election. This way there are no career politicians profiteering off the backs of those of us who don't get vacation breaks every five minutes.

Knowing that neither party has helped black folks, make a list of how each party over the past ten years has hurt black folks. It's a good exercise and may be an eye opener.

Old 09-04-2021, 08:20 PM

Quote:
No, actually, you sound very realistic. Nobody has done anything positive for black folks. Then again, I don't think they've done anything positive for white folks either.

I would agree with the bolded text. They don't care about anyone but themselves. They don't represent us the way they're supposed to. We need to start cleaning them all out every election. This way there are no career politicians profiteering off the backs of those of us who don't get vacation breaks every five minutes.

Knowing that neither party has helped black folks, make a list of how each party over the past ten years has hurt black folks. It's a good exercise and may be an eye opener.
If nothing else, this is why I've voted 3rd party two elections in a row. I didn't buy the "vote for me, what do you have to lose" bit. I know alot of politicians don't care. I tend to expect that. Many people get into politics for money and power. Not saying all, because there are individuals who do good things.

What I see from some people are those trying to get me to vote for their candidate. I dealt with that during the 2016 election a few times. I started to consider that said persons were in it for themselves, and not because they cared about me. I'm not talking about politicians. I'm talking about regular people.

Whenever I come across threads like "why don't Blacks vote Republican" or "Blacks should vote Republican" or the like, I get suspicious. My question is this: Why do you want me to vote Republican and what will I get out of it that I don't already have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies