Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2021, 11:22 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
You guys need to watch other things other than the 700 club and duck dynasty. There is absolutely edgier stuff on air now, shameless has more racial and general craziness than all in the family ever did. Have you guys been watching TV? Mel Brooks is a little before my time, but i seen blazing saddles it isnt that offensive, the standard we are applying is whether the thing gets made or not, not that someone on twitter will complain that's going to happen and it should be ignored.
Seriously, exactly...media in 2021 is definitely not "softer" than 2011, or 2001. It is a free for all now. I grew up where your parents had to have HBO or Cinemax to get the real stuff. Everything on cable was cut and so many bleeps you couldn't make out conversations...

Now there's full on sex scenes on Lifetime, S and F words on cable, more adult cartoons than ever, you can turn on Netflix and find a nipple in 10 seconds. Every movie these days features a shootout. Even kids TV is dirtier than that it was when I was a kid. I grew up with hiddden innuendos in the cartoon. Innuendos dont exist anymore, they just go ahead and say it now. I watched John Wick on cable the other day at like 6 in the evening, just as violent as in the theater, knives in heads, on cable. That didn't fly in the early 2000s.

And that's just focusing on what they allow to be aired these days, not whats actually being made. Music is the same way.

Too much focus on "snowflake cancel culture" and "why cant they blackface anymore, they laughed then..." when that's not even peoples focus. Folks calling movies and TV soft today, but whos really complaining about the state of it? Not my generation. We are waiting for the next season of Big Mouth.

Seriously, have you people seen Big Mouth? It is not for the faint of heart, and it is a cartoon. You complain about what cant be made today, that would never be made "back in the day" when folks "just knew how to laugh." It only exists today because of the edginess that is tolerated today...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2021, 11:26 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Thought of more...

White Men Can’t Jump
Guess Who
Sister Act
The Song of Bernadette
The King and I
South Pacific (although this was remade in 2001 for TV)
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Old 09-02-2021, 11:30 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Yeah, nope.
It is not done in a derogatory way. I personally think its hilarious. Jerk is also not a movie that has transcended into younger generations anyways, its obscure.

Someone here will say "but libs will call it blackface" yada yada broke record...it is not blackface. It doesnt matter anyways, because unless Jerk 2 features a superhero or a giant cgi tsunami, it would never get made today anyways. It's not about the race factor, folks want to make it one.

Old 09-03-2021, 12:18 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce1 View Post
The ridiculous part about Blazing Saddles probably not being able to be made today is that the ENTIRE movie is anti-racism.
But, because there are trigger words and because the message is a little nuanced, the call out vultures would attack it.
And again? No one has raised their voice against Blazing Saddles. It's a made-up scenario used to complain about the justified criticism of the content of, for instance, Gone with the Wind.

Old 09-03-2021, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
That's not untrue, but do you think a modern millennial or Gen-Z leftist has the critical thinking skills and appreciation of context necessary to suss that out?
Empirically? Criticism of films with questionable approaches to racism happens, criticism of Blazing Saddles not so much.

Old 09-03-2021, 03:40 AM

108 posts, read 49,270 times
Some older movies and TV shows would be cancelled or banned. I think most would be allowed but heavily censored compared to their original version.

If it were made today, Forrest Gump would be heavily censored and likely banned. Theres a scene where the integration of high schools is shown where racial slurs are used. Forrest sits next to a black woman when he tells her he was named after Nathan Bedford Forrest. He tells the black woman that the KKK is a harmless organization. Forrest refuses to take no for an answer from Jenny, attacks the men she chooses to be with and persists in trying to convince her to marry him. Forrest sings in a black church choir and is portrayed as the white savior when he gives that church a bunch of money. Likewise when he gives Bubba's family money from the shrimping business profits.

M*A*S*H would be heavily censored today. Corporal Klinger trying to use being transgender to be declared crazy would never fly. Most scenes involving Major Houlihan would be considered sexual harassment today particularly her Hot Lips nickname.

Seinfeld today would have been cancelled after the cigar store Indian episode or the episode that makes fun of Chinese restaurants. Also, there would be no Kramer if it were made today because of his racist outburst.

The Simpsons have already been forced to apologize for the character of Apu. If the series debuted today, the characters of Smithers and Millhouse would be censored as well for making fun of gays. Nelson would not be allowed for glorifying bullies.

Lethal Weapon if it were made today wouldnt have Mel Gibson. We Were Soldiers would be cancelled for portraying the Vietnam War and American soldiers in a positive light. Braveheart also would not be made today with Gibson in it nor would any other movie he was starring in be made.

No movie that Jon Voight was in would be made today with him in it. No way would a Trump supporter be given any of the roles he got.

Arnold Schwarzeneggers Kindergarten Cop would be allowed but censored. "Boys have a penis, girls have a vagina" wouldnt fly today.

Mel Gibson, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, Tommy Lee Jones, Harrison Ford, Tom Cruise and many more would be accused of promoting toxic masculinity. Many of their movies would be censored or cancelled because of this.

Old 09-03-2021, 04:02 AM

7,542 posts, read 11,576,646 times
The late 80s to mid 90s ghetto hood movies like Boyz In The Hood New Jack Cit and Menace II Society
Some white people would be screaming these movies are racist

The original Nerds they are making a movie loosely based on the original but this one will be PG 13 and a lot more PC

Old 09-03-2021, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World_Travel_2011 View Post
M*A*S*H would be heavily censored today. Corporal Klinger trying to use being transgender to be declared crazy would never fly. Most scenes involving Major Houlihan would be considered sexual harassment today particularly her Hot Lips nickname.
Ehm - it's on endless reruns. And it has aged really badly.

To throw something in the mix: Sixteen candles. Two sympathetic characters offhandedly discussing raping a passed-out girl. Not cool.

Old 09-03-2021, 04:13 AM

7,369 posts, read 3,533,397 times
Pretty soon you won’t see any guns in movies because it will trigger (haha) the 16 year old girl with a Twitter account

I sincerely hope that movies in the future or so boring and diluted nobody watches them and Hollywood crumbles

Old 09-03-2021, 05:09 AM

59,087 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetGlideSpecial View Post
What are some movies that in todays political and social clime would be canceled immediately? First one that comes to mine for me is Forrest Gump.

Movies that were controversial yet accepted but would not be accepted today.
"Movies You Cannot Make Today"

ALL of them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies